Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find it difficult to apply myself in a learning situation. I don't know why but I can't just sit and listen to a lecture and take the information in. I know part of it is that I have depression and trouble with focusing, but I wonder if I haven't figured out my most suitable learning style.

What do you find helps you most when learning? Do you need to read over things multiple times? Make notes/diagrams? Do you learn best when watching a video as opposed to just listening to audio?

Any thoughts/suggestions much appreciated!

·
Banned
656 Posts
Personally it's more about quality over quantity. I just need to motivate myself enough to keep focused and usually things work out. I also like connecting new ideas with old ones and actively playing with the material in my head.

It also depends on the kind of material you're studying. Mindlessly memorizing things is the worst, but isn't so bad with mnemonics. I also actively quiz myself over and over again as Im studying to make sure I retain things and to point out weak spots. If I really have time, I like making rough outlines of the material, just to organize thoughts because in the end, I think that's what it's all about: organizing the content in an organized way in your head so you can easily access the material when you need it.

Working with someone helps a lot too. Having discussions about things you're confused about and clarifying things together really reinforces the information because you're actively applying the things you're learning. It also keeps you accountable.

That was a kind of random mix of things that just popped into my head. Hope they help

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Are you having trouble recalling information? I def have that problem and what helps is if i at least have a general idea of what the topic is, ill remember the details by working backwords through the notes and book. Oh and.. when i do happen to space out during class and suddenly notice everyone else writing, its probably something important :X

·
Registered
528 Posts
I can't process auditory information to save my life :p.

The quiz sounds like a good idea.

otherwise I need to read things thouroughly. and I need to find the purpose of the course. this one course I took about unintended consequences had 4 ways of categorising them. but none of the texts on the curricula stated obviously that their subject matter was unintended consequences or what type they were. so you had to figure out how each text related to unintended consequences yourself. I've never learned more in my life :). I had a reason to read the text other than an exam.

actually I do worst when studying for a grade. I find the fact that learning is used as a method to get grades, instead of a goal in itself, repulsive.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I cant learn anything. :) And I hate it. My method was always like this - take a book or notebook that you need to study, read it and write down, what you think is important. When this is done, just take your paper and read it again and write again what is important on another paper. If you use small letters, you can have excrepts from book on one page. Then I study just this page. I can remember the concept from what i have learned and the facts that i am learning are only few most important things. It always worked for me and i never had to study for long. . .

·
Registered
610 Posts
In terms of absorbing information, I'm best as just doing readings and listening to lectures. Listening to lectures is a lot easier if there's an actual interest in the subject. Some lectures are just painful to listen to, but the reward of a nice grade is a good incentive. lol

Overall, though, the best thing for me has been discovering my learning type, or at least random things that help with learning. Like I'm best at doing readings and listening to lectures, but what actually helps me accomplish those things do not depend on reading and listening. It actually depends on eating, listening to music, and moving my body a bit while reading or listening. (Whenever I take a test I'm always drinking coffee because of this. Or chewing gum in class. lol)

So since you're going to have to do memorization, listening to lectures, etc etc anyway just to fulfill the requirements of the class, don't focus so much on the literal action of reading, writing essays, listening to lectures, doing homework, etc, but what sort of environment you need in order to focus. That'll take experimentation, though. Like, I had to learn by getting a C on a midterm that writing down my ideas while reading doesn't do anything for me, and for a different test, I learned that movement while studying does do things for me because I was engaging with the material so much better by randomly doing push-ups while working. idk it works, so I don't question it. lol

I've found the most important thing is for me to theorize and conceptualize the material, but it's just getting me to focus on that activity of theorizing and conceptualizing that gets tricky.

·
Registered
157 Posts
well fellow infp here.. i really don't like studying at all ..but im at that age where i better start now.. before i really regret it later...
i like to read.. though its very unusuall for me to sit and focus. Yes, when i can't obsorb something i tend to re-read until I get something.. but mostly when i read i have a habit of reading the same sentense with out realizing it.. so i use a book mark to read each sentences.. plus i feel it help me focus a bit..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts