Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend @lynette1811 has introduced me to this interesting set of questions, and I really hope you guys can help me decide! xD I'm new here, so hello world, and thank you in advance! 8)

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I have taken these online tests 8 times and gotten 5 different results, namely, INTP, INTJ, ISTJ, ISFP and INFP. After reading up on these types and the functions, I find that I am more of an INTP, but I am also able to relate to many of the traits of INTJs such as, according to typelogic.com,
INTJs are perfectionists, with a seemingly endless capacity for improving upon anything that takes their interest. What prevents them from becoming chronically bogged down in this pursuit of perfection is the pragmatism so characteristic of the type: INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion “Does it work?”
Personal relationships, particularly romantic ones, can be the INTJ’s Achilles heel. While they are capable of caring deeply for others (usually a select few), and are willing to spend a great deal of time and effort on a relationship, the knowledge and self-confidence that make them so successful in other areas can suddenly abandon or mislead them in interpersonal situations.

This confuses me greatly as I have not been able to settle on a definite answer even though the INTP functions Ti, Ne, Si and Fe seem to fit. I thought I was INTP, until I read the other descriptions and profiles :/ Aren’t INTJ and INTP supposed to be greatly distinct?

I try to provide reasons for this – perhaps these 16 archetypes aren’t always enough, and people aren’t always this easily classified or defined.

I think that the only person I’d ever completely understand in my entire life is myself, but then, even this isn’t working out.

I’m Ennegram type 4, also 2, 6 and 9, but this is just making it worse, isn’t it? xD Is it because of Type 9’s characteristics of being able to adapt and react differently that I respond inconsistently for these tests?

Another factor is probably because I am no longer able to differentiate the way I originally was and the way I’ve learnt to be, after trying to be myself as far as possible for the past 13 years of my life. I find that I’m able to relate to my INFJ and ISFJ friends on a very deep level, but only when I think about myself during an earlier part of my life. Sometimes things just don’t work out well and I learn to accept the outcome, but what’s done has been done and I’ve learnt to be more defensive of myself, so that I stand a chance at getting what I want in the future. I think this affects my responses for some of the tests I’ve taken.

On a side note, I am also confused whether I am truly Introverted (even though I is the only constant in all of my results o: ). Spending time with people I genuinely like being with recharges my batteries, as does being alone, because interactions with these people don’t usually require a lot of effort. On the other hand, maintaining unsatisfactory friendships is extremely taxing and requires deep thinking and analysis before I say or do anything.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

Unlike many others around me who wish for things like wealth or good results, I have a simplistic ideal of my future, and all I want is happiness and for those whom I care about to be happy. I want friends, people for me to depend on, and for them to trust and rely on me; especially since my logical self isn’t always well-liked by more sensitive and emotional people. Since young, I’ve always tried to find reasons for others’ behaviour, and tried to step into their shoes and think from their perspectives, but my understanding of others’ perspectives isn’t always correct, and people don’t always appreciate my efforts in trying to understand them. I yearn for acceptance and trust from my friends, and life-long, sincere friendships.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
I remember a period in my life, not so long ago, when I had a really good best friend. We’d do everything together, and she made me a lot happier than I’d ever been. I felt like a better person, since I’d helped her in many ways too, and I felt accomplished because she managed to understand me really well. I had her to rely on, and I knew that she trusted me as well. We were able to connect on a deep level, and we had mutual understanding of each other. Communication was more or less effortless.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
When human relationships don’t always work out well, or when people I trust turn around against me and I can’t find an explanation for these occurrences. People try to tell me to accept change, but I don’t understand – what caused the change? I feel inferior because I’m unable to suck it up and move on, even though that’s what I believe I should do.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I believe that the best decision is good for everyone. I think about people and the way the think, the opinions that they’ve shared with me, and also my own opinion. I try not to hurt anyone, but then again, as I stated previously, all this is based on my understanding of who they are and what influences their thinking. If not, my decision is mostly just based on the pros and cons and how I feel the matter should be handled. Somehow I have this naïve hope that if it’s the correct decision, everything will work out in the end; and even if it isn’t a right decision, corrective steps can always be taken to salvage the situation. I hope people will trust me, and my judgement.

Usually, if it’s a really hard decision, I might use a table and weigh all the different choices before reaching the decision.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

It depends on who I am working with – if my groupmates are people I’m familiar with, I try to speak my mind as far as possible. However, if I know that my groupmates tend to disagree with me, I try to accept the group’s decision. I try to avoid direct conflict, but if the decision is one that affects me strongly, I’d like to have a chance at bringing my point across to the rest of my group. Sometimes, I don’t need agreement, but rather, a chance to prove myself right.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
It was my best friend’s birthday (refer to my response to question 3). The part which was the most memorable and heartwarming was after the party itself. We were in her room, reminiscing over our little memories, laughing and just having a lot of fun. :) And there, she asked me, “Have you ever wondered what our lives would be like if we were born sisters?”

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
I hate memorising definitions. I consider real learning to be largely built on understanding. This understanding can be achieved in any way, be it hands on (usually for physical activities), theoretical (for science and math), or simply through synthesis of information. I believe that one can only explain a concept to someone else if he/she has throroughly understood. Thus, I like teaching others. I gain satisfaction from teaching others and seeing that others have understood what I’ve said.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

As with many other things, I’m not usually organised, but I can be when I want to be. Sometimes to-do lists are useful, but I feel that they tie me down, and I don’t consistently use them.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
I try to understand why the person brought up the idea in the first place. I have to do both in order to judge this new idea, for I think that principles don’t stand on their own, and merely citing information isn’t sufficient to prove a point either.

But sometimes, if I just need to find a way to do something, the idea just has to be the one that makes the most logical sense, the one that’d actually work out.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
I have to do both in order to feel satisfied. I expect to belong in a group where I can still hold true to my own beliefs, while maintaining peaceful relationships with the others. My principles are important, and so are my friendships.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
It depends on the people I’m with, and my mood. If I’m with people that I don’t really trust, I tend to observe them and plan my every single word and action. However, if I’m with good friends, I’ll just say what I think. Usually, I’m brutally honest, even if I know it might hurt or offend others. I believe they have a right to know what I really think, and I understand that this might come across as being insensitive, or that I’m acting superior and giving advice. I’ll try to soften my attitude, but I try to make sure I get the message across.

If I really want something, I’ll argue my way out. I’ll get through with it fair and square, with all the facts, and I’ll hold true to my principles.

One-on-one communication can be either stressful or relaxing for me, depending on who I am talking to. It provides opportunities to clear up misunderstandings, yet at the same time, might convey the wrong message and in turn be the cause of another misunderstanding.

I actually enjoy group discussions, but only if they’re held in small groups. They give me a chance to speak my mind and make my opinion known. It’s also the only way I can prove myself right, and the only way we can come to conclusions about issues regarding the entire group.

However, in group discussions held in large groups, I usually just avoid speaking, in case I end up saying the wrong thing and giving many people the wrong impression.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I usually need to know where I’m headed before I actually start doing something.
Neither. Both might be insincere, as they are merely part of one’s persona. What really matters is the person’s intention, and the way he/she thinks. Whether he/she actually gets down to showing it is another issue, but that doesn’t mean that simply thinking and not trying can be condoned. Effort needs to be put in.

14) It’s Saturday. You’re at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
I don’t really like sacrificing my own personal time for my friends, because interacting with other people really tires me out sometimes. Thus, as I have previously allocated this time for my favourite show, I will most likely decline their invitation.

