Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is an INFJ thing or not (I think it is), but I've realized that I crave, sometimes, to have SUPER SUPER SUPER LONG conversations with people.

Where I get to explain/dump something I'm thinking about, COMPLETELY. In excruciating detail.
I've had a solid 3 hr conversation with a friend once, a 2 hr consversation with my mom or dad before. Every so often, I crave this.

And if I am able to tell them everything about something that I wanted to? It's weird, but I think I actually feel a release, like this pressure in my head has gone down or even dissipated after being able to finally explain what I couldn't, and tell someone about it. Seriously, I feel like there's an endorphin rush in me, my head feels clear, fluid, and I feel an ease of thought (as opposed to a burden of thought sometimes?)

Does this ever happen to you? Do you seek this out? How do you feel afterwords? And finally, what is the longest conversation you've had with anyone?

Actually, I've just come off of a 2.5hr conversation with a friend. Honestly? I feel amazing. (Yes we did talk, I wasn't talking at them the whole time)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Maybe not an INFJ thing. I've had weekly 2-3 hour straight conversations with my last ex in addition to smaller conversations and she was ESFP. I've easily gone 3-4 hours with a close ENTP friend of mine. Another close friend of mine who I believe to be INFJ can rake up 3-4 hours as well. There are just certain people that I can go hours with.

I'm curious about connecting with a female INFJ. I have a feeling we can go well beyond 6 hours and not even notice it. Hunger or sunrise would let us know that its time to call it quits.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anywhere doesn't matter. I guess it's a big thing for me, because I'm introverted. Other than these conversations, I really don't talk to anyone other than 1-2 friends and I only see them once/ week. Most of my week, I really don't say much of anything.

Maybe more of an introverted thing?? Or maybe it's just me thinking so.

·
Registered
303 Posts
When I saw long conversations, I was thinking LONG. What's this sissy 3-4 hour stuff?

When I get into a good conversation with someone (one on one in person) and we 'click'...well I can't say for sure what the longest was - but those conversations for me go no less than 12-14 hours. I kid you not. It's not often. Coming across someone who will also talk that long about topics I adore is rare. But when it does...holy cow. I've talked through the night, into the morning until we both crash where we're seated.

It can't be on trivial, superficial things. I'm talking about super deep, metaphysical, meaning of life, etc. types of conversations. And they have to participate at least as much as I do & be as interested or I clam up. I swear if it wasn't for those at least once in a great while I would've gone cuckoo by now. It's one of the ways I survive the intensity, lonliness, etc.

I don't know know if it's an INFJ thing or what accounts for it. I just have to KNOW. EVERYTHING. And understand. EVERYTHING. And everyone. NOW. :crazy: Except for those rare times I talk myself horse, I'm silent and watching everything trying to soak information in that way.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I only crave real conversations If not I can't hide my boredom.
LOL - I'm so with you on that one.

I space out immediately or if it's Uber boring-->
I will unvoluntarily yawn incessantly over and over until I have tears rolling down my face.

I can literally get bored to tears.

Reactions: Cantarella

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also crave long conversations. My longest was probably about 12 hours via AIM.

Reactions: Bright Laughter

·
Registered
282 Posts
I had a 7 hour conversation with an INTJ; it didn't even feel like 2 hours past... Looked at the time and went "Holy cow!" So maybe it is an N think I dunno. It is difficult to click with most out there being sensors who tire me out quickly (mutual ussualy)... I love long conversations there is nothing better!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
One night (more than a year ago) I had an amazing conversation with a PC member over IM that lasted at least 7 hours, probably more. The sun came up before we gave it up. It was particularly memorable because I think we both really needed it that day, and I think it helped us both.

Over the years I've had a lot of marathon conversations thru the night lasting til dawn and beyond, but usually in person, LOL! And often accompanied by copious quantities of red wine.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
A stimulating, super long conversation makes me feel amazing. Although, by my standards, a ridiculously long, non-stop conversation is...about an hour? I often have to retreat for a while to recharge, but I love a great conversation and wish it would never stop.

Reactions: Cantarella

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have gone on for a little over 3 hours talking with some people on whatever came to our minds. It was a conversation unlike any that I've ever had. I will usually go on 1-2 hour conversations with my father about the origins of life and the universe. Just the other day I started going on about some of my musings on the origin of emotions and how much society has changed the way we view it.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I've had some epic conversations online, but in person and the phone not so much. I think the longest phone conversation I've had was around 3-4 hours, possibly a little longer. But that's pretty rare especially when you take into account my extremely high phone anxiety. Although I could sit around a bong and talk forever. XD

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
I don't talk on the phone that much, and when I do it usually doesn't last long.

I have a habbit of not wanting to write in shorthand when writing text messages, so they tend to be longwinded compared to most. (I just hate writing "u" instead of "you"...it's just two more letters for crying out loud. :crazy:)

Interpersonal conversations usually don't last long, unless they are about something that I am interested in, or if it is just joking back and forth- I seem to do ok there.

Online conversations vary.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Chat: 9+ hours straight, with bathroom breaks inbetween.

Phone: 5+ hours, I usually get bored pretty fast on the phone--it takes a pretty darn engaging conversationalist to keep me on the phone that long. So far, only three people have managed to keep me on the phone for longer than an hour: my best friend, my ENTJ honey bunny, and the person I had the 9+ hour online chat with. xD

Face-to-Face: Maybe 6+ hours, I get bored and will just drift away. Or fall asleep.

Also, I find it really hard to be the first to say bye during a good conversation. With my best friend, we usually talk until the phone dies. And with my ENTJ guy, we talk (or he talks and I listen) until he falls asleep and starts snoring. Then it would end like so, "Did you want me to let you go so you can sleep?" "If you want to, babe." "G'night, sleepyhead."

·
Registered
917 Posts
3 hour long conversation over new-years eve to the new year, I only have 100 hours of talk a month over my mobile and I payed the price for it...
She STILL owes me that £7.03 for going over my limit :3

Reactions: linax
1 - 20 of 38 Posts