Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I was camping with my friends and one of them just randomly said that my gift is that I am very complementary (note the spelling). He was very clear that his meaning was that I bring other people into conversations or into our circle of friends and make them feel welcomed, not that I give people compliments. He said that I am always inclusive and able to do or say what is necessary to contribute something valuable in the group by being a complementary part, not necessarily a leader, though I can do that too. Other friends around the campfire agreed with him and nodded their approval. I have never forgotten that because it was a deeply felt and thoughtful compliment that really spoke to the core of who I am.

I got something very similar in a performance evaluation for work once too. I treasured that evaluation just as much because the person who gave it was someone I admired and you never hear that kind of thing in a performance review... ever, right?

·
Banned
3,802 Posts
Just last night in my art class we drew some perspective work. Generally I'm absolutely horrible at art. But we did a tour and one of the girls told me that mine was her favorite. I was so flattered that I was speechless. :blushed:

·
Registered
830 Posts
Last night was my 4th night of dancing lessons with my wife. During the 3rd round of going through the ladies, each one was noticeably excited about how well I did and complimented me, some with big smiles and clapping. I dread dancing every Wednesday so I am pretty happy I don't totally suck at it.

There are probably more but unlike Sily, I don't have historical records and my memory tends to dump most things that aren't readily necessary but I still remember yesterday.

·
Registered
INFP(?) 9w1 sp/sx ♀
1,221 Posts
I'm the sappiest person ever who thinks that any compliment is amazing. :crying:

But the best one I've ever received must have been when my close friend still drove me to school and to our volunteering place. She played a rare album from one of her favorite bands and said, "There's a song on here that reminds me of you." And she played it for me in her car. I liked the song, and listening to it, I realized that the lyrics were written in a way that uncannily resembled my thought process, and the song was filled with a lot of my same existential sort of thoughts. Maybe it was also because my friend was smiling as she sang along, too.

Or perhaps it was when that same friend asked me to review one of her scholarship essays a few weeks ago, and she told me that I was "the best writer [she] knew, so if [she] had [my] seal of approval, then the paper had to be pretty good".

Both of those were pretty powerful.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Anything my brother or mother's told me counts, really. When they say it, it's because it's true, after all.

Also, I got told by my teacher once that one of my best qualities was that I listened to critique and immediately applied it; that compliment stuck with me to this day. It's really awesome that she (an ESTJ no less) told me I was really good with criticism and that my efforts to improve my flaws truly made a difference, and that my open-mindedness does work in my favor.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Someone I hold in high regard told me my favorite experimental outfit "looked futuristic", and I swear I stopped dead in my tracks and just felt like everything in life suddenly made sense (my skin was clear, the crops had flourished, the stars were in position for this tribute, etc).

·
Sunset Stripper
9,773 Posts
There isn't a big compliment I can think of, but I really really appreciate when I feel like someone's complimenting me genuinely, if they call me funny, charming or smart. I appreciate those so much. Like @The Awkward Dragon said, I'm also pretty sappy and think every compliment is amazing.

A guy once stopped me to tell me he thought I was pretty when I was a senior in HS. I think that made my life at the time. Guys may think you're pretty but none of them had ever done that.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
"How can you be so kind and so positive in a world that's so not?"
It's not really a compliment looking sentence, but the way they said it made it mean everything to me.

·
Premium Member
INTP
11,918 Posts
A rather strange compliment I got recently "If I'd have married a woman like you...well.... I would never have got divorced, for a start."

Reactions: Xyte

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
The compliments that stuck with me were the ones that complimented a quality I didn't see in myself.

I sometimes randomly ask people I know to give me a compliment and a point of criticism, as a sort of social experiment. I highly recommend trying this, because not only do some people get hilariously uncomfortable, you'll also get some very surprising answers. Most people won't really know what to say or try to avoid giving a real answer, but the few who have the courage to say what they really think about you might tell you something you never realized about yourself. Just don't do it too much, because it is kind of annoying XD

One example that comes to mind is a co-worker who told me that he admired how I don't take shit from anyone, basically telling me that he thinks I'm a strong-willed person. I didn't see that coming, probably because I'm more fixated on the areas in which I'm not as assertive or confident as I'd like to be... but yeah he was right ^_^

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
One kid placed his head on my upper arm. He said he liked it cause it felt like a soft cushion. Wasn't sure how to take it at first (I have a gym membership now) but the innocence of it made it really sweet.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
When I actually go out and be around other people, I sometimes get told that I make a difference in other people's day or that I give them hope. I have had people tell me I have made a difference when they were at their saddest. The best was when a woman came in to my work to tell me I could be the difference in someone taking their life just by being me.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
INFP
545 Posts
My sister once said to me "You're the best person in the world". It seems like an amazing compliment, right? But I didn't really know how to feel about it when I first heard it, and I still don't. I just worry in general that certain people over-idealize me in some way - she is not the only one I feel that way about. I really appreciate that she said that, and I really am a genuinely nice person and all, but I can be a right asshole at times too lol (although I feel bad about it straight away), so I just almost feel sort of guilty that some people throughout my life have had such a high view of me. I just don't want to disappoint people. One person was very disappointed recently and that broke my heart as we were close friends. ugh it's so confusing ~

1 - 20 of 30 Posts