15) How do you act when you’re stressed out?
I don’t exactly “act” per se, but rather just think. I try to continue with daily activities as far as possible, and leave the stress for some other day. When I’m really just tied down, however, I try to explain and understand the situation as much as possible, and just try to come to terms with the truth. After all this shit, I still believe that the world is a good place, and someday, somehow, some people will understand. I still believe that things will eventually work out, and the only way to get out of this trouble is by working my way out of it. I know I’ll have to face up to what I’ve done, and what’s done has been done. I’ll try my best to live and let die, but when I’m utterly disappointed, I’ll just try to engross myself in something else.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
I usually try to be more understanding towards other people even for the wrong they’ve done. It’s after much observation that I finally try to draw these generalisations about people.

However, sometimes what others say is simply too appalling for me to keep my cool and continue trusting them. It’s when I know that they have never completely, whole-heartedly, trusted the people around them. This makes me question the need for effort and sincerely trying to be with these people; and I end up disliking them.

Another reason for dislike is when I can see that people do not value the friendships of the people around them. This comes across to me as extremely selfish and materialistic, for their own friendships are built on power struggles and benefit. I find it especially frustrating when these people try to impose their own selfish beliefs on others, by trying to make others believe that these monetary or academic benefits are of greater importance than friendships.

I like debating with others to express my own opinions, but somehow the responses of whoever I’m debating with affect me greatly. I try to understand and think about what they’re saying (only if we have differing opinions). Somehow, I can always find the loopholes in their argument and the flaws in their thinking, but I can rarely prove myself wrong (mostly due to double standards, I guess). I try to convince myself to accept others’ opinions, but I just can’t stand it when people are being fickle-minded and shallow with their responses.

I don’t understand how people can treat emotionally significant issues with disregard, or have such superficial beliefs or opinions of others. Especially during Philosophy class, where we share our honest opinions or reactions to specific situations, their shallow responses bother me a lot. An example would be something like “the guy is wrong to hit the girl because it’s ungentlemanly for him to do so”.

I am also irritated when people have the misconception that Introverts are simply quiet, nerdy or antisocial.
I’m very offended by people’s stereotype of girls – for example, being dumb, PMS-y, illogical, overly sensitive, bad at gaming etc. I don’t think it’s justifiable to assume that any girl who does not fulfil this stereotype belongs to a rare species. After all, I know for a fact that I’m not like that, and I have many female friends who aren’t this weak either.

And yes, I am as annoyed by the behaviour of these females as these people. No offense, but I find motivational or “emo” posts (and the fact that these are mainly posted and circulated by girls simply contributes to the abovementioned stereotype!) unconvincing – I know I am strong, and my biggest weakness is not being able to appreciate that others are weak. Sometimes, I despise myself for thinking like this. I really didn’t like it when I saw the line “people cry not because they’re weak, but because they’ve been strong for too long”. I despise myself for thinking that I’m superior in this aspect, and that I’ve been through more than others, but I can’t help but think so.

As I quote my old Facebook status,
People tend to forget that even though we make statements insulting others for their behaviour, that people change and mature over time. I used to be like you, but I’ve since moved on. Take what I’ve said with a pinch of salt.

I find it difficult to accept people who repeatedly lie, and say that they’re afraid to tell the truth because they’ve been repeatedly hurt. They say that they’re afraid to trust others, but trust is mutual, isn’t it?
I also find it difficult to relate people who always cling to the past, and are unable to focus on the present and the future; as well as people who continually cling to me and try to block out my other friends.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
Not really.
However, as much as I try to understand myself, I believe that people whom I trust have a right to understand me as well. I think that this understanding is crucial in building a deep friendship. Perhaps, I expect people to read into the emotional turmoil behind my every sentence, albeit only in places such as my blog, where I am completely honest and blatant. I expect this deep rational thinking about me in return for my efforts (or rather, helpless tendencies) in trying to understand and to be tolerant of others. Hence, I try to explain the way I am – but I can’t really explain the way I act.

This is also due to the fact that I can get really worked up over things I feel strongly for, thus I would rather not share it with others. I find it difficult to convey a point verbally as I am fearful of the consequences of wrong word choices or genuine misunderstandings.

18) What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?
Expensive things, like diamonds, or just monetary value of things in general. I’m not a materialistic person.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

They have complained that I complain too much. Honest. Kind. Generous. Funny. Cute. Strong. Lame/retarded (this is not meant as an insult xD). A thinker. Overly serious about life. Hot-tempered. Logical. Always angry. Afraid of being labelled. Whiny. Don’t practise what I preach. Selfish – just acting in order to save myself.
I’m boggled by these different perceptions because some of them come from the same people. Generally true except the last three. I’m disappointed for being called “whiny” – it’s because she hasn’t appreciated my tendency to try and understand the world. It’s because I try to understand others’ perspectives. Verbal diarrhoea :)P), maybe, but whiny? And it’s the same reason another person said I never practised what I preached – except I never intended to preach. Perhaps I’m just incorporating my understanding of the world into my speech, and my blog.

That last one was really too much, considering that the person who said so has never not been selfish. In fact, the few of us were doing the exact opposite. Our effort in caring for our dear friend was mistaken for being selfish, for just trying to save our own butts. We’ll never be as selfish as she is.

I guess the “thinker” part was right, and as I quote typelogic.com's INTP profile (I guess I am INTP after all! xD):
Feeling tends to be all or none. When present, the INTP’s concern for others is intense, albeit naive. In a crisis, this feeling judgement is often silenced by the emergence of Thinking, who rushes in to avert chaos and destruction.

I guess the “always angry” part comes from my attitude towards others when I’m trying to argue my point. And, yes, I detest stereotypes, but I find comfort in knowing that at the end of the day, I still do belong in one type or another.

Actually, I don’t really know why certain people have these impressions of me, and thus I have no idea what they won’t say about me.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
I would probably try to sort out all my thoughts. Maybe do some drawing, designing. Maybe gaming.
Maybe I’ll type a lengthy rant or blog post. Write dedications to people. Talk to friends via iMessage.
Or maybe, I should take a break from myself and just sleep :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't get a NT's feel from your post. Your focus clearly is on other peoples, relationships and on your values. I could be wrong, but I get an INFJ vibe from you. They often have a very well developped tertiary Ti, so it's not rare for them to think they are INTP or INTJ if their thinking funtion is strong enought.
That would also correlate with your perception of yourself when you where younguer: you would not see yourself as a feeler anymore since you would be developping your thinking function.

@Finagle
Thank you :)
You may be right. The feeling seems to be deeper down, somewhere in an older part of me.
Is it possible that my "original" type (if there is such a thing xD) is INFJ, while after years of developing Ti, that I've learnt to behave like an INTP?
I find that I might be either in different situations, so I would like to ask: is it possible for a person to be two types at the same time?

INTP: Ti, Ne, Si, Fe
INFJ: Ni, Fe, Ti, Se

Both Fe and Ti seem to suit me, but would the order matter if even the tertiary function can be well-developed enough to be mistaken for the dominant one? o:

Does ISFJ come into the picture at all? :)

One more thing, does thinking about people and their behaviour belong to Thinking or Feeling?

·
Registered
456 Posts
@natalietan8

You can't be two types. Unless you have a multiples personality disorder, that should prove difficult.
While the fact that the tests generally give you a percentage for the dichotomies , as you know they in fact only inform you of your functions order.

The functions are ways to perceive and interpret information. Those ways tend to play similar roles and contradict themselves, so they don't work very well together. Imagine the functions as 8 people trying to control you. If they had equals strength, you can imagine how they would fight for control, and how fucked the resulting personality would be.
So... normally, you have a leader, his second in command, one guy that follow orders, an other that contradict everybody... and four others that just kind of stand there and look pretty while usually doing nothing.
I'm not explaining it very well.. but I'm sure you get the picture.

What is more probable is that you use different functions in different situations. While you can't be two type or change of type, your functions strength can change over time.

It's possible to be more aware of your third function than your main. Your main function is so integral to yourself that you may not even see it. Your third function, on the other hand, is not as natural, so you should be aware of its use.
That's not to say that your Ti is your third function, but that's definitely an option to consider.
The best tip I can give you is to read about the function as much as you can.

You might also want to go look at the temperaments if you are unsure between INTP,INFJ and ISFJ.
I personally get an INFJ vibe from you, but it's just that, a guess.

As for thinking or feeling being more about people, I'm not sure. Thinking like to analyse, feeling like to evaluate, I assume that both can be interested in people, but for different reasons.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Almost every single type you listed as testing for has Fi except for Ti. Therefore, based on that, I would work on the assumption you have Fi.

I always suggest reading on cognitive functions; but for the time being, I'd go with intj, keep learning about the types as a casual observer, and change it later if you see fit.

INTP- Ti Ne Si Fe
INTJ- Ni Te Fi Se

I know this probably won't help you much seeing as how confused yuo are now, but these types have entirely different functions. Reading about how the funtions play into the types should help you.

Here are some questions, answer honestly, I'll tell you what I think:

When talking about ideas to someone, do you tend to have lots of pauses or breaks in your speaking as you reach for your thoughts?

Is proper diction important to you?

Do you come off as abrasive to others sometimes?

Do you come off as nerdy or distant in communication, as though you know more about the world of theories than how to interact with people?

How would you describe your humor?

Do you prefer starting projects or seeing them through?

When doing a project, do you enjoy thinking about it in-depth and accounting for every nuance before you've even started?

When doing a project, do you enjoy thinking of the future implications of your project and accounting for how to prevent them?

When doing a project, do you enjoy working fast and efficiently?

When people share their feelings with you, how do you feel?

When you talk or relate to others, is your face more frozen or is it more expressive?

Do you come off as "cold" or "emotive"?

Do you speak haltingly or with force?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here are some of my quick thoughts and I'll try not to overlap what everyone else has been saying.

1. You mentioned being unsure about the I, because spending time with really close friends will recharge your batteries. That is actually a pretty good indication that you are in fact an I. Introverts are not, by their nature, loners. They have friends, they just tend toward much smaller circles of much closer friends. Also, remember that we live in an extroverted society, so all Introverts will learn a measure of extroverted behaviour to survive in our world.

2. Regarding N vs S. The cheat sheet I use for that usually boils down to context. When you look at something are you immediately taking in direct information or are you trying to skip ahead to contextual information. I once had a teacher pull two chairs of different sizes (one was a fancy computer chair, the other a cheap industrial one) and ask the class to describe what they noticed. Most people in the classroom described how the chairs looked (brown, expensive, blue, tall, short). Those are traditional S responses. I answered that it looked like the chairs were angled in such a way that you had one person in a dominant position and another in a more submissive one. Reading into the hypothetical context of the situation is a very N response. That's usually the quick and dirty way that I determine the difference.

Hope that helps! :)

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Thank you :)
You may be right. The feeling seems to be deeper down, somewhere in an older part of me.
Is it possible that my "original" type (if there is such a thing xD) is INFJ, while after years of developing Ti, that I've learnt to behave like an INTP?
I find that I might be either in different situations, so I would like to ask: is it possible for a person to be two types at the same time?

INTP: Ti, Ne, Si, Fe
INFJ: Ni, Fe, Ti, Se

Both Fe and Ti seem to suit me, but would the order matter if even the tertiary function can be well-developed enough to be mistaken for the dominant one? o:

Does ISFJ come into the picture at all? :)

One more thing, does thinking about people and their behaviour belong to Thinking or Feeling?
Your answers sound more like a feeler.
I'd say have a look at INFJ because the Ti+Fe functions are close and they often misidentify as INTPs,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts