Personality Cafe banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Both are neurological processes with biochemical reactions that occur within and affect basically every system within us.

https://experiencelife.com/article/emotional-biochemistry/

They're connected, though there are varying hypotheses about how and why.

Theories of Emotion

Theories of Emotion - Video & Lesson Transcript | Study.com

There are also different types of thought. We begin absorbing information and stimuli from the moment we're born and our neural networks adjust accordingly (on top of the innate structure we're born with, which varies from person to person). What experiences we're exposed to, what stressors we encounter (and how those are resolved (or not resolved)), what culture our language develops within, everything, will affect how different impulses are coded as personal thoughts or emotion throughout our lives. We are virtually never without bias and we are never thinking completely independently because we always conceptualize things within a prior frame of reference about what is real or not real (though this frame of reference can expand, as from the beginning it includes potential ways to do so... as survival). Emotions are kind of catalysts to action although, if you read the different "theories", it's not that simple either. Different actions also influence thought and emotion. It's really quite fascinating.

There's a lot that science is trying to uncover about thought and emotion -- after all, understanding that the brain is an important organ is relatively new knowledge. I hope to be a part of it.

But as far as cognitive processes within this personality theory, I believe thoughts and emotions are one in the same. It's just that they manifest differently in different people, biochemical (thus motivational) impulses will differ, structure of cognition and understanding will differ.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Here's an interesting video where in the first 10 minutes he explains the difference between thinking, feeling, and emotion:

From a Jungian perspective:

Jung on the process of Thinking vs Feeling said:
Supposing we hear a noise whose nature seems to us unknown. After a while it becomes clear to us that the peculiar noise must come from air-bubbles rising in the pipes of the central heating: we have recognized the noise. This recognition derives from a process which we call thinking. Thinking tells us what a thing is.

I have just called the noise “peculiar.” When I characterize something as “peculiar,” I am referring to the special feeling-tone which that thing has. The feeling-tone implies an evaluation.

The process of recognition can be conceived in essence as comparison and differentiation with the help of memory. When I see a fire, for instance, the light-stimulus conveys to me the idea “fire.” As there are countless memory-images of fire lying ready in my memory, these images enter into combination with the fire-image I have just received, and the process of comparing it with and differentiating it from these memory-images produces the recognition; that is to say, I finally establish in my mind the peculiarity of this particular image. In ordinary speech this process is called thinking.

The process of evaluation is different. The fire I see arouses emotional reactions of a pleasant or unpleasant nature, and the memory-images thus stimulated bring with them concomitant emotional phenomena which are known as feeling-tones. In this way an object appears to us as pleasant, desirable, and beautiful, or as unpleasant, disgusting, ugly, and so on. In ordinary speech this process is called feeling.
Also:

http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/688210-function-foursomes.html

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I have almost no emotions. I'd say over 95% of the time I'm not feeling anything or, if I am, it's so repressed that I'm not aware of it and cannot tell if I'm feeling anything. My emotions are not only level, they're virtually nonexistent altogether. Is this cognitive function related? Perhaps Enneagram related? Both? Neither? Extraversion - I don't prefer to introspect and uncover emotions? I'm a Ti-Fe extravert and type 7w6, if that helps.

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
Reactions: niss

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
IMO, the best explanation of the difference between emotions and feelings is this that Van der hoop wrote:
Socionics - the16types.info - Jungian Functions in Interpretation of J. H. van der Hoop

I could add more, but I don't think anybody would understand what I'm saying... He says it well enough. Read the Introverted Feeling and Extraverted Feeling sections as well as the beginning part where he distinguishes between emotions and feeling.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.