Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say the ISFP doesn't want to accept any help, but you know he needs it. Do I go all Fi at him like Vader, "search your feelings, you know it to be true"?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
With chloroform and a drill.

But really, allow your friend to be themselves. In their own mode.

Maybe he needs to be heard, not fixed.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love that video. I have such a hard time, because my own happiness has been very much dependent upon whether I take action. I feel just like the guy in the video, and don't see a logical reason for deferring to the fool with the head-nail.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Could you tell us more about the situation?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Maybe he doesn't "need" your help.
I wouldn't talk on behalf of others, but I won't accept the sympathy or help from others unless I really need it.
Sometimes it annoys me when people try to pry too deep when I don't want to talk. Your friend's situation might be different though, you're the one here who knows him, not me.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sometimes it annoys me when people try to pry too deep when I don't want to talk.
Good point. I guess anything more than saying a simple "I don't know if it will work for you, but *such and such thing* works for me" would be considered prying.

Me: Hey, ISFP, have you ever thought about *blah blah blah*?
ISFP: Piss off.
Me (defensively): Well, okay then, be an ass about it.

What I prefer to happen is...
Me: Sometimes I just like to think about life. (Getting all poetic.) Life is like a box of... nails. You never know how long the nails will be. Or whether they have those ridges like screws to keep them in place. Or whether they'll be skinny. You just gotta learn to work with what you got. Unless you can go out to the store and get new tools, in which case, go for it, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
ISFP: Word, dude.

It's just hard getting him to shut up long enough to say stuff like that.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Let's say the ISFP doesn't want to accept any help, but you know he needs it. Do I go all Fi at him like Vader, "search your feelings, you know it to be true"?
I'm really private IRL, directly trying to talk to me about anything too personal may have me running for the hills! Your ISFP friend may be be the same.

However, I also have a need to talk things over with friends sometimes, I just find it embarrassing/uncomfortable if its too direct. So yeah, kinda what other people have said. Be gentle, and maybe bring it up in a roundabout way. Maybe even do it over facebook chat or something, he might find it easier.

Or even better, direct action. ISFPs can be better at action that than talking. Like if you think he needs to get out more, take him out. Guess it depends on the situation though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.