Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I are one and the other, and we seem to share similarities, and he brings me down to earth when we're in the same environment. Would anyone happen to have any output on this subject?

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's like ForsakenMe said, really.

It's curious, because I tend to be on a line between the two of them. I'm not so much INFP, as I'm not so much INTP.

The tests pointed out I'm an INFP, but I always wondered. "A lot of times I'm more like an INTP... it makes sense that I'm an INTP... in some ways".

To make it clear, I took that test in "mypersonality.info" and found out the "thinking" and "feeling" rate were almost 50%-50%, but feeling was slightly higher, and that's how the result was INFP.

Today I took that test again, after a long period of time. It pointed out 63% thinking and 37% feeling. So, I'm an INTP, now? hehe I don't know. I guess I'm too complicated.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just thinking and feeling, huh? Thank you for the output. If I wasn't a little brain-dead I'd have a better response.

Reactions: Flora

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
The INTPs I've known did not bring me down to earth. :laughing:

We both fed each other's elitism and discussed as many impractical topics as possible. The INTPs liked conspiracy theories and I preferred analyzing people and life in a poetic sort of way (whatcha call it when you look at the sky in a poetic sort of way? you know, when you grope for luna). I guess I "brought them down to earth" by reminding them that people are flawed & some compassion is in order, and they brought me down to earth by reminding me that some people are, in fact, just ridiculous and don't aways deserve sympathy. Ultimately, they were too negative for me.

·
Registered
751 Posts
:laughing:This is a little bit of a half arsed explanation (I'm no Ti user) but the biggest difference is the Ti and Fi. From what I understand, Ti (well Ti from a N perspective) realises logical inconsistencies in structures and objects, an internal dynamic that determines what is logically wrong or how it can be internally changed to better achieve the optimal. The best example is in internet posts. Ever have your post you had responded to, where it questions an inconsistency in your line of thinking (how can you say that when you said "so-and-so" before) if my understanding is correct, that is classic Ti. A change in a thought pattern sticks out like a sore thumb. This is also determined It's a parallel to Fi, where an inconsistency is noticed in a value system instead of a logical system. When checked internally, it compares a state of feeling, a value or an ideal at the moment in its more actual form compared to the optimal value (an example being where the ideal state is to fall madly in love with the particular person, the Fi checks and compares it to the more accurate state, which may only be mild infatuation) and reports back and attempts to find a way for the more accurate meter's level to reach the ideal meter's level. So really, there is little difference between them. As an INTP once said (INFPs and INTPs are like two identical engines, but running on different fuels.)

Alas though, my explanation comes down to whether I'm an INFP or not and if I understood Fi (and Ti) and haven't confused them with something else. :happy:

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hmm, still difficult to decide. My alias Sarek is still a very appropriate one. I am readily and easily capable of applying strict logic yet in interpersonal relationships very much a feeling person.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Huh. I feel like resorting to the stereotypical and saying that INFPs care about other people's feelings and their own feelings and INTPs are socially handicapped robots who think the rest of the world should just get over itself. :crazy: ...Actually, that's not (very) true. Maybe.

I've always been a strong Thinker; I never had trouble with the I, the N, or the T in my personality at all, just that pesky J/P divide. So, instead of espousing theory, which I don't know that much about, I'll list a few of the traits that I believe mark me as a definite Thinker. Hopefully it will be of some assistance! :happy:

-I have a lot of trouble with empathy sometimes.
A. I don't like comforting other people. It's hard to keep my mind on it, because I really don't feel comfortable or know what to do, and my mind usually wanders to other things while I'm patting them on the back. If it's one of the few people I actually care about, I do my best to take care of them, feeling inadequate all the while--but if it's not one of the people dearest to me, I find myself exasperatedly wishing they would just go away.
B. I am never emotionally affected when I see a disturbing story on the news or a dramatic documentary. My personal assessment of the socially appropriate reaction may tell me that the material is sad, and I may frown and contemplate the issues presented, but it is almost impossible for me to be "upset" by something that does not directly affect me.
C. When my Feeling friends tell me that they can't watch something or need a cooldown period after reading/watching/listening to something that "upset" them or caused them to have an emotional reaction, I am always baffled.
D. Sometimes, I want to respond to people having emotional (over)reactions with "...Well, stop. o_O" I need to work on this, to be more tolerant and less confused when people react emotionally to something I consider silly or trivial.
E. This is not to say that I can't be emotionally affected by art, usually music or theatre, sometimes literature. Some things just manage to strike a deep personal chord in me, unlike the problems and news stories I just can't relate to. I cried while sitting in the back of the theatre watching The Glass Menagerie, I found myself sniffling after reading Little Eyolf, and Death of a Salesman triggered a personal feeling so strong that it caused a practical breakdown. These moments are, of course, very few and far between.

