Personality Cafe banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
How can someone answer what it is like to be a different type if they are not both types?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sorry if this is going slightly off topic, but reading lots of desciptions on the S people, I am now slightly puzzled because normaly I test as an INTJ and recognize myself a lot in the description of it. But I did sometimes get ISTJ results and reading the descriptions honestly I also understand them, so now I'm wondering wether I'm going rather S some days or N on others !

Because in everyday life since I'm little, I prefer nature and real experiences in everyday life, I'm very sensitive to smells or feeling the sun/wind, also when at a crowded bar talking to friends, I always see everything happening around, all small details what people wear, drink and even pick on discussions.
A very important part of my life is also making music and photography, although there's absolutely nothing artsy about my work, it's all tech and problem solving.
Now I'm wondering if I'm just in between N and S, using either depending on situations !?

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,513 Posts
Sorry if this is going slightly off topic, but reading lots of desciptions on the S people, I am now slightly puzzled because normaly I test as an INTJ and recognize myself a lot in the description of it. But I did sometimes get ISTJ results and reading the descriptions honestly I also understand them, so now I'm wondering wether I'm going rather S some days or N on others !

Because in everyday life since I'm little, I prefer nature and real experiences in everyday life, I'm very sensitive to smells or feeling the sun/wind, also when at a crowded bar talking to friends, I always see everything happening around, all small details what people wear, drink and even pick on discussions.
A very important part of my life is also making music and photography, although there's absolutely nothing artsy about my work, it's all tech and problem solving.
Now I'm wondering if I'm just in between N and S, using either depending on situations !?
You do use both (everyone does), but the N vs S is only a preference to what you use more throughout your whole life. I am similar in that I also relate to both N and S. What helped me to decide on my type is to not only look at the functions as smaller parts but rather bottom up approach, and step back a bit to analyze which type is overall more like me. INTJ and ISTJ can be similar in some ways, but overall, they are quite different so I didn't find it too difficult to rule out that even though I do relate to N, I am no INTJ. Some tells are knowing without knowing, making leaps to conclusions without all the facts, being optimistic about risk in an unknown situation - I don't really relate to any of these and I believe many INTJs deeply relate to these traits. Also, INTJs seem to be more unwavering in their decision/position compared to ISTJs, because they've already come to their conclusion without depending on "all the facts". I find ISTJs to be more speculative and skeptical, always gathering all the facts before coming to conclusions. Hope this helps you differentiate between the two types.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You do use both (everyone does), but the N vs S is only a preference to what you use more throughout your whole life. I am similar in that I also relate to both N and S. What helped me to decide on my type is to not only look at the functions as smaller parts but rather bottom up approach, and step back a bit to analyze which type is overall more like me. INTJ and ISTJ can be similar in some ways, but overall, they are quite different so I didn't find it too difficult to rule out that even though I do relate to N, I am no INTJ. Some tells are knowing without knowing, making leaps to conclusions without all the facts, being optimistic about risk in an unknown situation - I don't really relate to any of these and I believe many INTJs deeply relate to these traits. Also, INTJs seem to be more unwavering in their decision/position compared to ISTJs, because they've already come to their conclusion without depending on "all the facts". I find ISTJs to be more speculative and skeptical, always gathering all the facts before coming to conclusions. Hope this helps you differentiate between the two types.
How weird because I do take risks, but they are always calculated and with all things known to mitigate F*** ups. I am also not really prompt to jump on conclusions, this doesn't even sound very logical, which wouldn't be very INTJ, so I'm even more puzzled :eek:h: about your description !

·
King of Swing
8,790 Posts
with me i've noticed i'm calm when everyone is freaking out.

the only things that annoy me are disrespect and purposefully trying to annoy me.

when it comes to planning i have none, just a serious of goals i complete by thinking about what i have to do, then simply show up.

i bask in chaos, where others are stressed, i am at my best. put me in shit and watch me come out with gold.

i get a hard on watching others finding out their full potential.

always time for everything, there's no excuse for something worth it.

love pussy and fucking.

·
Registered
289 Posts
with me i've noticed i'm calm when everyone is freaking out.

the only things that annoy me are disrespect and purposefully trying to annoy me.

when it comes to planning i have none, just a serious of goals i complete by thinking about what i have to do, then simply show up.

i bask in chaos, where others are stressed, i am at my best. put me in shit and watch me come out with gold.

i get a hard on watching others finding out their full potential.

always time for everything, there's no excuse for something worth it.

love pussy and fucking.
I used to be in Customer service, so facing angry people that try and stress you all the time, or your boss pushing you to be faster and cheaper all the time. So same for me I never waiver Under pressure and it totally freaks people out :smug: !

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
agree, that is really my first reaction as well.

it's like 'imagine a color you've never seen...' hahah
Honestly, it's not even like this is a matter of opinion, but I don't want to be too harsh on people for sharing their thoughts either.

·
King of Swing
8,790 Posts
I used to be in Customer service, so facing angry people that try and stress you all the time, or your boss pushing you to be faster and cheaper all the time. So same for me I never waiver Under pressure and it totally freaks people out :smug: !
:smug:

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,513 Posts
How weird because I do take risks, but they are always calculated and with all things known to mitigate F*** ups. I am also not really prompt to jump on conclusions, this doesn't even sound very logical, which wouldn't be very INTJ, so I'm even more puzzled :eek:h: about your description !
Oh boy, now you are more puzzled, that was not my intention - oops! Have you done a type me thread?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Oh boy, now you are more puzzled, that was not my intention - oops! Have you done a type me thread?
Don't worry I came across this interesting article https://introvertdear.com/news/intj-istj-similarities-differences/, now I can definitely see the difference and I am totally INTJ, because I don't follow system if I see flaws or they can be improved, social conventions also bore me especially those that are useless, as well as I really have this urge for freedom in my life, when my exes tried to force me into doing things, or I felt trapped in the relationship, I would run away !

I guess it's only with the various life experiences I had while travelling, that I developped myself further and am less confined on some processes than before, but yeah still pretty INTJ.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,513 Posts
Don't worry I came across this interesting article https://introvertdear.com/news/intj-istj-similarities-differences/, now I can definitely see the difference and I am totally INTJ, because I don't follow system if I see flaws or they can be improved, social conventions also bore me especially those that are useless, as well as I really have this urge for freedom in my life, when my exes tried to force me into doing things, or I felt trapped in the relationship, I would run away !

I guess it's only with the various life experiences I had while travelling, that I developped myself further and am less confined on some processes than before, but yeah still pretty INTJ.
I read the article and I have to say meh to it. It was written by an INTJ about the similarities and differences between INTJ and ISTJ; and I found it to be a bit biased towards the end. The INTJ says ISTJ is a super rigid being that is most likely to get upset if asked to open their minds to new ways to improve old methods - that is 100% false. ISTJs do prefer a tried and true method of doing things, but if enough evidence/facts are provided that a new method will be better, they will consider it and even change their old method. The key word here is facts. The difference is better explained that ISTJs really depend on facts to make their decisions (sensory data), while INTJ is more willing to take risks to make decisions even when the facts are not all laid down yet. The only part I agreed with is as follows:

"The main difference between their two personality types is the way they take in information. The S in ISTJ stands for Sensing, meaning they pay increased attention to information that comes in through their five senses (“What can I see, hear, touch, taste, and smell?”); they focus on what is actual, present, real, and current, according to the Myers & Briggs Foundation. Sensors tend to see the practical use of things, and they remember facts and details that are important to them.

INTJs, on the other hand, use iNtuition. This means they pay increased attention to the meaning and patterns behind the information they get. They look more at the big picture than the details, and they remember events more as an impression of what it was like than as actual facts about what happened, again according to the Myers & Briggs Foundation. They are interested in learning new things and thinking about what might be possible, even if there is no immediate, practical application for their ideas."

This would support what I said above that ISTJs depend on finding all pieces in the puzzle before concluding "it is a sailboat" while INTJs would be more likely to see maybe 1/3 or 1/2 of the puzzle completed before concluding "it is a sailboat".

·
Registered
289 Posts
I read the article and I have to say meh to it. It was written by an INTJ about the similarities and differences between INTJ and ISTJ; and I found it to be a bit biased towards the end. The INTJ says ISTJ is a super rigid being that is most likely to get upset if asked to open their minds to new ways to improve old methods - that is 100% false. ISTJs do prefer a tried and true method of doing things, but if enough evidence/facts are provided that a new method will be better, they will consider it and even change their old method. The key word here is facts. The difference is better explained that ISTJs really depend on facts to make their decisions (sensory data), while INTJ is more willing to take risks to make decisions even when the facts are not all laid down yet. The only part I agreed with is as follows:

"The main difference between their two personality types is the way they take in information. The S in ISTJ stands for Sensing, meaning they pay increased attention to information that comes in through their five senses (“What can I see, hear, touch, taste, and smell?”); they focus on what is actual, present, real, and current, according to the Myers & Briggs Foundation. Sensors tend to see the practical use of things, and they remember facts and details that are important to them.

INTJs, on the other hand, use iNtuition. This means they pay increased attention to the meaning and patterns behind the information they get. They look more at the big picture than the details, and they remember events more as an impression of what it was like than as actual facts about what happened, again according to the Myers & Briggs Foundation. They are interested in learning new things and thinking about what might be possible, even if there is no immediate, practical application for their ideas."

This would support what I said above that ISTJs depend on finding all pieces in the puzzle before concluding "it is a sailboat" while INTJs would be more likely to see maybe 1/3 or 1/2 of the puzzle completed before concluding "it is a sailboat".
Funny I think on this case you are projecting, because I reread and don't see any dissing more of one type or the other.
I just see that while I hate social conventions and prefer to do things in a absolutely most efficient way, you might be more comfortable in doing things the accepted way and usualy go by the rules. That's what I get from all this basically, I don't think other things can be Always so definitive and specific.

But all the rest you're explaining to me, is too specific and I don't function as you are explaining at all, I think both types aren't so enclosed in rigid dogmas if I can say.
I use my senses as much depends specifically with what I'm working, but my intuition makes me go through many possibilities, that's what it does, still it's based on facts, not perceptions. I work in watchmaking industry so really I'm about details, again this seems too broad to me and not really realistic.
I remember situations very precisely, impressions not so much, again I am based in facts not perceptions, but the rest is exact, I do learn and get interested in many things, without a direct need to Apply things, I just have this need to indulge my brain in meaningfull and interesting subjects.

I don't know if I'm making my point come across well, it's difficult to voice this, but really I think people in the memory and sensory way are much more alike, it's just what we make of it depending on situations that change, I don't think the S vs N is so precise as these description say they are.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,513 Posts

Funny I think on this case you are projecting, because I reread and don't see any dissing more of one type or the other.
I just see that while I hate social conventions and prefer to do things in a absolutely most efficient way, you might be more comfortable in doing things the accepted way and usualy go by the rules. That's what I get from all this basically, I don't think other things can be Always so definitive and specific.

But all the rest you're explaining to me, is too specific and I don't function as you are explaining at all, I think both types aren't so enclosed in rigid dogmas if I can say.
I use my senses as much depends specifically with what I'm working, but my intuition makes me go through many possibilities, that's what it does, still it's based on facts, not perceptions. I work in watchmaking industry so really I'm about details, again this seems too broad to me and not really realistic.
I remember situations very precisely, impressions not so much, again I am based in facts not perceptions, but the rest is exact, I do learn and get interested in many things, without a direct need to Apply things, I just have this need to indulge my brain in meaningfull and interesting subjects.

I don't know if I'm making my point come across well, it's difficult to voice this, but really I think people in the memory and sensory way are much more alike, it's just what we make of it depending on situations that change, I don't think the S vs N is so precise as these description say they are.
Hmm, perhaps I am projecting a bit, yes. I still feel like because it was written by an INTJ, they would by default know more about their own type than the ISTJ, so in the end, they oversimplified the examples for ISTJ. They make it seem as if the ISTJ coworker is so rigid that she is most likely unable to accept any more open minded yet more efficient ways to do things, which is simply not true. ISTJs believe in established tried and true methods because they tend to work, but when dealing with a healthy ISTJ, if you suggest to them a more efficient way to do something and it makes practical sense (not only based in theory), I do not see why they would not at least consider it.

What I was trying to make a point to in my post above is the distinction of preferences, not to make specific claims. I am saying that ISTJS difference to INTJs is that S will prefer concrete and N will prefer abstract perceptions to aid in their usage of judgement function T. To make a decision, I used an example of both types looking at a puzzle. Because S needs the physical observable facts, they may not conclude the puzzle’s outcome is until enough pieces (observable facts) are found, while N does not depend on this but rather the abstract so without the facts, they still “know without knowing” and can confidently conclude what the puzzle is before enough of the pieces are put together because of timeless archetypes and pattern recognition and such (abstract).

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hmm, perhaps I am projecting a bit, yes. I still feel like because it was written by an INTJ, they would by default know more about their own type than the ISTJ, so in the end, they oversimplified the examples for ISTJ. They make it seem as if the ISTJ coworker is so rigid that she is most likely unable to accept any more open minded yet more efficient ways to do things, which is simply not true. ISTJs believe in established tried and true methods because they tend to work, but when dealing with a healthy ISTJ, if you suggest to them a more efficient way to do something and it makes practical sense (not only based in theory), I do not see why they would not at least consider it.

What I was trying to make a point to in my post above is the distinction of preferences, not to make specific claims. I am saying that ISTJS difference to INTJs is that S will prefer concrete and N will prefer abstract perceptions to aid in their usage of judgement function T. To make a decision, I used an example of both types looking at a puzzle. Because S needs the physical observable facts, they may not conclude the puzzle’s outcome is until enough pieces (observable facts) are found, while N does not depend on this but rather the abstract so without the facts, they still “know without knowing” and can confidently conclude what the puzzle is before enough of the pieces are put together because of timeless archetypes and pattern recognition and such (abstract).
On the second paragraph, honestly if I think of everyday life, what needs to be done, I observe the "problem" completely with all ramifications, then I think of the most efficient and effective way to solve it, so I then apply correct methods on it, so for me the leading idea is being effective, whether abstract or concrete solutions will apply, I will use what suits best in getting the results wanted. I don't see that I have a clear cut distinction between the S or N, that's why I thought all these "schooltext" explanations of both types were quite reductive, but maybe my functioning is on this case out of the "boxes" I don't know.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts