Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 331 Posts

·
Plague Doctor
5,927 Posts
Oh man there's so many of these! I'm sure I have a list somewhere (being serious).

Let's see. The whole "slim fit" jeans that people are into for the past X years or so? That makes no sense to me. They are so uncomfortable, cut off circulation, and are extremely unflattering - even to people who have traditionally nice bodies.

Waiting in lines. It's so passive. I mean, it's efficient and clearly a good thing to do, but I don't understand why we do it without any explicit direction to do it. Some lines are formed from those little gate looking things, but mostly lines tend to form spontaneously for no reason other than it's just the way things are done.

One that I've had pointed out to me that I don't particularly question for cleanliness purposes is the idea that we are one of the only species who hold it when we have to go to the bathroom. That's pretty weird if one contemplates how irrational it is to not do something one essentially needs to do. The social taboo though! I actually do get that social norm.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Can't spark up a conversation with a random stranger without them thinking there's something wrong with you, or you want something.
Where I'm from we aren't afraid to politely chat with random strangers, and we probably won't make nasty assumptions about you for doing so! :proud:

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
The utter disgust of public nudity.

It baffles me that it's a crime to wander the streets completely naked since we all know what human bodies look like and that we see ourselves naked all the time.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Was here to say shaking hands.

Why is the firmness of a handshake a measure of a man (women too? or is this just men?). Throttling my hand does not impress me, in fact it's annoying. I'm sure if I Google hard enough I could find out, but it's just silly looking at it at face value.

·
King of Swing
8,790 Posts

Why is the firmness of a handshake a measure of a man (women too? or is this just men?). Throttling my hand does not impress me, in fact it's annoying. I'm sure if I Google hard enough I could find out, but it's just silly looking at it at face value.
It dates back to roman times. Soldiers would shake hands to let the other know they weren't going to whip out their sword. I don't know about the firmness thing though.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
It dates back to roman times. Soldiers would shake hands to let the other know they weren't going to whip out their sword. I don't know about the firmness thing though.
That's a really old custom. Interesting that it lasted this long.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I don't mind hand shakes. Honestly to me it's kind of a nice gesture like.. If it's a friend it's like a non-sexual intimacy of showing your platonic love. I can understand it being seen as weird though. My reasoning is I grew up and have a few close friends still who are part of the "hip hop" crowd so we always "dap" and quick hug and all that really friend-ily lmao.

The thing I find really weird is asking people whomstdve you aren't close to "how are you" as a greeting. Because if you're not close, chances are they're just going to say "good" then ask you and you'll most likely say good. Like ????????????????? Can we just say Hi and move on I'm not gonna spill my depressions on an acquaintance or stranger. But, it's so socially normal, That even I've started doing it. RIP

·
Banned
8,295 Posts

I grew up in a small hick town. I was very small the first time this came up. I shook an old mans hand and he said, "Don't give no wimpy hand shake, shake my hand firm, look me in the eyes." :dry:

·
Banned
8,295 Posts
Can't spark up a conversation with a random stranger without them thinking there's something wrong with you, or you want something.
As an introvert, chit chat is just annoying. If a stranger starts up a conversation, what more could they have to offer then small talk. I have a small battery and extroverts take all my reserve.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
I don't mind hand shakes. Honestly to me it's kind of a nice gesture like.. If it's a friend it's like a non-sexual intimacy of showing your platonic love. I can understand it being seen as weird though. My reasoning is I grew up and have a few close friends still who are part of the "hip hop" crowd so we always "dap" and quick hug and all that really friend-ily lmao.

The thing I find really weird is asking people whomstdve you aren't close to "how are you" as a greeting. Because if you're not close, chances are they're just going to say "good" then ask you and you'll most likely say good. Like ????????????????? Can we just say Hi and move on I'm not gonna spill my depressions on an acquaintance or stranger. But, it's so socially normal, That even I've started doing it. RIP
Without hijacking this into the Handshake thread XD, I do shake my students' hands when they enter the classroom (I'm a substitute elementary teacher). This sets things off on a good start, especially since I make so many first impressions.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
Why do people go out shopping or whatever wearing PJs? Not saying you have to dress up or anything, but it can't be hard to throw on some jeans and a t-shirt or whatever, lol.

Why do people wear shorts in wintertime? I don't get it. They'll have jacket on, maybe even gloves and a scarf. And shorts. Bare legs. Like wtf? :laughing:

Can you tell I've worked retail? :tongue:

·
Registered
725 Posts
When someone sneezes you're expected to say "Bless you," but not if someone coughs. I mean, it's been well established that "Bless you" originated as a superstition, but we are basically wishing the person well. So why hasn't this evolved to also encompass coughing by now?

Whenever someone coughs and I say "Bless you," they respond with, "I was coughing, not sneezing," so I follow up with, "FINE! CURSE YOU! I HOPE YOU DIE!!"

Spurn my blessings, why dontcha. XD

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
When someone sneezes you're expected to say "Bless you," but not if someone coughs. I mean, it's been well established that "Bless you" originated as a superstition, but we are basically wishing the person well. So why hasn't this evolved to also encompass coughing by now?

Whenever someone coughs and I say "Bless you," they respond with, "I was coughing, not sneezing," so I follow up with, "FINE! CURSE YOU! I HOPE YOU DIE!!"

Spurn my blessings, why dontcha. XD
I've heard when you sneeze, your heart stops for that one brief moment. "Bless you" was meant to be a small prayer (either in thanks that you kept living afterward, lol, or that was said in a kind effort to ask God to keep your heart going again after). I'm not sure if that's the superstition you're referring to or not, but assuming it's true that your heart stops for that micro-second or whatever, I imagine that's why the phrase is still around.

PJ's are comfy :tongue:
True, but I don't see how they're comfy in public, but maybe that's just me. :tongue: Looking like a lazy d-bag is about as pleasant as sitting on a cactus.

1 - 20 of 331 Posts