-I tend to explain my own state of mind with "Feeling" words even though my reactions aren't necessarily the same as Feelers'.
A. Instead of getting angry about issues which don't directly affect me, I become...energized. It's hard to explain. I like intellectual debates and like to be indignant and wave my hands and talk in an animated manner. My Feelers get confused sometimes; they tell me it's not good to be so "angry" or "upset". I have to explain to them that internally, it's not a negative feeling. (I've taken to telling my mother, "I'm not angry mom, just emphatic.") Unlike my Feelers, who seem to become involuntarily stressed from this sort of thing, I can shut these high-energy states off at will. Even though I may say "That pissed me off!", I'm not experiencing anger in the same sense that a Feeler would experience it.
B. It takes a lot to change my internal state. I think my hour-to-hour emotions are a lot...blunter than those of my ENFP and ENFJ. I feel gentle rises and falls in the amount of energy I have; I may feel irritated or benevolent in some well-insulated place deep inside of myself, but I am rarely carried away by emotion. Sometimes I fake it to translate my own assessment of how I am feeling into a language that most people will understand.
C. Something I have read is typical of INTPs but probably NOT true for everyone: when I'm exhausted or feeling particularly attacked (Yes, I have been in an abusive situation before), my general emotional stoicism can crumble into violent breakdowns--screaming, anger, crying. It's very primal and very hard to control this when it happens and I'm deeply embarrassed by it. On one hand, the logical part of me is aware that I can stop myself at any time, but the undeveloped emotional part of me can't stop.

-Being in a relationship with an NF has made it even more obvious that I am not one. :tongue:
A. Sometimes, I believe I'm just not capable of loving someone in the same sense that he loves me, even though I do care for him immensely. Perhaps it's the fundamental selfishness in me. It's just not possible for me to lose myself in or devote myself to someone else in the way a lot of Feelers can--not just for the sake of an emotion alone, anyway.
B. I am ever-so-awkward when expressing my emotions. It's very hard for me to put them into words, and I always feel extremely self-conscious. It took me ages to be able to say "I love you" in return, because I wanted it to be meaningful but wasn't comfortable with or conscious of the meaning yet.
C. Leaving the realm of the personal, it's my understanding that in a relationship, an INFP will idealize their partner, believing them to be "perfect" and work very hard to keep that view of them, and an INTP probably won't believe in that sort of perfection.

...Hope this extremely long, convoluted, and badly-written post helps...-ish?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Minivanhelsing

I LOST MY POST IN THE POSTBACK. And I can't recover it. Please know that your post really does help and I can relate to it, but not completely.:laughing: If you're wondering about the tag, check out the announcement :cool:

Reactions: minavanhelsing

·
Registered
276 Posts
It's like ForsakenMe said, really.

It's curious, because I tend to be on a line between the two of them. I'm not so much INFP, as I'm not so much INTP.

The tests pointed out I'm an INFP, but I always wondered. "A lot of times I'm more like an INTP... it makes sense that I'm an INTP... in some ways".

To make it clear, I took that test in "mypersonality.info" and found out the "thinking" and "feeling" rate were almost 50%-50%, but feeling was slightly higher, and that's how the result was INFP.

Today I took that test again, after a long period of time. It pointed out 63% thinking and 37% feeling. So, I'm an INTP, now? hehe I don't know. I guess I'm too complicated.
Same thing happens to me, I believe I'm basically 50% F and 50% T

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
I am less imaginative than INFPs. I love debating, while I have heard that INFPs don't. I am usually not hurt by criticism.

I analyze what people say or do for at least a day before I decide how I feel about it. I will choose not to feel anything until I have considered all of the possibilities. I am not certain if INFPs have a different approach, but I suspect that they do.

·
Registered
437 Posts
my best friend is an INTP and one of the main differences between us is how we are with people.
for example
i love relationships, anticipating falling in love , and putting myself in situations that i think will get me there faster.
in the end i always end up hurt, and i knew it from the start how it'd end.
so i long for a connection with people. i go out and wait for it to happen and it doesn't.
my INTP friend longs for the same thing BUT he knows better than to put himself out there like i do.
he longs for the same ideal connection with people that i do, but he isolates himself because he knows how it'll end.
so INFP's long for love controls them and INTP's long for love makes them hide in fear of the vulnerability.
maybe i'm wrong.

·
Registered
420 Posts
A close friend of mine is an INTP and we're really quite similar in many ways. However our approach to dealing with things is where we differ radically. All he cares about are cold hard facts. He goes all terminator sometimes; whereas I am fueled by my emotions. That being said I can cross over to T-dom rather easily so long as it's not a topic that pertains to myself (it's a bit of a bitch how that works).

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
my best friend is an INTP and one of the main differences between us is how we are with people.
for example
i love relationships, anticipating falling in love , and putting myself in situations that i think will get me there faster.
in the end i always end up hurt, and i knew it from the start how it'd end.
so i long for a connection with people. i go out and wait for it to happen and it doesn't.
my INTP friend longs for the same thing BUT he knows better than to put himself out there like i do.
he longs for the same ideal connection with people that i do, but he isolates himself because he knows how it'll end.
so INFP's long for love controls them and INTP's long for love makes them hide in fear of the vulnerability.
maybe i'm wrong.
Yes, I do hide in fear of vulnerability! It's baffling even to myself! When I like someone, I try to let him know I care through actions, by being attentive, considerate, and kind, but I allow none of my true feelings to show so as not to feel vulnerable. I act emotionless when I am really in love! It's like a guy has to be able to see through all of my defenses and patiently deal with them until they fall down or he is going to think I am simply not interested.

·
Banned
10 Posts
I can help with this question I'm an identical twin, my brother is INFP, and we're known as mirror-opposite twins. INFPs are mistreated. All right I'm not going to be here to argue that, I've lived with a true INFP my whole life, harvard even wanted to study my brother and I because of our pseudo-biopposite gene-structure. They are people that seem sincere but often times people think it's 'asseyness' is what me and my brother say for the word. The problem is: they are sincere, and to be a true INFP you have to actually be nice, not 'try' and many times other INFs get this wrong. THEY ARE VERY STUBBORN PEOPLE, but yet so are INTPS. They are the people known in the world with Davinci personalities, and this was even detailed in my psychology class, (which I got an A in if there's any discussion on that topic)

INTPs: Well I am one, I'm even in a gifted classroom, (not to brag but it will help you understand the INTP), that's because I have slight autistic tendencies. A lot of times this type is brought on by a 'survival-instinct' switch brought on early in life. Neglect, abuse, that sort of thing often triggers INTP-typology. Traditionally, thinking should be superior to intuition and although this is debatable. I took the test and my thinking was also superior to intution, but when I took the personality cafe test, I got INTP again.

At an early age I was beaten as well as my brother, it was proven by many doctors today that my parents were psychopathic. As an INTP I can't help my stature or how I sit, I'm not selfish and if you meet an INTP who is then know they are not a true INTP because traditionally INTP and INFP are without the self.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I am less imaginative than INFPs. I love debating, while I have heard that INFPs don't. I am usually not hurt by criticism.

I analyze what people say or do for at least a day before I decide how I feel about it. I will choose not to feel anything until I have considered all of the possibilities. I am not certain if INFPs have a different approach, but I suspect that they do.
I like that you tend to consider all the possibilities first.
It gives a diplomatic, well rounded view on all angles.

·
Registered
869 Posts
INTPs... They are more of a "Thinker", and INFPs are more of a "Feeler".

Pretty similiar since their other letters are aligned with each other, lol!
Haha that was pretty funny and sarcastic!

INTPs and INFPs may come across as perhaps somewhat similar, both intuitive introverted perceivers, of course, but in reality they are very different. INTPs are Ti doms with Ne as auxiliary and INFPs are Fi doms with Ne as auxiliary. Ti and Fi might look similar sometimes but they are also fundamentally different. I don't know if this is a good explanation, but Fi sees the world through a its values and emotions. Ti organises the world according to some internal logic. Both can be frustrating to argue with because Fi might tell you that something clicks or feels right and wont be able to explain why and Ti will stretch the boundaries or premises to fit their conclusions. For both things have to make sense in an internal way, one through values and the other through logic and I find both can be deeply subjective and also both are supported by Ne, so the thought process is somewhat similar, Ne will always ask what it, see a pattern, add elements to the process, resist a conclusion etc. INFPS use Te and and INTPs don't. Really, they are nothing alike. Also have a read on Fe and Fi, because the motivations are completely different, INTPs use Fe as their fourth function, so really they focus on the feelings of others as often as we indulge in Te activities (not that often I guess).

"When I am emotional I am an INFP and when I am logical I am an INTP, and I used to be one and now the other or I'm in between or I switch at will etc" is quickly becoming one of my biggest pet peeves in this forum. No, sorry INFPs don't use Ti and INTPs don't use Fi, nothing to do with your ability to cry watching eastenders or being good at maths.

·
Registered
227 Posts
One of my best friends is INTP, so this is interesting to me. I tend to act on Fi values and she on Ti principles. We're both flexible, though.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Having been typed INTP a few years ago and INFP just recently, I sort of have an idea of where the confusion is coming from.

I think understanding the difference starts with letting go of stereotypes and character traits, just like others have said before me (more or less). The second thing to do is to understand that the I and P means your third letter (F or T) is introverted and dominant. It means you're likely to judge/evaluate more than perceive/observe - though everyone does both, naturally.

And your style of evaluating is either F or T. F meaning it's based on personal values, T meaning it's based on impersonal logic (though both are still subjective - bound to the individual!). When things are according to your personal values, it just feels right. When things are according to your impersonal logic, it just is right. Yet, both F and T can be ridiculously rational about their evaluations, making it especially hard for INFP's who value critical thinking, to confuse what 'feels' right with what 'is' right.

If you want to take it a step further, yes, a good point would be to start understanding the tertiary and inferior function - they're pretty different.

Also, note that this thread is pretty old and the OP is now an INFJ, lol.

Reactions: Mulberries
1 - 20 of 31 Posts