Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think sometimes people who are introverted feelers think they are extroverts because they like people. INF's being the epitome of this.

I also think some extroverted thinkers can believe they are introverts because they like "things" more than people. ENTX probably being the epitome of this.

What say you?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hhahahahahahaahahahahaha man I love that post.

·
Registered
230 Posts
E becuase you can't be in an introverted extrovert, you can however be an introverted feeler and based on the introverted F's I know..they find it hard to get on with people.

Reactions: j3321

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
On the other hand, I am definitely an extrovert, but people I meet irl tend not to guess this, usually I get called an introvert. This is because I am quite reserved and a bit shy (although quite capable of being loud in certain company). Mostly though it is because I hang out with an extroverted feeler who comes across as much more extroverted than me, and what people see is the contrast.

So I, extraverted thinker, am seen as an introvert next to him, extraverted feeler.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I think sometimes people who are introverted feelers think they are extroverts because they like people. INF's being the epitome of this.
I've seen a lot of INFPs doubt their I-ness only because they're see themselves as spontaneous and capable of having fun with people. If I'm not mistaken, the nature of Fi is one that tries to find people you can relate to, no?
I dunno...Maybe I'm talking out of my ass lol

But I think that an INFJ(uses Fe) is more likely than an INFP to come off as extroverted in the general sense. What I've observed in my mom(an INFJ) is that she tries to engage people out of some kind of social responsibility. But she seems awkward doing it a lot of the time. It's a bit overwhelming because she might come home and start complaining about these people xD. But she does seem to feel some kind of social responsibility to be engaging and friendly.

I also think some extroverted thinkers can believe they are introverts because they like "things" more than people. ENTX probably being the epitome of this.
I'm just reserved...I can certainly be engaging and talkative, though.
I legitimately thought myself to be an introvert before I really learned what introversion and extroversion are in the Jungian sense.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I legitimately thought myself to be an introvert before I really learned what introversion and extroversion are in the Jungian sense.
That's interesting. That was kind of what I was thinking could happen.

I knew an INFP who was pretty wild and liked to crack jokes and have fun but was definitely an introvert. She seemed extroverted to the untrained eye though.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Part of the reason I say this is because the guy I work for is an EFSJ and I'm trying to figure out if I surgically removed the E or the F and replaced it with an I or a T which would have a bigger effect on his social activity. I thought removing the F and replacing it with a T would make the biggest difference. But then again I know some extroverted Artisans and Guardians who are T's but will not shut up under any conditions so it's a tough one.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Part of the reason I say this is because the guy I work for is an EFSJ and I'm trying to figure out if I surgically removed the E or the F and replaced it with an I or a T which would have a bigger effect on his social activity. I thought removing the F and replacing it with a T would make the biggest difference. But then again I know some extroverted Artisans and Guardians who are T's but will not shut up under any conditions so it's a tough one.
ESTJ's are way more social and talkative than ISFJ's in general, at least in my experience. ESTJ's don't care as much what people think of them, are blunt and straightforward with their ideas, and will do whatever it takes to get the job done...so they can be very social since they don't get intimidated by people. ISFJ's tend to stay behind the scenes and look to please people...they're not nearly as in-your-face as ESFJ's. So I definitely think in that case, the E makes a bigger difference than the F.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And isn't F just a style of thinking. Like, it doesn't necessarily make you social but it usually does. Whereas extroversion probably would necessarily cause you to be more social. So basically F would give an E an extra boost on top of things, but an F without the E might be a whole different story.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I'm thinkin it's gotta be E and when combined with an F usually gives it a boost as well.

Well actually, okay so the next step in this process, do you think an EXTX could potentially be more social than an EXFX? (I mean obviously yes it is possible but generally speaking). I'd put my money on the EXFX but I dunno. Does temperament come in to play? I bet a ESTP would be more social than an ESTJ as the Artisans seem more engaged with the crowd.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
It certainly makes some sense, to me. I believe Fe, Se, Ne and Fi (to a smaller extent) are the "people" functions, and somewhat in that order. Extroverting with the world of things, is what I'm still fuzzy about. I don't spend a lot of time "in my head", but I do spend a great deal of time alone. However, I'm usually doing something (forums, cleaning, organizing, working, watching movies, tinkering with gadgets, chatting, reading, etc.) I believe this is actually considered to be using an extroverted function (and the way a great many IxTx types usually extrovert), but I've not come across many articles on type, that discuss extroverting in terms of interacting with external objects, that aren't other people.

I've seen nothing that explicitly states TeSi or TeNi would have a particular draw to people. The two ESTJ's I know are pretty sociable people, but their social interaction is typically very shallow, in the sense that they always have a purpose for it; initiating business contacts, directing others in a project, gaining status, etc. They aren't close to many people and have no "emotional" based desires to interact with many. It would seem, that if socializing didn't offer them these logical gains, they would have little to no use for it.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
E is expressive towards people, and F is more responsive to them.

P also tends to responsiveness, as it is less directive or structure focused than J. People vs task is the other factor in the original temperament matrix besides introversion/extroversion.
It comes down in the Keirseyan groups as NF and SP being more people focused than NT and SJ (Berens called this "motive vs structure", and motive deals with trying to work with people, while structure is of course more impersonal). In her Interaction Styles, it is informing (SF/NP) vs directing (ST/NJ). So we see how both F and P tend to be more people-focused.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts