Personality Cafe banner

What's my personality type? (based on questionnaire) Help :D

510 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Ambitious 
#1 ·
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and helping me to identify my personality type. This is very interesting to me, but I understand it must be tiring to read through such long answers. Thanks again :) Hope you have a nice day!

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

Stressful situation?: I'm working part-time(4h/week), while graduating from high school (in December this year). And top that with various co-curricular activities. But I'm not really stressed out - I feel relaxed actually.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

Michael Brandt: Marconi Cyprus Tunnel (can't seem to attach the url with this post, so you can see this picture by typing that title on google images - first image that comes out is the picture I saw. I apologise for the inconvenience)

I think it's a beautiful place. I've been somewhere where the view is so nice before, but the trees have never towered me like so. I can imagine myself walking through here, enjoying a peaceful tranquility. The photo is well-taken: it's very symmetrical :) The trees seem to be growing to the left haha, so I presume the sun rises on the left.
Although this area is called a tunnel, I would rather refer to it as a pathway. It's not claustrophobic like a tunnel; instead it has a very natural, homely feel about it. I would like to take a walk here if I could.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

My thoughts: Oh no, we're stranded! I'd feel really panicky because it's my only chance to see my favourite band, and I'd feel so annoyed that such a situation would happen at the worst time ever.
My reaction: No reaction but look shocked, and turn to look at my friends and say "uh oh". I'd then check whether the car has enough gas. If there is, and there's a technician in the car, I'd tell him/her to go check out the engine (but of course they'd most likely have done so already).

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

If the person promises not to drink, and has proven to be reliable most of the time, I'd trust them and have a good time. If I'm not good friends with the person, I'd not drink to stay sober, so I could drive the group home/make sure the driver doesn't drink-drive. But I'd still have a good time talking to my friends, or dancing :)
If I'm tired, I'd just lounge around and watch the rest have a good time. Maybe I'd sit and talk to another friend who's not into dancing/partying either.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

If it's a factual problem:
Inward response: "Oh my god this person is so dumb"
Outward response: Probably start arguing with the person and using facts/theories to invalidate their claim.

If it's a subjective problem:
Inward response: "What a weird way of thinking!"
Outward response: Wait for them to finish talking and if their argument makes little sense, I'd argue with them. If they refuse to listen to me I'd shut up and just roll my eyes, flare up inside and think of how stupid they are. If their argument is sensible, I'd say "let's agree to disagree" and present my point anyway.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

My beliefs dominate me and it's very hard to change them. If I see something that clashes against them, I will try to reason to myself why such an experience/sight is an anomaly, or how such an event could happen despite the fact that my belief holds true. However, I sometimes have to be forced to accept that my theory is wrong - especially if I cannot make sense of what I saw/experienced. But I will need more than just one situation to change my mind completely.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

Respect: Regardless of whether someone is older or younger, they deserve respect. I believe that respect is regardless of age - it's more about reciprocation. If someone respects me, I have to likewise respect them. But I have no obligation to respect someone if they do not respect me. This value will not change for me.

Self-control/self-respect: This is big for me because I feel that a person, including myself, should be able to take care of themselves independently. One should be independent in making decisions and not doing what one knows is wrong. A person should take charge of their own life and lead it to the right path, whatever it may be. Don't do drugs, don't drink too much, don't smoke....a person should truly respect themselves and make sure they don't stupidly do things that harm themselves. I used to play computer games for 10h/day when I was younger, and it affected my grades negatively. So I learned to stop on my own and my grades went back up again. I feel that learning to control myself.
Actually, an almost perfect world can be created with just this quality. Education forces many of us to understand the correct moral values, but it is only through self-control that we will be able to prevent ourselves from doing the morally wrong things. Sure, we are capable of goodness but everyone has flaws. Sometimes people get greedy, and want to cheat/lie. But with self-control, such petty crimes + bigger crimes like drug-dealing can be stopped. Of course, society is much more complex but really, a lot of problems can be solved with self-control.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

a) I think that I'm different to a lot of people
For one, I'm really blunt. I'm not always completely honest (because I try to be more tactful), but sometimes criticisms just slip out of my mouth like a waterfall. It offends people a lot, even though I would bet that everyone judges others anyway. Conversely, I can deal with criticisms pretty well because I'm generally aware of my flaws.
Two, I'm really ambitious and it shows quite clearly (also suggested by my name). I chase success in everything I do, and I have long-term goals. I know what I want in life and I do the right things to get there.
Three, I cannot tolerate over-emotional people - people who spend hours mourning about very small stuff. I can get over my sadness pretty quickly, but other people just drag it on. The irony is a lot of my friends confide in me emotionally, which irritates me to the core. But I shut up and give them practical solutions, which they reject...which makes me more mad. I haven't seen anyone who's so easily annoyed with emotional issues as I am before.

b) I would try to care more about my appearances. I do want to look nice and I admire nice bodies/dress code but I'm too lazy to put on make-up and diet to look better. I really want to look nice to make a good impression, but it just doesn't bother me enough to spend time putting makeup/put effort into dieting.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

My hunches are generally wrong haha! When my parents come home late after going out for a while/come back from work 0.5h later than usual I would get worried, imagining they might be kidnapped. I don't overreact but I call them (and again if they didn't pick up) just to make sure they're ok.
I also have hunches about my grades. If I think I did well, I usually do badly. Conversely, the more worried I am for something, the more likely it is that I did well. Oh the irony - my intuition is terrible.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

a) Joking around with my friends. We either play tricks on others or sit around and just laugh. It's just feels so carefree to have fun, especially in this time when everyone around me is stressed out by the workload. I haven't been having a lot of fun lately because I'm far away from my close friends and as much as I enjoy the company of my current friends, I prefer the times I spend with my old friends (different personalities I guess).

b) Hearing my friends rant about their insignificant day-to-day problems. They wear me because I don't have problems of my own (at least hardly ever) and it's just tiring to listen to these insignificant stuff after a long day.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

I try not to hurt others so I try not to criticise them, because I know that many people are intolerant of criticism and it's not like they will try to improve just because I attack them verbally. But I still do it anyway because *guilty* I forget about control sometimes. I also try to seem as humble as possible because I don't want people to see me as competitive and ambitious as I really am because I think it makes me scary. People still know I'm ambitious and competitive, but not CRAZY about it. But inside, I am CRAZY about it hahaha.
Seriously though, I'll let loose completely once I finish my major exams. Right now I'll just bulldoze through my work.

Thanks to @Fried Eggz for pointing this questionnaire out to me :)

And my apologies for any grammar/spelling mistakes! I did this in a bit of a hurry (but the answers are still honest and thoughtful)

*Just to note: I did my mbti tests before and results show me to either be ESTJ/ENTJ. I would identify myself as more ESTJ, but this questionnaire is intended as a fresh start for figuring out my personality type! Any comments and suggestions are welcome :) Thanks lots!

See less See more
#2 ·
You're answering this so well that I'm almost suspicious that you're rigging it.

My beliefs dominate me and it's very hard to change them. If I see something that clashes against them, I will try to reason to myself why such an experience/sight is an anomaly, or how such an event could happen despite the fact that my belief holds true. However, I sometimes have to be forced to accept that my theory is wrong - especially if I cannot make sense of what I saw/experienced. But I will need more than just one situation to change my mind completely.
Weak Ni; Ni is very sceptical, but open minded. Trying to preserve your beliefs suggests Si, if I'm not mistaken.

But I shut up and give them practical solutions
Whenever you give someone advice or help, you use your auxiliary. Because you're offering practical solutions, your auxiliary is most likely a sensing function.

My hunches are generally wrong haha!
That suggests you don't have strong Ni. It also suggests you're humble enough to admit weakness.

I also try to seem as humble as possible because I don't want people to see me as competitive and ambitious as I really am because I think it makes me scary.
Competitive people are usually Fi users.

I don't want people to see me...
I'm thinking Fi again. I don't remember any Fe users uttering this phrase.

I retract my previous statement. You definitely seem like an ESTJ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.