Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've self-typed myself as an Enneagram 3 which sounds about right for me but I've been reading the descriptions for 7, 8 and both sound like they may fit me as well. So I'm calling on the Enneagram experts of PerC to help me deduce or even suggest alternative typings for me.

So I currently think I'm a 3w4 as I identify with the need to be a high achiever but I find myself often stricken with a creative and independence streak. I'm fairly outgoing but I avoid getting too close to people and letting just anyone get too close to me, at least on a professional level. I'm not extraordinarily status-seeking but I do like to keep tabs on what's "cool" or at least what's popular.

I find starting new projects to be much more exciting than finishing them, although I can appreciate the importance of being "all about the results".

I'm pretty friendly with everyone I meet and don't let silly things like MBTI, Enneagram, or Astro-freaking-ology influence my attitudes toward a person. That isn't to say I like everyone, but I don't dislike a person unless they give me a pretty good reason not to and even then I usually don't harbor grudges for very long. Assuming of course my reasons for not liking a person were pretty minor reasons to begin with.

So what Enneagram type would be most descriptive of me? Is there any other information I should divulge in order to aid the discovery process? Thanks in advance!

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
3s can be confused with 7s and 8s, especially when it comes down to assertiveness.

3s are also known as the chameleon type, being able to put on a front to appeal to others and get ahead.

Are you playing game with life?

·
Banned
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Much like the internet, life is serious business! Hahaha I'm kidding... somewhat. Yeah I tend to think that life is somewhat of a game but I'm not as reckless with my life as I am with my games if you know what I mean. :tongue: When it comes to where I'd like to be terms of life development in say x amount of years I'm very serious and I work hard to try to achieve my goals.

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
Life being a game is a reason to not be reckless, as you are going for the top place.

A 7 would be far more reckless because they are about just doing. A 3 is more cautious. as they need to make that platform jump perfectly. Mistakes are setbacks, so we avoid failure.

I'm not too well read on 8s, but control is a large part of them.

I can see you being a 3, we are the best anyways.

·
Banned
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Life being a game is a reason to not be reckless, as you are going for the top place.

A 7 would be far more reckless because they are about just doing. A 3 is more cautious. as they need to make that platform jump perfectly. Mistakes are setbacks, so we avoid failure.

I'm not too well read on 8s, but control is a large part of them.

I can see you being a 3, we are the best anyways.
Ah, another person who grew up on platform side-scrollers I see. Hm ok so given what you've written I'm probably not a 7 as while I may seem reckless to some, I'm pretty cautious about what I do. As for being controlling, I'm not very controlling unless I absolutely have to be so maybe I'm not an 8.

Thanks Scruffy, yeah being a 3 seems pretty awesome and I wouldn't mind being a 3 at all. However, if anyone else would like to provide input I'd love to read it.

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
No problem bro, but a second opinion would help you far better. I'm really not too knowledgeable on the enneagram, but I do know 3s pretty well.

·
Banned
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, well then if you don't mind would you describe yourself and how it relates to being a 3?

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
Well, let's see:

I defiantly care what people think about me to an annoying extent, in real life I carry myself in such a way that most people have nothing bad to say about me. I activily watch and listen to peoples interactions and appeal to their interests. I'm a subtle one-upper as well, works well for your image, bad for others.

At my worst I'm not above pitting each other against each other, while simultaneously making me look better.

Those are some negatives, now with some positives:

I accomplish nearly every goal I set for myself, and I seem to command some respect and authority in the work place without trying that hard. I can appeal to people, and they usually listen to me at work. I've climbed the ladder at a job where there is no ladder.

With the simultaneous ego stroke, and self loathe I hope I've helped.

Edit: I also have to make sure I'm being taken the right way, as the opposite would harm my persona.

I'd consider those some decent 3 traits.

·
Banned
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, let's see:

I defiantly care what people think about me to an annoying extent, in real life I carry myself in such a way that most people have nothing bad to say about me. I activily watch and listen to peoples interactions and appeal to their interests. I'm a subtle one-upper as well, works well for your image, bad for others.
OK, well being social is related to being a 3?

At my worst I'm not above pitting each other against each other, while simultaneously making me look better.
Is this related to being a 3?

Those are some negatives, now with some positives:

I accomplish nearly every goal I set for myself, and I seem to command some respect and authority in the work place without trying that hard.
I'd like to think I'm the same way...

I can appeal to people, and they usually listen to me at work.
Well wouldn't anyone want to be in the same position?

I've climbed the ladder at a job where there is no ladder.
Impressive!! I wouldn't consider myself a ladder climber but climbing a ladder in a flat workplace is pro.

With the simultaneous ego stroke, and self loathe I hope I've helped.
Quite, thank you.

Edit: I also have to make sure I'm being taken the right way, as the opposite would harm my persona.

I'd consider those some decent 3 traits.
Well being a 3 sounds fantastic, but I'm not sure now...

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
The top two, I'm sure can be attributed to a 3w2 which I am.

We're only going to find some middle-ground if you're a 3w4.

·
Banned
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm not very good with threes, but I can point you in a good direction.
Follow this url, if the text rings true to you you're very likely a 3. Type Three - Typology Central
Hope it helps :happy:
Thank you Tucken! :happy: After reading the 3 description it does sound like I could be a 3 but with some of the less narcissistic traits associated with 3s. The wing descriptions were somewhat difficult to read due to unicode<?> errors but Scruffy seems to be a 3w2 and it sounds like if I am a 3, I'm much more of a 3w4 than 3w2.

I think I can safely say I'm not an 8 as I don't associate my behavior with animalistic behavior...

Reactions: Tucken
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.