Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

I suspect I may suffer from certain mental issues but I haven't gone to therapy to get diasgnosed yet, so I can't disclose them...suffice it to say that I am in an unhealthy state of mind and that I have been so for a very long time now.

2. Study these two images here and here. Which one do you prefer and why? How would you describe it?

These descriptions may not be very good, but I'll try to elaborate anyways.

I prefer the first picture (depicting an aurora borealis). It's like the dawn of a new time, it has an alien feel to it, it's like looking at the vastness of space, it makes me think that a connection between seperate worlds had been established, it almost has something spiritual to it.

The second one isn't good. I imagine the person in the picture trying to have small talk with me during a boring breakfast...and casually sniding remarks about me, asking personal questions, then the awkward silence and stares, them impatiently tapping their finger on the table waiting for me to give them a response, and the growing sense of anxiety I'll feel.

Here's another image test in case the last one wasn't useful:
Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

Here is the image I chose.
It's surreal, fantasy-like, childlike yet creepy. It makes me think of old fairy tales and folklore. I imagine one could explore those woods to find either fantasical and wonderous adventures, or terrifying secrets. I also thought about "The chronicles of Narnia" for some reason. It was one of my favourite fantasy books as a child.

3. Please describe yourself as a person if you were to introduce yourself to someone else like in a cover letter. What kind of person are you and why?

I don't know how to describe myself.

What would this person expect from me? Am I supposed to say certain things specifically? Is it a cover letter for a job, or is this a friend or a penpal?

I'm not sure.

4. What kind of person would you LIKE to be? Why? What kind of person would you NOT want to be? Why?

I have a vague image in my head of who I'd like to be in the future. Someone succesful and independent. Someone in control of themselves.
I think I'm always trying to play the part of something I'm not, in hopes one day I'll become that person.

5. Do you think there are any differences to how you described yourself and how people actually perceive you? How do you think others would describe you? If there are any discrepancies between these two that are you are aware of; do you know why exactly that is?

I generally keep my own self away from people and try to conform to their expectations of who I am supposed to be. I'm not sure if this is due to low self esteem. Maybe in the future I'll be more assertive and become the person that I want to be, (the one I described in the previous answer).

6. What in life do you find to be of importance? Why? If you are unsure you can always take the Value Test and post the results here. Do note that it helps if you narrow it down to 20 or ideally 10 values as suggested at stage 2.

My personal values:Figuring out the truth, finding purpose and meaning.

7. How do you react to new situations in your life? Can you describe an event in your life where you were in an unknown situation? How did you deal with it?

I don't like to deal with situations that are completely sudden and for which I haven't prepared yet. However, even if I may initially panic, but I generally am able to find the best way to resolve them.

8. Please describe yourself when you are in a stressful situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

It depends. I've become more in control of myself, so I try to stay calm and find out what to do. But I don't do well in social situations, they too stressful for me, and if I ever find myself to be extremely depressed and stressed out things end up getting worse.

9. Please describe yourself when you are in an enjoyable situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

I can't think of one.

10. Describe your relationship to socialization. How do you perceive one-on-one interaction? How do you perceive group interaction?

I'm not good at either types of socialization. I've been bad at socializing with people throughout all of my life, to the point where I'm starting to think I may have some sort of mental issue impending me from doing it.

11. Describe your relationship to society. What are the elements of it you hold important or unimportant (e.g. social norms, values, customs, traditions)? How do you see people as a whole?

I don't think about people that much. I don't even sure if I see myself as human. Socializing makes me feel deeply uncomfortable, although sometimes I wish there would be one person who just gets it. A mutual understanding of some sort.

12. Describe your relationship to authority. How do you perceive authority? What does it mean to you, and how do you deal with it?

Even if I realize authority may be necessary in some situations.... I tend to dislike authority. I've always found authority figures to be generally incompetent, overly rigid in their thinking, resistant to change and most of all corrupt. But I don't usually show outright it due to fear of consequences.

13. Describe your relationship to order and chaos. What do order and chaos mean to you? How do they manifest in your daily life?

I've thought about this yet I cannot find an answer yet. In a nutshell I think I view order and chaos as being in a symbiotic relationship where one is always both conflicting with and dependant on the other.

14. What is it that you fear in life? Why? How does this fear manifest to you both in how you think and how you act?

Living an empty, meaningless and mundane life or never being able to understand things deeply.

(I'll skip to question 17)

17. Why do you want to know your type? What type do you think you are? Why this/these type(s)? Is there a type that appeals to you, to your self-perception, that you would like to be? Why? If you know your enneagram, please post this here. If you have done any online function tests such as the Keys2Cognition, it helps if you post these results here as well.

I suddenly realized that I'm an adult yet I have no awareness of who I am or what I want. I hopes MBTI would help with that but I wasn't able to type myself. I've considered a few types but I was unable to verify them. I think my sense of identity is too unstable for me to be able to type myself, so I seek external sources of information to define myself (such as asking people what they think of me, or taking multiple test...). The problem with this is that people often have conflicting views of who I am, or views that when questioned aren't completely correct. I've also found myself to try to conform, even unconscously, to the descriptions I am given, so if I get typed as a certain type I start acting as stereotipically as possible to that type's descriptions, so it ends up being a self fulfilling prophecy. I just have no idea of who I am at all. Maybe this time things will turn out differently.

·
Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
901 Posts
I can type you more easily with these (it's like my personal test, I use it in 1 to 1 interactions to type people):

1. When things go wrong, some problem or unknown situation emerges, do you retreat and seek the solution in yourself (introspection), or the solution is in others? It has to be genuinely new situation/unknown, you feel perplexed.
  2. Do you prefer to leave your "options open" or to come immediately with a decision? (At least minor decision and then go with it.)
  3. Do you find yourself more often in a moment, experiencing the sensory surroundings, or would you say you are prone to overthinking possibilities, envisioning scenarios....?
  4. What is your preference for understanding individuals (who) vs understanding logic/abstract rules (what). Do you prefer managing systems or people?

Reactions: momentum

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Alright, I just can't resist. Let's go.

1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

I suspect I may suffer from certain mental issues but I haven't gone to therapy to get diasgnosed yet, so I can't disclose them...suffice it to say that I am in an unhealthy state of mind and that I have been so for a very long time now.
That can give some unexpected results. It's possible that the typing process goes wrong when there's variables playing along that are unknown. Just know that if I don't have all of the information, my conclusions are less reliable.

2. Study these two images here and here. Which one do you prefer and why? How would you describe it?

These descriptions may not be very good, but I'll try to elaborate anyways.

I prefer the first picture (depicting an aurora borealis). It's like the dawn of a new time, it has an alien feel to it, it's like looking at the vastness of space, it makes me think that a connection between seperate worlds had been established, it almost has something spiritual to it.

The second one isn't good. I imagine the person in the picture trying to have small talk with me during a boring breakfast...and casually sniding remarks about me, asking personal questions, then the awkward silence and stares, them impatiently tapping their finger on the table waiting for me to give them a response, and the growing sense of anxiety I'll feel.
Your first description makes me think of intuition for you. Your description isn't about what you physically see but about the associations that come with it.
The second one makes me think of Fi and Ne. You have strong opinions about the situation and play out a scenario instantly. You focus a lot on your own feelings in that situation and I see a lot of reasons to think you might be introverted.
First guess would be INFP, but we have a lot of ground to cover, so let's not jump to conclusions.

Here's another image test in case the last one wasn't useful:
Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

Here is the image I chose.
It's surreal, fantasy-like, childlike yet creepy. It makes me think of old fairy tales and folklore. I imagine one could explore those woods to find either fantasical and wonderous adventures, or terrifying secrets. I also thought about "The chronicles of Narnia" for some reason. It was one of my favourite fantasy books as a child.
Again, relating things to personal memories, that is very common for Fi + Si. You still seem intuitive, given how much you focus on your impressions rather than your observations.

3. Please describe yourself as a person if you were to introduce yourself to someone else like in a cover letter. What kind of person are you and why?

What would this person expect from me? Am I supposed to say certain things specifically? Is it a cover letter for a job, or is this a friend or a penpal?

I'm not sure.
Not giving any description here makes it really difficult for me to type you based on anything.

4. What kind of person would you LIKE to be? Why? What kind of person would you NOT want to be? Why?

I have a vague image in my head of who I'd like to be in the future. Someone succesful and independent. Someone in control of themselves.
I think I'm always trying to play the part of something I'm not, in hopes one day I'll become that person.
This is actually very typical for Fi-dominants. Inferior Te leads many of them to value success and independence and of course the control that comes with that image.
This fits extremely well with the INFP hypothesis.

5. Do you think there are any differences to how you described yourself and how people actually perceive you? How do you think others would describe you? If there are any discrepancies between these two that are you are aware of; do you know why exactly that is?

I generally keep my own self away from people and try to conform to their expectations of who I am supposed to be. I'm not sure if this is due to low self esteem. Maybe in the future I'll be more assertive and become the person that I want to be, (the one I described in the previous answer).
This could work with either Fe or Fi and it depends a lot on context. Without further information I'm going to say this could fit with Fi.

6. What in life do you find to be of importance? Why? If you are unsure you can always take the Value Test and post the results here. Do note that it helps if you narrow it down to 20 or ideally 10 values as suggested at stage 2.

My personal values:Figuring out the truth, finding purpose and meaning.
Strong idea of personal values is typical for Fi, so that would fit. The types of values can fit with Ne or Te for example, although values are more often given by upbringing than MBTI type.

7. How do you react to new situations in your life? Can you describe an event in your life where you were in an unknown situation? How did you deal with it?

I don't like to deal with situations that are completely sudden and for which I haven't prepared yet. However, even if I may initially panic, but I generally am able to find the best way to resolve them.
This could fit with an intuitive judging type and is on its own less likely for an INFP. However, it can fit with the type. INFPs have trouble taking decisive action, which seems to be your issue here.

8. Please describe yourself when you are in a stressful situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

It depends. I've become more in control of myself, so I try to stay calm and find out what to do. But I don't do well in social situations, they too stressful for me, and if I ever find myself to be extremely depressed and stressed out things end up getting worse.
Fits very well with inferior Te. Getting stressed by social situations isn't really linked to any specific type, but could work for INFP.
Otherwise, you are keeping things so vague that it's hard to really know anything for sure here.

9. Please describe yourself when you are in an enjoyable situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

I can't think of one.
That might link up with something like clinical depression, which isn't part of MBTI, but it might be relevant for your personal development.

10. Describe your relationship to socialization. How do you perceive one-on-one interaction? How do you perceive group interaction?

I'm not good at either types of socialization. I've been bad at socializing with people throughout all of my life, to the point where I'm starting to think I may have some sort of mental issue impending me from doing it.
This could fit with Ti dominant in theory, although it also fits with a number of psych problems that fall outside of the scope of MBTI. Not sure what to make of it here.

11. Describe your relationship to society. What are the elements of it you hold important or unimportant (e.g. social norms, values, customs, traditions)? How do you see people as a whole?

I don't think about people that much. I don't even sure if I see myself as human. Socializing makes me feel deeply uncomfortable, although sometimes I wish there would be one person who just gets it. A mutual understanding of some sort.
Not sure if there's anything here that really relates to MBTI?

12. Describe your relationship to authority. How do you perceive authority? What does it mean to you, and how do you deal with it?

Even if I realize authority may be necessary in some situations.... I tend to dislike authority. I've always found authority figures to be generally incompetent, overly rigid in their thinking, resistant to change and most of all corrupt. But I don't usually show outright it due to fear of consequences.
Again Te. Could be in any position based on this particular answer.

13. Describe your relationship to order and chaos. What do order and chaos mean to you? How do they manifest in your daily life?

I've thought about this yet I cannot find an answer yet. In a nutshell I think I view order and chaos as being in a symbiotic relationship where one is always both conflicting with and dependant on the other.
Sounds very interesting. Could work with an intuitive type.

14. What is it that you fear in life? Why? How does this fear manifest to you both in how you think and how you act?

Living an empty, meaningless and mundane life or never being able to understand things deeply.
This also fits with intuition. I've been thinking that you could be either an INFP or an INTJ, based on some of the answers I've seen here. I've been defaulting to Ne over Ni for you based on the idea that you might be Fi-dominant, but I don't have very strong reasons to do so.

I still think INFP is more likely based on a bunch of factors (even stuff like inconsistent formatting in your post, which is usually a sign of an IxxP type over an IxxJ type, but there are many other small things), but both are definitely possible.

(I'll skip to question 17)

17. Why do you want to know your type? What type do you think you are? Why this/these type(s)? Is there a type that appeals to you, to your self-perception, that you would like to be? Why? If you know your enneagram, please post this here. If you have done any online function tests such as the Keys2Cognition, it helps if you post these results here as well.

I suddenly realized that I'm an adult yet I have no awareness of who I am or what I want. I hopes MBTI would help with that but I wasn't able to type myself. I've considered a few types but I was unable to verify them. I think my sense of identity is too unstable for me to be able to type myself, so I seek external sources of information to define myself (such as asking people what they think of me, or taking multiple test...). The problem with this is that people often have conflicting views of who I am, or views that when questioned aren't completely correct. I've also found myself to try to conform, even unconscously, to the descriptions I am given, so if I get typed as a certain type I start acting as stereotipically as possible to that type's descriptions, so it ends up being a self fulfilling prophecy. I just have no idea of who I am at all. Maybe this time things will turn out differently.
From your replies I think a few factors are making things more difficult.

1: You have some psych problems that are not part of your personality but that are influencing it. Possible anxiety, depression and generally being down on yourself seem to be things that are taking a lot of your brainpower and which make it kind of difficult to figure out which parts are MBTI traits and which are other factors.

2: You're not really opening up. If you want an honest assessment of your personality, that means people need to know your deepest layers of who you are. Surface stuff isn't your personality, that's just a persona that you're putting up (everyone does this, so it's not something that is inherent to you).
That can also make it much easier for people around you to help you with this and can explain how you're getting different answers from different people.

3: You don't seem to be doing this in order to understand yourself. You seem to be looking for some form of validation. You're not going to get that from MBTI. MBTI doesn't help with putting on some kind of persona that you want, it just looks to describe how you process information and how you make decisions. Those factors are big and have an effect on lots of things, but they're not an identity. They are a tool for helping yourself make better decisions (mostly).

All of that said...

My best guess as to your type is INFP. I don't see anything that contradicts the type, but there's not enough here to really know for sure. I see a lot of reasons to think of the Fi+Te axis and I see a lot of reasons to think of intuition. That leaves INFP and INTJ as most likely options. I'm leaning towards the former, but the latter is also definitely possible.
Given how sparse the information provided was, I can not give any more of a typing for you. I can rationalize other types like ENTJ or INFJ too, but that would require knowing a lot more about you. For now, INFP seems most likely based on your answers here.

That's my verdict and I hope it helps you in understanding yourself a bit better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I understand that my answers were somewhat vague, it's a problem of low self awareness causing me to struggle to give accurate and lengthy answers.

That being said, since you seem to have come to the conclusion that I may be an INFP due to my high Fi, and the alternative option would be INTJ, why not ISFP instead? ISFPs share the same functions as INTJs and are Fi dominant as well.

I think I may be an ISFP due to my impulsive tendencies and how, for most of my life, I was always overly concerned about my future. I realize that may sound contraddictory, but it's the main dilemma that has afflicted my life since my teen years, which would go well with the idea that I may be an ISFP stuck in an Fi-Ni loop. (which could also explain why I come off as intuitive).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1. I used to prefer solving these types of situations by myself, I enjoy figuring things out on my own, but recently I've started asking for help and advice from other people. It has generally proved to be unhelpful so I may go back to trying to solve things on my own. I find that asking others for help can make things more difficult. Most advice I receive tends to be things I already thought of and considered, and I believe that relying too much on other people's help can make you weaker.

2. It may take me a while to do so but I prefer to make a decision. Keeping my options open sounds too risky.

3. Not sure. I think I'm not very aware of my surroundings and I prefer to focus on my own thoughts instead.

4.I'm not very good at dealing with people and trying to understand them is difficult for me. I prefer trying to understand theories, concepts and ideas that interest me.

·
Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
901 Posts
1. I used to prefer solving these types of situations by myself, I enjoy figuring things out on my own, but recently I've started asking for help and advice from other people. It has generally proved to be unhelpful so I may go back to trying to solve things on my own. I find that asking others for help can make things more difficult. Most advice I receive tends to be things I already thought of and considered, and I believe that relying too much on other people's help can make you weaker.

2. It may take me a while to do so but I prefer to make a decision. Keeping my options open sounds too risky.

3. Not sure. I think I'm not very aware of my surroundings and I prefer to focus on my own thoughts instead.

4.I'm not very good at dealing with people and trying to understand them is difficult for me. I prefer trying to understand theories, concepts and ideas that interest me.
You could be INTJ, if their cognitive functions also resonate with you: Ni-Te-Fi-Se?

·
Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
901 Posts
INTP is another option since you weren’t sure about making decisions (Ni/Ne). I don’t see high Fi.

Do you resonate with this:
Font Technology Parallel Brand Sharing

·
Registered
INFJ 1w2, 2w1, 5w4 Sx/So
901 Posts
Or this:
Product Font Parallel Brand Diagram

Font Magenta Parallel Advertising Diagram

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I understand that my answers were somewhat vague, it's a problem of low self awareness causing me to struggle to give accurate and lengthy answers.

That being said, since you seem to have come to the conclusion that I may be an INFP due to my high Fi, and the alternative option would be INTJ, why not ISFP instead? ISFPs share the same functions as INTJs and are Fi dominant as well.

I think I may be an ISFP due to my impulsive tendencies and how, for most of my life, I was always overly concerned about my future. I realize that may sound contraddictory, but it's the main dilemma that has afflicted my life since my teen years, which would go well with the idea that I may be an ISFP stuck in an Fi-Ni loop. (which could also explain why I come off as intuitive).
Good point, ISFP seems to fit just as well as INTJ, and maybe better too. I think I was focused too much on the intuitive aspect of your answers, but since INTJ and ISFP use the same functions, they can both fit what I saw in your answers.

If you think ISFP fits better than the other two, I could definitely see that as your possible type. Thank you for actually trying to understand the reasons why I said specific things rather than just reading the conclusions. I always hope that people try to understand my reasonings rather than just my conclusions.

·
Registered
INFP 6w5 629 sp/sx
2,114 Posts
What about my answers makes you think I may be INTJ? I think it's more likely that I'm ISFP.
According to this video : (VIDEO)
I relate much more to the IxxP description.
Probably the best Frank James video I've seen. Thanks for posting. Now back to your original post

I'm not sure.

I suddenly realized that I'm an adult yet I have no awareness of who I am or what I want. I hopes MBTI would help with that but I wasn't able to type myself. I've considered a few types but I was unable to verify them. I think my sense of identity is too unstable for me to be able to type myself, so I seek external sources of information to define myself (such as asking people what they think of me, or taking multiple test...). The problem with this is that people often have conflicting views of who I am, or views that when questioned aren't completely correct. I've also found myself to try to conform, even unconscously, to the descriptions I am given, so if I get typed as a certain type I start acting as stereotipically as possible to that type's descriptions, so it ends up being a self fulfilling prophecy. I just have no idea of who I am at all. Maybe this time things will turn out differently
I think you would be hard-pressed to find a Fi-dom with your sort of answers here. They generally know who they are and have a good feeling of a sense of self. Sure, they may become anxious describing themselves to others, but they're probably the ones who know how much they don't know about themselves. Such is the product of being an Fi-dom: extensive self-reflection about themselves.

Additionally, being themselves is a natural part of being Fi-dom. Suppression of the self would take a conscious, concerted effort.

I can't think of one.
Can't imagine a ISFP being unable to answer this question.

Simplistic reasoning but... if you don't think about people much, you're probably not a F
___

You could press me for a guess of your type, but I'd rather not, as I feel as if I didn't get to know you well enough through your questionnaire; however, I'm fairly confident in saying you are not an ISFP or INFP.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts