Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The times I've encountered SP rage, I've mostly just blown it off. I can stay calm and collected while they yell at me or insult me. To be honest, my biggest problem sometimes is not laughing at them. Not because I don't appreciate their situation, but more because I know they don't mean what they're saying and are going to regret it later on.

Is my best bet to just continue what I'm doing and letting it go, or is there a better way to handle it? It feels wrong to let it go, but handling conflict just isn't what I'm good at.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
The times I've encountered SP rage, I've mostly just blown it off. I can stay calm and collected while they yell at me or insult me. To be honest, my biggest problem sometimes is not laughing at them. Not because I don't appreciate their situation, but more because I know they don't mean what they're saying and are going to regret it later on.

Is my best bet to just continue what I'm doing and letting it go, or is there a better way to handle it? It feels wrong to let it go, but handling conflict just isn't what I'm good at.
Is the rage directed at you specifically or are they just blowing off, and you're the nearest person?

Reactions: GreenCoyote

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
I very rarely rage, but whenever I do, I come across as a toddler throwing a tantrum. Everyone finds this hysterical and doesn't take me seriously. It used to irritate me, but really, it's probably the best way to deal with it. I mean, don't actually laugh, but let it bounce right off you. You really shouldn't allow yourself to be a verbal punching bag, though...

Anyway, the best advice I know is to not meet anger with anger. Fire + Fire = Bigger Fire.

·
Registered
751 Posts
When I do rage, I never raise my voice but usually throw out multiple sarcastic comments in monotone. It's true that most of the time people don't take me seriously, but laughing would make extremely angry. The best way to deal with it would probably be to do the same thing back - I can take it and it'll kind of put me in my place before I say something I'd regret.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Rage from SP's? This is new... it is very hard to get me and other SP's I know very angry. It takes a lot to push my buttons, and when you have it is best to leave me alone, and I will soon be back to normal.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Talk to them like the children they are.

·
Registered
172 Posts
When I rage I throw things, kick things, say and yell things etc. I usually do something I'll regret but I have a very logical and reasonable approach then it turns into a rage. This doesn't happen often, but when it does it's:angry: BAD!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I know that if someone appeals to my Ti and says something like "you're getting emotional". I'll usually feel ashamed and back down...but that's specific to Ti!!

Otherwise I'd say just say back off for a bit, and approach later with caution. SP's are usually very laid back people, if they've blown up in anger then there's probably something very stressful going on in their life.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I know that if someone appeals to my Ti and says something like "you're getting emotional". I'll usually feel ashamed and back down...but that's specific to Ti!!

Otherwise I'd say just say back off for a bit, and approach later with caution. SP's are usually very laid back people, if they've blown up in anger then there's probably something very stressful going on in their life.
I have a similar experience. When I get in arguments with my dad(ISTJ) he can sometimes be manipulative(telling me that I'm being emotional when I'm not even close) and thinks that I don't see it. I'll be respectful for a short while trying to expose his manipulation calmly but he won't budge. Once I get him to budge he'll start pulling more shit out of his ass, this is when I get pissed off. Once the line was crossed I started mouthing off to him then ran outside(you would too, he is HUGE...Think Ronnie Coleman). It was pretty ugly.

Being an ESTP, our tertiary function is Extraverted Feeling meaning that our emotions will be outwardly expressed. It's a lot more likely for this to happen ESTP than an ISTP or ISTJ. I will always have a logical and rational reason as to why I did it even though others percieve it differently, usually destructive...which it is...sometimes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Luckily I've never encountered SP rage. I only know of two SP's in my life right now. The ESFP always seems very happy-go-lucky while the ISFP always seems very calm. I'd hate to think of them getting pissed off. I can't handle emotional outbursts from other people. Usually I just walk away, but if they keep attacking me, I know how to defend.

·
The Doer King
13,680 Posts
SPs can rage, especially Enneagram eights. Although in my case you would really need to put down something I really value. This could be friends, kids, siblings or even something I really worked hard on. I've begun trying to fix my rage issues and when someone says something I know will set me off if they continue I nicely warn them to stop now or it won't be pretty.

I noticed the OP never clarified himself after he wrote the post.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
^ Yep. That actually makes Fi types even worse.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I have a similar experience. When I get in arguments with my dad(ISTJ) I started mouthing off to him then ran outside(you would too, he is HUGE...Think Ronnie Coleman). It was pretty ugly.
:crazy:

Rofl! Come on, I thought ESTPs weren't supposed to be pansies. xD :p

EDIT:

...err. Never mind what I just said. *sprints off*

·
Registered
338 Posts
I don't 'rage' at all any more. I was a very angry and emotional child, I used to get wound up and cry and lash out a lot. I've learned to control that now, to the extent that I think I've only got demonstratively angry once in the last 2 years. . I'm not very confrontational as I can't deal with other people getting emotional; also I get frustrated when I'm sure I'm right (I know I'm not always right!) and the other person can't see that. If people piss me off i have a tendency to just cut them out unless they come back to me of their own volition. Then I'm usually fine to act like nothing happened and move on, because I'm rarely one to hold a grudge. There are a couple of people who I never want anything to do with again, but they are the exceptions.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Going for a really long run or anything else athletic. Preferably alone. Tennis is good, I hit the ball instead of a person. Maybe I'll get into boxing some time soon. That would be fun.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts