Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my little ENTP cousin is coming over this afternoon for thanks giving, and it's my sister's and mine's job to keep him entertained, which normally is no problem, we're great with kids, but the thing is is that our couosin is kind of a handful. He was raised in front of the TV and has sadly developed ADD like tendencies. He gets bored with toys and things very easily, and even though he is an only child he does not know how to play by himself. We're not going to be able to be down there playing with him the whole time and I was hoping you all might be able to share any toys that would quickly capture his imagination and hold it there. Here's some example to help you analyse the situation:
-Coloring and painting and glue crafts is no good, he'll just scribble, splatter, or make a mess and is "done" in two seconds, leaving a horrfiic clean up behind him.
-Bored by Action figures and the like; which makes me sad because I feel like if he had just a bit more concentration he would get really into them, but he generally just abandones them, too much concentration and he'd rather just turn to my sister and I instead.

Umm . . .The location is a carpeted basement; not as kid friendly as a nursery or sometihng but not horrible.
He's 4 years old, almost 5.
Basically my main goal is just to extend the time in which he is able to be by himself entertained before he get's bored and asks for a movie. (and movies are starting to bore himsomewhat as well).

I was thinking simple bored games like trouble might be good if he has enough patienc to follow the rules and not give up or cheat or something if he's not winning which in reality he probably doesn't. Plus that would require my sister's and my presence.
I was wondering about legos . . . I think that they might work, maybe. . . You can tell I'm doubtful.
I was thinking lego logs would be great because, they're are easy to use though require some concentration, and are realistic looking, not requireing as much imagination. . . the only problem is that they don't take as long to build with, and after he's built his "perfect" building what would he do with it? Could an action figure maybe be introduced? *Rings hands excitedly*
So any ideas are much appreciated. =]

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I'm gonna go to the library and check out some books for him. (I'm not sure if he can read yet but it still is fine if he can't . . .) But, anyother ideas are MUCH appreciated!:happy:
p.s. Time is of the esscene . . .Any responses sooner rather later would be really helpful.
edit: I'm sorry for being so pushy you guys I'm just starting to feel anxious because I also have to make my self well rehersed in some of my AP lit homework and current events so I have something to talk about when my extended family comes over. Blah!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lack of responses is making me sad . . .:sad:starting to wonder why . . . :unsure:
I thought I'd be getting at least some responses . . I mean it's an easy question isn't it? Name a few toys you liked when you were a kid?
26 views and no responses other than mine own? tisk tisk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ha ha ha ha ! Such excitement.

I'd guess Legos. Something with a system to it, that the young one can still manipulate freely.

Or no toys. Imagination should run wild in little Ne dominants. It would help if he had playmates, though.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice. It's true, even with all the TV watching he does he does have a very active imagination, more than I was giving him credit for. It worked out fine yesterday, for anyone . . . who cares . . .right. anyway, he did end up watching a movie but . . . idk, I feel like he's getting better. He didn't even bother my sister and I that much, he just sort of, entertained himself I guess, or, well I'm not sure how entertained or whatever he felt be he wasn't as disruptive as he can be in the past. So that was good. . .
I realise with all this extra information I'm essencially killing this thread but I'm not that concerned see how it had very little life to begin with. . .
p.s. Thank you truly for the response. I can be way overly sensitive at times, and your response cheered me up. :) (p.s.s. where did the regular smiely face go? of the yellow ones, you can click, the normal happy one isn't there, so I had to type colon paenthesis instead. :shocked: Maybe I'll complain or something. . .:tongue:)

·
Registered
314 Posts
i think you're over thinking this. he'll figure it out and will keep himself entertained.

give him a bunch of stuff to choose from. it's good to teach kids that it's their responsibility to find their own amusement and entertainment at times, not the world's responsibility to hand it to them on a plate. i was raised just fine and I m a relatively healthy ENTP.

When i was little and i said "i'm bored" to my parents (ven though I had tons of toys to play with) they'd make me do something like grab a bucket and fill it with soapy water to wash the walls or the floors. needless to say i learned very quickly to not go to them with ideas on things to do. :confused:

·
MOTM Jan 2010
2,988 Posts
Legos!!! Good stuff right there ^^ You don't have to get any of the specialized sets. Just some basic pieces will do. I used to have more fun creating my own scenes than mimicing the ones on the box. Heck, I never really needed a whole lot of toys as a kid. I just followed my imagination around and had my own little adventures around the house.

Oh! Come to think of it, dominoes would be a good idea too. Not really to play the game with, but to make long chains that can be knocked down. When I was little, I used VHS tapes to do this, as we didn't have any dominoes :laughing: If at all possible, try to come up with a challenge that he has to overcome. Like, "I bet you can't make a lego tower taller than such and such a height." Or "Can you get the domino chain to go down stairs?" Stuff like that. The second one might be a bit too complicated, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well it's too late to help with your Thanksgiving but as an ENTP, as a kid I just wanted to chatter about whatever. If you asked me questions and paid attention I was good. Also we are pretty logical so if you explain why you want us to do something it works a lot better. Don't ever just give an ENTP an order and expect it to be obeyed, we just don't, especially as a kid. That is unless the answer is I'll beat ur butt black and blue that's why.. well it is a reason. Keep an ENTP as physically active as possible( burns up some of the energy).

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Teach him chess.

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
Legos are fantastic!

Another thing you can do, invent a game with him. I used to do that all the time. Sometimes the inventing process was more fun than the game itself.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I was the same way for the most part as a kid. Video games if you have them really helped me stay on one thing at a time.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Ipad is a great toy for ENTPs just because the ones I know are very technology savvy. But, if you want to go cheaper, I'd say visiting a hobby store. I really liked Smithsonian and other science toys when I was growing up: toy science labs, telescopes, grow your own geo rock crystals, etc.

ENTP friend in school introduced me to them. Enjoyed them very much from age 10-18, and probably still would right now

·
Registered
80 Posts
Aye, as the others said. Lego, Domino and difficult puzzles. (iq puzzles for example)

- Exerio

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Legos are for wimps. Why start small? I'd give the kid bricks.

Though not an ENTP, I'll take the liberty of answering the question because I think I share pretty similar interests with ENTPs, except the whole being social thing.

I actually agree with @LeelooDallas I could entertain myself for hours as a kid doing anything: Puzzles and crosswords, etch-a-sketch, shooting the basketball, legos. I was obsessed with spelling books, batman comics, collecting baseball cards, those toy race cars.

The beauty of being a kid is the novelty of everything. To think of it, I still kind of approach things with a child-like sort of enthusiasm and try to find novelty in simple things.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts