Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats with everybody thinking in terms of MBTI? why is it that you think every aspect of personality is because of Fe or Ti or Ne or DFG? Do you think one part of your brain is active at a time? You should really do some studying before mindlessly adapting this theory as a religion.

Sure it helps to come close to understanding some people, or situations, But to say Fe did it or whatever doesn't make sense. Your whole brain is active and depending how diverse and active your brain is, it will lead to the same effect as the cause, DIVERSITY. Sure, some parts are more active than others at the same time, but they are all working at the same time unless you have sever mental disabilities.

Just because you cant trace your thought process doesn't mean you have to label it. Understand it.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Whats with everybody thinking in terms of MBTI? why is it that you think every aspect of personality is because of Fe or Ti or Ne or DFG? Do you think one part of your brain is active at a time? You should really do some studying before mindlessly adapting this theory as a religion.

Sure it helps to come close to understanding some people, or situations, But to say Fe did it or whatever doesn't make sense. Your whole brain is active and depending how diverse and active your brain is, it will lead to the same effect as the cause, DIVERSITY. Sure, some parts are more active than others at the same time, but they are all working at the same time unless you have sever mental disabilities.

Just because you cant trace your thought process doesn't mean you have to label it. Understand it.
Uh, derrr. :p

This is an MBTI forum. Of course on here, people are going to mainly discuss things that they can relate to MBTI.

If I'm bored in line at an airport or if I'm having fun partying, MBTI is the last thing on my mind.

P.S. You made a typo. That's obviously your Ti not working. :wink:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I hope I am reading this right. I do agree, as in MBTI type is just a SMALL factor of one's overall personality. It can NEVER define or explain fully a person's behaviour, and to expect it to do so is moot. People are complex, and personality type might provide a start or ending point, but it is NEVER the whole point. But hey, I'm just an ISFJ :wink:

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Uh, derrr. :p

This is an MBTI forum. Of course on here, people are going to mainly discuss things that they can relate to MBTI.

If I'm bored in line at an airport or if I'm having fun partying, MBTI is the last thing on my mind.

P.S. You made a typo. That's obviously your Ti not working. :wink:
sure its related but i think the dimension of it that i just explained is illogical.

and its my Ti working SO much i was focused more on the ideas than spelling.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope I am reading this right. I do agree, as in MBTI type is just a SMALL factor of one's overall personality. It can NEVER define or explain fully a person's behaviour, and to expect it to do so is moot. People are complex, and personality type might provide a start or ending point, but it is NEVER the whole point. But hey, I'm just an ISFJ :wink:
fo sho ><>

·
Banned
3,624 Posts

I personally think people just use the system to project their negative/positive experiences of people onto theoretical types (mainly negative experiences cos shit, it feels good to exact vengeance for failed relationships on a whole type, it had nothing to do with you, of course). The fact that people can type fictional characters and point the actions of the character out and say, "see look there, that's unhealthy Fi" just goes to show how people use functions to explain the complete psychology of people without considering that there's a billion processes going on in the brain at any moment, and cognition is complex and a multifaceted system. I think it's bullshit, even when they say "I don't think type is a box, I know there's more to people than their mbti/jungian type" blah blah. These are the same people who say, "I could never date a feeler based on past experience".

Type is not a restriction or claims to be the be all and end all of personality (well, not Jung), but it still gets used in that way, regardless of what people say.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I agree with the poster that said, "Uh, derr... it's an MBTI forum." If it were a forum about automobiles, well, I wouldn't be here, but other people would think about everything from an automobile enthusiast's perspective. :mellow: Context, context, context. If you would like to talk to people who think less in terms of MBTI, you should probably go to another kind of forum, doncha think?

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Frankly I'm a little bit tired of people posting in MBTI-related subforums telling me not to bring the theory into my replies while that's what the subforum is dedicated to as the name would imply.

Stating that it is a theory doesn't make it any less valid. This reminds me of evolution where people say "well, it's just a theory" as ways of trying to make you think that it is invalid somehow and not real. I strongly suspect that Jung hasn't just pulled this theory out of his behind because he did a lot of work in associated field and observed behavior or many real people. I take the labels and four-letter codes to be there simply to make it easier to us to communicate to each other about what's going on in one's mind. This is why I don't understand why some people feel like they have to discredit the theory somewhere along their presence on these forums.

The division for me of whether to bring in Jung's theories of MBTI labeling is very simple: if you are posting in a subforum titled with MBTI four letter personality code or any subforum titled "cognitive functions" or "MBTI" then in is perfectly valid to discuss theory there. If you are posting in a subforum that has no relation to MBTI then I try not to bring up theory there if I can.

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
We use all 8 functions at any given time but we use preferred functions most of the time hence why its called preference. Nobody should limit their natural way of functioning and fall into just a 2 function existence, obviously thats unhealthy if not impossible.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I personally think people just use the system to project their negative/positive experiences of people onto theoretical types (mainly negative experiences cos shit, it feels good to exact vengeance for failed relationships on a whole type, it had nothing to do with you, of course). The fact that people can type fictional characters and point the actions of the character out and say, "see look there, that's unhealthy Fi" just goes to show how people use functions to explain the complete psychology of people without considering that there's a billion processes going on in the brain at any moment, and cognition is complex and a multifaceted system. I think it's bullshit, even when they say "I don't think type is a box, I know there's more to people than their mbti/jungian type" blah blah. These are the same people who say, "I could never date a feeler based on past experience".

Type is not a restriction or claims to be the be all and end all of personality (well, not Jung), but it still gets used in that way, regardless of what people say.
i know!! its fking rediculous! the human mind can be so feeble

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with the poster that said, "Uh, derr... it's an MBTI forum." If it were a forum about automobiles, well, I wouldn't be here, but other people would think about everything from an automobile enthusiast's perspective. :mellow: Context, context, context. If you would like to talk to people who think less in terms of MBTI, you should probably go to another kind of forum, doncha think?
ive already replied to that post. you missed the point as did he,

ill quote myself

"sure its related but i think the dimension of it that i just explained is illogical." your thinking in black and white, theres different aspects to everything, this one is just deeper than most so i dont expect most people to understand anyways

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Frankly I'm a little bit tired of people posting in MBTI-related subforums telling me not to bring the theory into my replies while that's what the subforum is dedicated to as the name would imply.

Stating that it is a theory doesn't make it any less valid. This reminds me of evolution where people say "well, it's just a theory" as ways of trying to make you think that it is invalid somehow and not real. I strongly suspect that Jung hasn't just pulled this theory out of his behind because he did a lot of work in associated field and observed behavior or many real people. I take the labels and four-letter codes to be there simply to make it easier to us to communicate to each other about what's going on in one's mind. (if people definitely knew what was going on in their mind they wouldnt have to refer to their thoughts on such a surficial, non explanative level as labeling it "Fe", they could use simple language to express their true genuin thoughts.if we knew what was 100% going on in our brain, This mbti theory that just scratches the surface would not be nessesarry.) This is why I don't understand why some people feel like they have to discredit the theory somewhere along their presence on these forums.

The division for me of whether to bring in Jung's theories of MBTI labeling is very simple: if you are posting in a subforum titled with MBTI four letter personality code or any subforum titled "cognitive functions" or "MBTI" then in is perfectly valid to discuss theory there. If you are posting in a subforum that has no relation to MBTI then I try not to bring up theory there if I can.

the aspect i decribed isnt even theory its just bs, if you want to argue the points ive made go for it, but your just rambling with no direct arguement to my point, just goin off on your own little tangent.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We use all 8 functions at any given time but we use preferred functions most of the time hence why its called preference. Nobody should limit their natural way of functioning and fall into just a 2 function existence, obviously thats unhealthy if not impossible.
"But to say Fe did it or ( or one specific cause)whatever doesn't make sense."

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
ive already replied to that post. you missed the point as did he,

ill quote myself

"sure its related but i think the dimension of it that i just explained is illogical." your thinking in black and white, theres different aspects to everything, this one is just deeper than most so i dont expect most people to understand anyways
I don't understand what about what I said is black and white, and how what you said is deep. It doesn't seem deep to just complain about other people's perspective when the context already explains it.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
So many people go through an 'everyone is obsessed with mbti - I am so deep/rational/intelligent for not being a sheep and 'believing' in it! Go me!' phase. We should have a subforum dedicated to it or something.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you guys are too busy judging whast being said instead of probing it for meaning grow the fudge up.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
you guys are too busy judging whast being said instead of probing it for meaning grow the fudge up.
:laughing: Oh, delicious irony. Thank you.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
if people definitely knew what was going on in their mind they wouldnt have to refer to their thoughts on such a surficial, non explanative level as labeling it "Fe", they could use simple language to express their true genuin thoughts.if we knew what was 100% going on in our brain, This mbti theory that just scratches the surface would not be nessesarry
the aspect i decribed isnt even theory its just bs, if you want to argue the points ive made go for it, but your just rambling with no direct arguement to my point, just goin off on your own little tangent.
It's called symbolism. We use it everywhere from math to physics to engineering to chemistry to even psychology, yes. It is like saying well if people really knew what a carbon atom is they wouldn't use C as a symbol for it when writing out equations for chemical reactions, there is much more to carbon atom, current models adopted in chemistry are only scratching the surface so using C as abbreviation really is just bs that distracts people form understanding the true essence of a carbon atom. And then you go on to attack the symbols the theory uses, as if this will suddenly bring people any deeper understanding of what is going on inside their minds. Instead of Fe I can of course say "my feelings", there, what did that achieve?

When you have time to form a logical coherent argument and follow through with it instead of resorting to telling people to "grow the fudge up" you're welcome to start threads any time, till then ...

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
So many people go through an 'everyone is obsessed with mbti - I am so deep/rational/intelligent for not being a sheep and 'believing' in it! Go me!' phase. We should have a subforum dedicated to it or something.
I've seen it numerous times on type forums; anyone who questions the theory is presumed to be someone who just wants to be different, who sees type as some kind of a "box" or who is just narrow minded. All munchies asserted was some of the things people rationalise with type probably are not type related things. Is this not a reasonable suggestion to bring up the limitations of type? he stated it's a good way to get a basic understanding, but there are limits to the approach. Where is the problem in this admission? it's not debunking the whole theory.

What makes more sense? what's more "irrational"?

"Do all xxxx's <insert behaviour here>?" "dear xxxx's, is my xxxx girlfriend healthy?"

or

"there are many processes in the brain continually actively working. Immediately labeling something as being type related is misguided. Perhaps we should fully understand the phenomena before we begin to apply type to it, if it is a type related thing at all. Indeed it may not be type related as human cognition is diverse. It's a good reference to get a basic and general understanding, however there are limitations". (which is essentially rewording the OP).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts