Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what's the last great risk you took in your life that if you failed it would have hurt you terribly and would be a huge blow to your self-worth and self-esteem?

I think taking those risks are what changes your life and makes you a better person. I use to take risks all the time. I've moved out at 19 because I couldn't stand living with my parents anymore. I had enough money for deposit and 1 month's rent but I didn't have a job. If I didn't find one quickly, I would have just been so screwed.

Taking risks was always fun and exciting. Now as I'm getting older, I take less risks which is just sad and pathetic way for me to live.

The last great risk I took started on April 1st this year. I revamped my Giving Ground blog (www.givingground.net). It's a daily record of how I'm getting to where I want to be. For example, one of my goals is I want to ride a 3 day 180 mile bike ride next year. I have no frickin' clue how I'm going to be doing that being 20lbs overweight.

If I fail, it's going be very public and very embarrassing. Also, my entire INFP Blog is based on telling INFPs that all the crappy things INFPs currently do can be mitigated in order to achieve our dreams. Giving Ground is where I prove that I'm not just talking out my ass. So if I don't complete my goals, it's going to be a huge blow to the validity of the stuff I'm spouting on my INFP Blog.

So what's the last big risk you took that could possibly crush you if you failed?

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
None.I've never really taken any risks,it's kind of a problem
I don't even know how to ride a bike because when I was younger I was scared
of getting hurt too badly,so I just forgot about learning.

But I am learning to drive now three years too late,but whatever.
I'm trying to take more risks and get out into the world more especially as I'm older
but still have time.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Started my own business in the early days of this current recession (2007) with no capital and only my reputation to cling to. Failing would have meant embarrassment (which I don't do) and a severe blow to self-esteem.

Fortunately for me, failure wasn't an option. I was profitable from the beginning, to the surprise of my accountant, last year was fantastic and this year will likely triple if not quadruple last year.Currently, there is more work than we can handle to my expectations of efficiency.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Explored some abandoned mine shafts last month while camping. Some of them I went miles in only to turn a corner and a dark hole just emerges from the ground. One wrong step...

Very exhilarating.

Dunno of that counts :p I think the last risk I took was moving in with a bunch of E's last May (of whom its pretty hard to have a deep convo with). Turned out to be a pretty good "risk"

·
Registered
49 Posts
Met a girl online who lived on the other side of the country. Got on a plane and went to meet her, stayed three weeks, came back home, packed my stuff, and moved cross country. Spent ten years with her (the last five of it married) before getting divorced. I'd do it again.

·
Registered
117 Posts
ate some McDonalds
You brave man. :mellow:

On topic, I haven't taken any risks lately. But I will be at the end of this month when I go on my first trip alone. I planned it all myself and haven't really told anyone about it. I know my family wouldn't approve, so I've had to be sneaky about it. It's probably risky behavior in a not-so-good way, but risky all the same. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You brave man. :mellow:

On topic, I haven't taken any risks lately. But I will be at the end of this month when I go on my first trip alone. I planned it all myself and haven't really told anyone about it. I know my family wouldn't approve, so I've had to be sneaky about it. It's probably risky behavior in a not-so-good way, but risky all the same. :laughing:
Traveling by yourself and having just to depend on yourself in an environment that's unfamiliar to you is pretty cool and very challenging, especially if you've never done it before.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Traveling by yourself and having just to depend on yourself in an environment that's unfamiliar to you is pretty cool and very challenging, especially if you've never done it before.
I can only imagine. :laughing:
It's gonna be an amazing experience, whatever happens. I'm going because of a friend's birthday, but really, it's become more for me than him. It'll be my first real taste of independence. It's scary to think about, but so exciting.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Getting engaged and being prepared to move to another country.. Worst risk I ever tried, didn't turn out quite the way I felt it would..

·
Banned
708 Posts
I agree with the OP, risks are almost the reward themselves..their necessary for personal growth. Best of luck to you in your 3 day journeys.

As for myself, I moved two years ago from the heartland of America to the northeast with a little money scraped together - had the itch. Got seriously taken advantage of upon arrival (just happened to be one of the most corrupt counties in the U.S.) but I pulled through undeterred. After tying up some loose ends and as soon as finals are over I'm set to relocate again...never a dull moment.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've lived a safe life pretty much all my life. I think every INFP needs to throw themselves (or be thrown) in the extreme deep end. Luckily, living safe has meant I've been able to save a decent amount of money that I can do pretty much anything I want.

Unfortunately, I've also acquired enough possessions to be able to justify to myself that it's too much to leave behind. Shit excuse, but I'm slowly letting go :happy:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just applied and got accepted to the Anaheim Campus for Westwood College in CA (expensive as crazy to live there), did I mention that I'm right now in Dakar Senegal (a country in Africa) while I did that paperwork....

·
Registered
915 Posts
man, you travelers! Im so jelious. I'm usually cautious but I can be very impulsive. I'm impulsive with jobs, Ill talk back to the boss, if they are absolutely ridiculous. I once walked off the job and I once quit a job to go camping! lol Best camping trip ever! Ended up going on a three hour journey down a river on a blow up matress.
I stood up to my mormon parents when I was 18. That took guts (for me at least I was a goody two shoe) but I haven't ever regretted it. lol my dad called me a harlott. haha bible whore. Which I am totally not I've had one bf. Leaving that church was risky, I lost hundreds of friends. But worth it to not live the life I was predestined for.
Other risks...hmmm I once jumped off a pretty high bridge. A couple people have died jumping off of it. My whole butt was a bruise after that, I landed funny. I sometimes walk alone at night. Shoot, I suck at being risky. I'd like to be more risky/compulsive. I really want to buy some land in Ontario Canada of all places. Or somewhere were you can buy a lot of acreage for cheap. That's risky, to not live a very normal but nature rich life. SOooo, Ill get back to you on that one!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Fell madly in love with a girl that I feel like I will love forever, regardless of the circumstances. Ended up with a broken heart and broken dreams. Still trying to figure it all out.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Compared to some of you, my last big (relatively) isn't that big of a deal, but for me the last one I made was asking out a girl. Didn't go well, unfortunately. Hit my self esteem and self confidence pretty hard, but I am on the mend and it has made me that much better at dealing with rejection. So it might be a good thing in the long run.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Last year I started my own business: publishing a small, local, community focused magazine. I handled all of the creative end: graphic/web design, writing/editing, directing photoshoots, etc. I also did a lot of the dry business stuff. I'm proud of the quality work I turned out.

I had an ESTP business parter who did the sales, but she could not sell what we needed in advertising. We barely broke even on 2 issues, and neither of us has the personal resources to continue.

So then, my business partner drained whatever little money we did make & skipped town. I took her to court & won, but I'll probably never see the money (winning a claim and getting paid are two different things).

I regret it and I don't...the job I left to pursue this venture wouldn't be there now anyway. That business was dying when I left and it went under shortly thereafter. I DO regret pairing up with a dishonest, swindling ESTP! :angry:

:bored:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think for INFPs, relationships risks are always the most challenging and the most rewarding, whether it's letting yourself falling in love or forming a business partnership with someone. Having to depend on another person for something important takes us way out of our comfort zone.

Even if the relationships goes badly, I learn more about myself then I would have if I didn't get into those relationships in the first place.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts