Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
inspiration from the "What pisses you off about INTPs?" thread:

His obliviousness to the responsibilities of the future. He is constantly immersed in whatever he is doing at the moment with no sense of responsibility. I know paying the bills, doing laundry, returning library books on time, setting mousetraps, calling the landlord back, fixing his jalopy car, checking his voicemail, eating food other than crackers, getting a JOB, etc, are boring mundane things, but if you leave them alone for too long, it comes back to bite you in the ass. He just doesn't think that stuff is important and would rather sit in his study all day and remind himself how calculus works, what the scientific name for the warthog is, and which words contain glottal stops. I admire this about him, too. however, I wish he wouldn't push me to the point of having to be a nag. I don't like nagging but I don't want him to be trapped in a regrettable situation which could have easily been prevented had he just planned ahead a little better.
when i was in grad school i forgot to turn in my housing application and ended up homeless for a couple of weeks. i lived temporarily out of a suitcase in the school library and in various other university buildings; i showered in the school gym. i was eventually kicked out by the security guards (from more than one building). :dry:

i'm sure there are worse messes, actually, but none occur to me at the moment.

soooo.....

what's yours?

Reactions: Kitagawa Megumi

·
Registered
121 Posts
I forgot to turn in a form last week for next semestre's classes, yet somehow I managed to find time to apply for housing. So I'm going to live at the university, but I'll have no classes. Not really sure why I'm going now. Oh, yes. And I forgot to apply for scholarships, so I have no idea how I'm going to even pay for college. Debt, here I come. Hurrah.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
hahahah, "inertia". :D

1st semester: did not pass the easiest biology class i've ever taken because i did not study for the exams, forcing myself to use learned and self-acquired knowledge. interestingly, i was one of the most involved students in the class enough to become acquainted with the professor (he still waves hi to me when i happen to walk by). i barely passed precalculus course, same reason. started missing anthropology class, did not do some extra credits, and thus did not pass the class.
consequently, my GPA last semester was 2.21

this semester, i'm failing calculus for the same reasons; i'm extremely disappointed in myself for giving up after failing three exams because i didn't study, not so much that i'm utterly incapable of understanding, even if it's not my best subject... possibly not doing well in astronomy, also easiest class ever, for getting lazy and not going to class because professor was boring. was not motivated enough to read through lectures and review for exam. i do most of the work, it's just laziness and disinterest. (however, now we're going over the FUN STUFF, like BLACK HOLES and SUPERNOVAE and GENERAL RELATIVITY. so i'm doing much better.)

basically: if uninterested, then unmotivated. if "lost case", then unmotivated. i pretty much fucked up my entire first semester of college because i didn't devote as much time as i should have to classes that were not chemistry and classics.

i feel pretty terrible about this and i don't openly admit it to anyone besides my roommate, but it's kind of a harsh blow because this is not something i'm used to (any of it). i don't know, i see that i am obviously my biggest problem, but this strenuous education system is also infuriating.

i work so much better when i'm on my own, or learning on my own OUTSIDE of a curriculum. hahahah.

·
Registered
121 Posts
:mellow:

My GPA last semestre was 1.8... Hurray for doing better than I!

:happy:

EDIT: Well, that sounded pretentious and a bit like self-pity... Er, just ignore me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
it did not, no problems!
i wish the so-called "advising" center did not consist of bureaucratic assholes, then my problems would be much better. ;)
:crazy:

I know... What's up with that? They're really no help at all. It's like they try to make the students' lives harder or something.

Sometimes I, too, wonder why I'm going to college. I learn just as much, if not more, on my own. Who made up this system, again?

*cough* I'm not bitter... *cough*

Reactions: R2-D2

·
Registered
318 Posts
I burned down my house because I lost interest in being hungry and left water boiling on the stove for five hours.

Not really but I could probably set the cabinets above it on fire if I didn't eventually go get myself an electric timer for that kind of thing.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
:crazy:

I know... What's up with that? They're really no help at all. It's like they try to make the students' lives harder or something.

Sometimes I, too, wonder why I'm going to college. I learn just as much, if not more, on my own. Who made up this system, again?

*cough* I'm not bitter... *cough*
sometimes i really do become furious, despite realizing i'm largely to blame. it's easier to blame the dissatisfying bureaucracy. although almost everyone i know agrees on doing away with "general education" requirements. that's what high school was for, if anything...

maybe they do it under the assumption of increasing erudition in the american population, whatever it is, it seems like a waste of time i could be using learning things to construct the career i have in mind, and it's a potential stymie for those who do not "meet" the requirements and want to get a degree in a certain time. don't get me wrong, it's not bad that we have a wide spectrum of classes in various subject areas, i just think it should be optional, not mandatory - at least not for courses that don't function as bricks (one on top of another on top of another to form a whole building of collective knowledge in one area, like math or chemistry).

i've yet a lot to learn about the college administrative system, if i was more familiar with it, maybe i could fly under its wing and manage like i did in high school, through backdoors and learning what was necessary and proper and what was actually academic bullshit.

i uphold arbitrariness... but i understand order is at least necessary. objective measures of intelligence, blah! says me, says someone who breathes objectivity and facts in order to maintain cortical balance. i've pondered dropping out, but that's unfortunately not the most lucrative way of attaining the self-actualization i so desperately desire (the idea of self-actualization seems unattainable, anyway, when you consider the invariable tendency of human beings to want more, especially us, who thrive on knowledge.)

:x
learning to deal takes time, man. sometimes you can't spit, sometimes you just have to swallow.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ha, but it's so much easier to blame others!

General Education Requirements are, indeed, not very useful for those who wish to delve deeply into one certain subject. They seem to be made for the majority--those who didn't pay attention in high school. But I jest (maybe). Sometimes I want to know everything, though, and, in that way, these classes are helpful. They give a broad scope of knowledge on a deeper scale than was found in high school; however, I think, if utilised properly, the professors can be a better source of education than the classes they teach (if this makes any sense). I understand what you mean about building blocks of education, although it seems to me that the order of most classes (as far as rising levels of difficulty and depth goes) is somewhat illogical.

As far as erudition is concerned, I do not believe that it is necessarily on the rise. If it is, then it is a different sort of erudition than the one I want. That is, I see no correlation between the type of intelligence that many want and the type of intelligence that I want. What is it that they want? I've asked around, and, sadly, most people want education in order to hold a job. What sort of an education is that? However, I think I'm just rambling now. Objectivity, I think, is a nice ideal, but is it reality? Anyway. Can I ask, for what sort of self-actualisation are you looking?

And... this has nothing to do with the title of this thread...

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I burned down my house because I lost interest in being hungry and left water boiling on the stove for five hours.

Not really but I could probably set the cabinets above it on fire if I didn't eventually go get myself an electric timer for that kind of thing.
damn you, shoku. i actually believed you for a second there. :dry:

And... this has nothing to do with the title of this thread...
*shrug* i don't know about everyone else, but personally i don't mind. :happy:

Reactions: nim

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I start off almost every class by missing the first couple of assignments and bombing the first test. Then I have to play catch up.

As far as other things go, one time I put some rice on the stove and left the kitchen with the rice boiling. I went to my computer and started writing a paper, and about an hour later I started smelling smoke. The kind of smoke like the type you would smell in a really smokey bar, but it was in the back of my mind and I ignored it. Then about an hour later I started coughing and choking on the smoke and suddenly came out of my trance. My entire house was filled with really thick smoke, but luckily the only damage was that the pan was destroyed and of course the rice was a lump of blackness. It took a couple of days to get the smoke out of the house though.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
A while ago, I was talking to my INTP friend who brought up Neanderthals and how they went extinct, etc. His reasoning and resourcefulness of the subject was appalling.

So then I ask him, "How are you doing at college?"

"My cumulative GPA still sucks" he says.

Personally, I've experienced periods of extreme apathy, but it seems like this kind of thing can't be cured in INTPs. I feel unmotivated at times mostly due to stubbornness so with a little hammering to my head, I can find some interest in whatever task I need to do.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Probably would be failing multiple classes in subjects i could of answered in my sleep since i couldnt be arsed to find out at what time the exams are and if there are any extra assignements to finish. Didnt attend the classes also and only did the tests if i found out when they are. Ended up almost getting expelled due to that.

Besides college related, had my water, power and net turned off multiple times because i forgot to pay the bills or deliver the numbers on the appropriate days. I usually pay the bills on time but quite often i lose track of time and not notice that its a new month.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I almost lost my scholarship last year in an out-of-state school.
That was pretty fun......
Most of it was due to the fact that I was physically unable to attend class, but the rest was me not caring enough to do the work. Not when there's things to think about and movies to watch and video games to play.....
Ended up with a 1.8 GPA 1st semester and finished with a 2.4 GPA.
Have the same damn problems this year too....

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
alright! i don't feel like such an academic failure after reading these responses!:unsure:
*is surrounded by Js and diligent Ps*
lol me too... and responding to the guy that almost lost his scholarship... me too. I could also be going to a way better college than I am at the moment.

So .... what do you guys think is our problem as INXP's? What is it that we need to stay focused?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
i think i just have a legitimate attention problem. i am incapable of sitting still for long periods of time and focusing on just one thing, i was never able to do that. even when i try to be diligent and study, i can't do it without interference, as if constancy was something unsettling for me.

of course i can sit and finish an assignment, but what i'm saying is my mind is not at ease while i'm doing it, even if it's interesting. i'm thinking about other things, daydreaming, counting corners, etc. i've been practicing more academic self-discipline, where i try to create some sort of routine that balances out free time and work time. it works sometimes, but almost always, free time exceeds work time.

in sparse moments, i acceptably become a machine, and i get little insights and epiphanies and things click together and it motivates me to continue! but it doesn't happen on command, it's just something i inadvertently find myself doing every once in a while. ^__~

1 - 20 of 22 Posts