Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so Im pretty sure a majority of us do this thing were we pick a topic (unconsciously or consciously) and we start debating it from both sides. Whats the dumbest thing you've ever debated with yourself?

I think mine is when I kept thinking on how when humans are near a bathroom they urge to urinate becomes much larger but there are also ways to lessen the urge by thinking about something else but then it just spiraled into is it okay to stop the urge when it is near the bathroom and is it different when your not near a bathroom? and what's the point of the urge getting stronger near a bathroom anyways? and so on. I spent so much time in the bathroom thinking about it.

needless to say Ne is a very amazing function.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
-

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Love it, excellent thread!

An argument I had with myself : "Objective success => Subjective misery" (not the case anymore) :D

Reactions: aswanisonfire

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
UFOs is a kinda dumb topic I've spent a lot of time arguing back and forth in my mind.

I remember one night in college around the time youtube was still newish it suddenly dawned on me that I can find a list on wikipedia of famous UFO sightings and try to see if any of them have good videos on the internet and that's what I did instead studying. After that I would often search around the internet when I was bored and couldn't sleep to see if I could find anything good on UFOs, the thing is whichever side I learned towards believing I would try to find evidence and arguments to the contrary and since there's not much solid evidence and as far we know it's not outside the realm of possibility I found myself flu flopping a lot....a soon as I found enough to push to one side I would start arguing the other side in my mind.

It was a kind of stupid topic to waste so much time on, but the really interesting thing I found about it was the psychological element of why people would believe or not believe something and their attitude towards it...this was before I knew mbti. I was really interested in why some people seem close minded and stubborn in their believe while other people seemed open minded etc. why some people would be apathetic while others obsessed. I felt belief towards aliens was very analogous to people's outlook and attitude towards religious beliefs. And its interesting how a lot of people who believe in aliens have those beliefs as some sort of modern day substitute for religion. I would look into conspiracy theory videos for similar reasons, but those never seemed to have enough substance for me to take too seriously for long, whereas whether aliens have visited earth I couldn't help but wonder and flip flop back and forth on...tho that has died out as over the years I never came across any substantial evidence for visitation, but did find a lot of evidence that people crave believing in that stuff for psychological reasons...also people who are into aliens never seem to account for how fucking vast space actually is. Sure there's there's more stars than grains of sand on earth or what not, but there's only a hand full of stars w/in a few light years of earth. What are the chances really that intelligent life inhabits a planet close enough and within the right timeframe to visit us within the short time frame civilized man has been on earth? And even if they did visit so fucking what? How does that change anything? I get annoyed when people can't give humans credit for stacking blocks in a fucking triangle and inventing velcro... so I feel kinda dumb when I think about the time wasted arguing over that stuff in my head. But then again I feel it's perhaps dumber not to even be open to consider such things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts