Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

The main problem I am running into when typing myself is that I feel that both logic and feelings are both needed when making decisions. I generally score around 50% in the Thinking vs. Feeling score when I take the test. I can think of situations where I used logic to determine my route, but then others where feelings influenced me the most. I'm a very principled person with my own inner sense of morality(INFP), but I also can over analyze the hell out of things, and I've always had a love for science(INTP).

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

This is one of the questions I have always pondered in my life up to this point. I'm extremely concerned with finding meaning in my life and finding my place in this world. I'd say that I yearn for personal success, where I am able to do what I feel is important. I try not to be influenced by others in making personal decisions. I'm a very anti-materialistic person, in that money has never been a chief concern for me. I'd never not consider a job because it "has no money in it". Basically, I am looking for internal success as a person, success based on doing the things I feel are most important to me.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

I pride myself on not being very susceptible to peer pressure. Times when I reject drugs/alcohol, and don't fall into the trap of doing what people think is popular are when I feel at my finest. I have a very strong core of inner principles(as I've said before) and I feel very confident when I am able to stand by these principles, even though I may be looked down upon by others, even my own friends.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

I feel most inferior when someone criticizes something I care a lot about. I have a lot of trouble taking criticism. I love to write, and I am considering a career becoming a novelist, but I have trouble when people read my writing. I also had a particularly bad experience when a 10 page screenplay I wrote was basically laughed at for a fair amount of errors.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

I tend to delay my decisions because I don't like to close my door fully. I really like to keep my options open. When I make a final decision I feel set on that, which really, really irks me.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

I do not like to have control of the outcome. I naturally tend to fade to the background when working with a group. If the project if something to do with school, I tend to only do what's asked of me. I don't express myself as much. If the project is something outside of my required schooling, I tend to express myself creatively as much as I can. I try to make it very personal, and I delve deeper than I usually would in a school situation.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

One of my favorite memories is surfing on the coast of California with my family. We would stay at a house right off the beach, with the greatest surf you could possibly imagine. At night, we would get together(about 8 of us) and play board games for hours on end. I really felt a connection with my family during these summer vacations that I had never felt before.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

I'm definitely a pattern/connection guy. I have trouble memorizing things in school, unless I can find a solid pattern that allows me to fully understand it. When approaching a new subject, I also tend to theorize and OVER analyze the hell out of it. A good example would actually be a video game, Starcraft 2. Before I purchased the game, I spent a lot of time theorizing on which race I would main, or which build I was going to use against each of the races. I tend to value theory above all else.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

From just looking at my desk, you would ask yourself how I was able to live with such clutter. But it does not bother me, and most of my seemingly organized friends lose more papers than I ever have.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I tend to try to understand the ideas behind it before coming to a conclusion. In terms of a school situation, I really try to understand the underlying principles behind a concept, rather than just memorizing the information needed to do the assigned problems.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

I feel harmony when I follow my beliefs and when I am true to my self. I strive to follow my inner principles, and to reject peer pressure. I do try to make sure everyone is comforted, though I am always the priority.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

I always think before I speak. I am very hesitant when speaking in front of a large group, and I prefer to be engaged in one-on-one conversations. I feel like a connect on a deeper level with just one person.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

I like to know where I'm jumping before leaping. I tend to research things extensively before jumping to them. But I'm not sure which speaks louder between actions and words. Both can be deceiving...

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

Stay at home and watch my show, definitely.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

I tend to try to get away from the stresses. I love reading, taking a shower, or just going on a nice walk through the neighborhood when I am stressed out. I generally get lost in the worlds of books or movies when I'm stressed and become too detached from reality. I have real trouble confronting the stress head on, as I'm always trying to run away from it.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

I dislike people who follow the crowd, just to be popular. I like authentic, genuine people. I also dislike extremely loud and bossy personalities. Pisses me off so much. I dislike the person who is the "life" of the party. I don't why, they just annoy me.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

I like talking about philosophy, astronomy(especially cosmology I loved big ideas), literature, and movies. I tend to be more interested in the universal ideas, and I get bored of the mundane, monotonous life I am used to living. One problem I have is that there are not many people at my school who are interested in the things I am, so I rarely have satisfying conversations with people.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?

The practical stuff. I always forget to do things like put my clothes away, take out the trashcans, or clean my room. I'm fairly absent-minded.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

Most of my friends consider to be a funny, laid back, and quiet guy. I am not considered very serious by my friends, and they wouldn't think of me as a guy interested in things such as philosophy/cosmology. Many of my inner feelings are kept secret by me, because I have trouble expressing my feelings to most people. I would say I don't have any "close" friends, who I could pour my heart out to. For the most part, I only have acquaintances.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

Read a good book, watch some TV. Surf the web for random, interesting theories/philosophies. Ponder the universe, take a nice walk just observing nature.

Thanks for reading. It definitely did take a while to write. I have all the ideas in my head, but sometimes it can take a while to get them to paper haha.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
INTP and INFP are actually incredibly different due to different (and opposing) dominant functions.

I would say you are an INFP. You see life as centering around meaning and purpose- an N sentiment, not an S one (S would be more likely to say something like "Biologically, it's just to reproduce, and non biologically, there isn't one."- it doesn't interpret any hidden meaning or secret purpose as it perceives there as being none). While your N looks more like Ni than Ne, that is OK. Auxiliary and tertiary functions are not nearly as set in stone as dominant and inferior- they are more fluid, and having N auxiliary more like Ni than Ne is not out of the ordinary, and you might notice that at other times it seems to resemble Ne more. Again- they are not as clear cut as the dominant-inferior dynamic.

Now for Fi. You run on how you value things and how you judge them- you have an almost defiant attitude towards using external means for evaluating things, inferior Te in your case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts