Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's my type? I don't think I'm an INFP but I don't know...

I was originally typed as an INFP, but after reading the description (and looking at the functions list) I don't think I am. I doubt I'm actually Fi dominant - I'm a very rational, logical person and when making decisions, and I don't let my emotions effect me that much (I still do though, just not to the extent that Fi dominant types should). As bad as it sounds, I'm also not all that much of a humanitarian or anything. I know I use Ne...but I really don't know about the rest. Anyways thanks for helping!

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

As for I vs. E, I have a lot of trouble in social situations. I have little to no people skills, and sometimes when talking to someone I’ll just flounder and want to get away as fast as possible. Other times I can be outgoing and full of interesting things to say – honestly, it just depends on my confidence that day. I still do need my alone time (I think everyone does though), and I hate large groups. I feel much more comfortable with people I know well, and I dislike really outgoing people who try to be friendly with me when we don’t know each other all that well. But still, I really really enjoy the company of others, and when I'm having a "good day" I definitely get my energy from social interaction. I know I’m N, that’s never been a problem. For F vs T, I’m a very logical person, and I like to analyze and make logical conclusions, solve puzzles, and play chess...stuff like that. However, I’m very sensitive to criticism and I don’t like it when people don’t take feelings into consideration or are blatantly mean or honest to the point of being insulting. I think I’m a P, although I’m not completely sure.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

I want something to strive for. I want a reason to be, and a passion, and something to work towards. Something exciting. Something new and different. I want to feel fulfilled and happy and I want to follow who I am and what I believe in. I want a good circle of friends who accept me, and who I genuinely like, and who I can have interesting discussions with without having to change myself. I want to be constantly learning and expanding my knowledge, but without being under pressure. I think I yearn for these things because right now, I’m kind of living without a real goal or purpose (I’m still in high-school) and there’s a lot of pressure on me and it’s hard to deal with. I’m also kind of surrounded by people who I feel don’t understand me and who are deeply shallow, and it makes me sad.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

I felt like I was at my finest when I won a competition for a piece of art that I did, and I had to go up in front of a large crowd and explain my work in detail and give a speech-ish thing about the concept behind it. It wasn’t that prestigious of a competition, and the crowd wasn’t that big, just around fifty people or so. Even still, I was incredibly nervous, but I pulled it off really well and people were congratulating me for weeks. (Also, the painting was really good – if it hadn’t been, I might not have accepted 1[SUP]st[/SUP] place and refused to give a speech or something…I’m weird like that)

4) What makes you feel inferior?

When people criticize me- I am incredibly sensitive by anyone’s standards. I also feel inferior when something I have done that I think is excellent isn’t validated. It also happens when I don’t perform as well as my “competitors” academically, or if I don’t figure out the answer before everyone else. I compare myself to others way too much and that tends to make me feel really inferior.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

When making decisions, I think about how I feel or how it would make others feel/the emotional aspects, but I also think about the negative and positive things that the decision would entail and analyze those. When actually deciding something, I tend to rely on whichever point I think is the most important all things considered, be it emotional or not.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

I can be overly controlling. When working on a project, I have to be in total control, because I believe that no else will be able to do it as well as I will. I need to have control over the outcome. However, that is only when I care about the project and think that the project has value – if I don’t, I’ll be a complete slacker and let everyone else do all the work, not caring about the outcome at all.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. What is your memory of it?

One time I had a lot of fun was when my two best friends and I visited Switzerland, bought a day-pass for public transportation, and just randomly got on trains. We went all the way across the country and back, with no schedule, no planning, and nowhere to be, just sitting on random trains and talking (we have very interesting conversations). Every time we got off the train (again, we got off when we wanted, basically depending on what train station was nicer or what town name was more fun to say XD) we would go into a shopping mall or any other crowded place, and put on a persona – typically we would be loud, obnoxious and ignorant. It was hilarious.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

Definitely to theorize.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

I am disorganized to the point of complete and utter dysfunctionality.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I need to understand the principles first and foremost, or I’ll never be able to do anything with the idea.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

Both. I would never be able to compromise on either of those, but I also need to be working towards something bigger.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

Speak before thinking, but then think about what I’ve said, revise my statement, and then expand on that. I need to talk about my ideas to fully understand them. I prefer one on one communication by far. The smaller the group, the better.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speak more than words?

I usually think before I act. Sometimes I think too much and don’t ever act. And yes and no to weather action speaks louder than words – it honestly depends on the situation.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

Stay home and watch my show...I don't like "interruptions" to my schedule (by my schedule, I mean whatever I've randomly decided to do) unless I think of the interruption. If someone else imposes it, I'll resent them. I'd also probably be too lazy to get up and go :/

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

I become an awful muddle of procrastination that is incapable of productivity and is extremely volatile.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

Some people are incapable of listening to valid arguments and rational reasoning, and stick to the rules and conventions even though they don’t make sense. I dislike people who don’t understand theory or concepts, and I find them boring and pointless to talk to. I also dislike fake and shallow people.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

I like analyzing people, or society as a whole with other people, and I like discussing big questions / having never ending theoretical discussions.

18) What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?

Details. Things that have to be done that I don’t want to do. Chores. Everyday tasks. Cleaning.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

My friends perceive me as shy, intelligent, disorganized, unique, imaginative, and idealistic. (I know this because we spend a long time analyzing each other) They think that I’m very introverted and very laid back – this can be true, however they don’t know the side of me that can be very outgoing and incredibly rigid, stubborn, inflexible and thinks that I’m right all the time. My friends would never say that I’m a shallow close-minded person who is very organized and disciplined.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

I would like to go somewhere new, somewhere exciting and fun with my friends. Maybe see a concert or something. That, or I’d spend the whole day reading or on the computer playing games, or I'd read or do research online about stuff that interests me.

Thanks for helping guys! :proud:

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
What I would suggest is not focusing on the type descriptions and more on the functions behind them. "Illogical" is hardly what I'd call any type, even someone with introverted Feeling as their top function (each function has its own type of logic and way of processing information, that's all). I am going to suggest that your dominant function is Fi with Te as your inferior. So that might make you an INFP or an ISFP. I'm not sure about the auxiliary or tertiary functions to make a certain call but I am leaning towards INFP. I have a question to ask. When you're trying to figure something out how do you theorize? I mean, what's your thought process? What kids of big, unanswerable questions do you like to talk about?

If you want to think about Enneagram for half a sec, too, I'd guess 4...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I just mentioned the illogical part because a lot of things seem to be circulating about Fi dominant types being "illogical" in the kind of "not good at making logical connections and making rational arguments" way, which I don't identify with.

To answer your questions, when trying to figure something out, I usually think of different possibilities and jump to conclusions in a kind of explosive domino effect.
As an example of a "big question" that I like to talk about, earlier today, my friend and I were discussing whether or not emotions developed to serve an evolutionary purpose, and if this makes them somehow less "noble" or less real in some way. That kind of thing, along with the usual "What happens after death?" and "What is reality?" sort of questions.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I just mentioned the illogical part because a lot of things seem to be circulating about Fi dominant types being "illogical" in the kind of "not good at making logical connections and making rational arguments" way, which I don't identify with.

To answer your questions, when trying to figure something out, I usually thinks of different possibilities and jump to conclusions in a kind of explosive domino effect.
As an example of a "big question" that I like to talk about, earlier today, my friend and I were discussing whether or not emotions developed to serve an evolutionary purpose, and if this makes them somehow less "noble" or less real in some way. That kind of thing, along with the usual "What happens after death?" and "What is reality?" sort of questions.
Ah, the beauty of Ne that you can sometimes see.
The whole open-ended questions without a clear answer.

Anyways, Fi dom =/= less smart
Te is just structure. It has nothing to do with intelligence.
I've seen my share of stupid ITPs and ITJs, lol.
Like an INTP who desperately argued with me that a physicist professor knows just as much psychology as a sociology professor. Even tho sociology is basically psychology, but on a wide scale and more practical.
Then again, maybe he got annoyed because I called him (the INTP is a physicist professor) a psychology amateur because he had no education in psychology.

Anyways,
Intelligence = Collection of knowledge stored in your brain
MBTI = How you think

The stereotype that Fs are stupid is far beyond wrong.
My close INTP friend trusts few others than me to look through his ideas and point out inconsistencies and give him more ideas etc. and INTPs generally don't like it when you criticize their ideas. Still he invited me to do it.
Not to forget that just about everyone that has listened to me had commented that I'm incredibly knowledgeable for my age.
And ofc. I sat and talked with my ENTJ buddy and no one else in the room understood what we were saying (and that was a natural conversation for me).

Short story - Intelligence is gained. You aren't born to become intelligent or stupid.

I like the quote
"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." - Donny Miller

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - I can see how I came across as saying that I thought Fi dominant types were not as intelligent, but I honestly didn't mean it like that. I just meant that I had seen stuff about them being less adapted to reason, and more attuned to making decisions based on how they felt about them (which I know doesn't make you any more or less intelligent) and usually not with their heads, which is something I don't do all that much. I know an ENTP who asked me whether Darwin believed in evolution... not that intelligence has much to do with knowing facts (in my opinion) but still, it was pretty funny.

So, back to the question, do you think I'm an INFP? Anyways, thanks for helping!

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Thanks - I can see how I came across as saying that I thought Fi dominant types were not as intelligent, but I honestly didn't mean it like that. I just meant that I had seen stuff about them being less adapted to reason, and more attuned to making decisions based on how they felt about them (which I know doesn't make you any more or less intelligent) and usually not with their heads, which is something I don't do all that much. I know an ENTP who asked me whether Darwin believed in evolution... not that intelligence has much to do with knowing facts (in my opinion) but still, it was pretty funny.

So, back to the question, do you think I'm an INFP? Anyways, thanks for helping!
Indeed I do!
You seem like you got Fi and I already stated that I saw Ne.

My ESFP sister for example is extremely competitive and she always wants to be the best and be rich. It's her way of expressing her Fi. What she wants for her life.

The feeling function is after all the valuing function - What do I want? What do we want? What do they want? What is best for me? what is best for us? What is best for them?

Fi prefers to ask "What do I want and what is best for me?"

How you get there is then up to the other functions:tongue:

Maybe you should take a look at ISFP as well.
I want something to strive for. I want a reason to be, and a passion, and something to work towards. Something exciting. Something new and different. I want to feel fulfilled and happy and I want to follow who I am and what I believe in.
The rest is just a bunch of Fi in this one.

A bit more that could be seen as Se
I would like to go somewhere new, somewhere exciting and fun with my friends. Maybe see a concert or something. That, or I’d spend the whole day reading or on the computer playing games, or I'd read or do research online about stuff that interests me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts