Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't see the big deal in talking about suicide
I mean it seems to be the natural conclusion when faced with an unpredictable future
So why then do people seem to care so much or look so offended when I make a subtle reference to it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I mean it seems to be the natural conclusion when faced with an unpredictable future
So why then do people seem to care so much or look so offended when I make a subtle reference to it?
People care because it's an instinct. Humans and other mammals survive and thrive together, not in isolation.
Are you hurting?
It doesn't seem logical to end it because the future is "unpredictable." You could just as well be wasting something really great as something miserable.
So what's really going on?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm actually in a pretty good mood right now however I tend to think about ending it frequently.
Humans are animals and react to stress by either fight or flight.
Death is the ultimate flight.

Just to be clear I'm not contemplating suicide right now I'm just generally inquisitive to why people react so sporadically when it is mentioned.

·
Banned
7,396 Posts
I see nothing wrong with having a calm discussion about it either. In my opinion, it's irrational and harmful to get "offended" at someone talking about it.

But there are several reasons for adverse reactions to it besides emotionalism. They might not want to encourage that line of thinking so they react negatively to it. It's obviously irreversible and very damaging to family (and others who know you), so it's understandable they don't want to discuss it seriously (so you never get around to seriously considering it --> acting on it). Sure, it's not the most linear and logical thought process, but that's just how most people think.

I'd be kind of worried if the family was completely nonchalant about it...

And the rest of it is just social stigma that people implicitly support with their reactions. Most people can't handle the gravity of extremely serious subjects in casual conversation.

·
chicken chaser
10,145 Posts
I irrationally have the thoughts. I do everything in my mind to further that final solution. My family would be devastated, and I wouldn't see tomorrow - my usual thoughts.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Nothing in particular. In fact, suicide can sometimes be a good thing. Will a person be happier if they don't exist at all than if they stay alive? Then by all means, do it. Humans, like many machines, have a self-destruct button, and for a reason. But the thing about suicide is that even if you decide not to do it today, you can change your mind tomorrow. But once you pull the trigger, press the button, swallow the pill, or take the leap, there's no going back no matter how desperately you want to change your mind.

·
Banned
7,396 Posts
I don't agree that it's always necessarily irrational, though it oftentimes is since our basic instinct is supposed to be survival above everything, and the fact remaining that suicide is an irreversible action taken to correct a perceived problem (which might not be as permanent as it appears). Many people who didn't succeed and survived are later happy they did.

But either way, people should understand the full implications of what the action would do to those around them. I often think about the people I barely knew that went through with it, years after the fact; I can't even imagine how much it cuts and haunts the friends and family. It leaves an indelible scar.

·
Registered
31,261 Posts
I don't agree that it's always necessarily irrational, though it oftentimes is since our basic instinct is supposed to be survival above everything, and the fact remaining that suicide is an irreversible action taken to correct a perceived problem (which might not be as permanent as it appears). Many people who didn't succeed and survived are later happy they did.

But either way, people should understand the full implications of what the action would do to those around them. I often think about the people I barely knew that went through with it, years after the fact; I can't even imagine how much it cuts and haunts the friends and family. It leaves an indelible scar.
It is an opinion question. Perception is where we get what we call problems. Knowing this and placing some rational motive in, such as it is always rational to be happy, we can always be rational by not viewing everything poorly. Rationality itself is based upon a set of assumptions, none of which are invariable from person to person.

·
Banned
7,396 Posts
It is an opinion question. Perception is where we get what we call problems. Knowing this and placing some rational motive in, such as it is always rational to be happy, we can always be rational by not viewing everything poorly. Rationality itself is based upon a set of assumptions, none of which are invariable from person to person.
Now aren't you just repeating the same thing you were just criticizing me for? What did we discuss about poking Ti? What do you have against closet Ni users? Aren't all questions opinion questions on some level? Are you sure I actually read your question rather than diagonally skimming through a few select terms?

Even if you exalt complete logic/rationality, you still only have access to macro physics. And groupthink/standards/popular opinions. I mean, maybe 2 + 3 is actually not 5.

Happiness = Irrationality. Yes, I think we've deduced the solution to all of life's problems.

Now we just need to figure out the actual ethics of a functional human deciding whether to inject a heroin junkie who's fallen and can't get up and needs a hit, baby give them it.

Also, it's worth noting that your new avatar is extremely confusing to me and causes a bizarre cognitive dissonance in my mind whenever we interact. If you're not some green space gremlin promoting ageless wisdom, I just don't know what to think anymore.

·
Registered
31,261 Posts
Now aren't you just repeating the same thing you were just criticizing me for? What did we discuss about poking Ti? What do you have against closet Ni users? Aren't all questions opinion questions on some level? Are you sure I actually read your question rather than diagonally skimming through a few select terms?

Even if you exalt complete logic/rationality, you still only have access to macro physics. And groupthink/standards/popular opinions. I mean, maybe 2 + 3 is actually not 5.

Happiness = Irrationality. Yes, I think we've deduced the solution to all of life's problems.

Now we just need to figure out the actual ethics of a functional human deciding whether to inject a heroin junkie who's fallen and can't get up and needs a hit, baby give them it.

Also, it's worth noting that your new avatar is extremely confusing to me and causes a bizarre cognitive dissonance in my mind whenever we interact. If you're not some green space gremlin promoting ageless wisdom, I just don't know what to think anymore.
Indeed, they are all opinion questions because all of you munchkins are merely my opinions and hence I treat you all quite well, for my stuff is my stuff to maintain, if this were something of less significance such as school property things would be different.
Russell wrote 360 pages just to prove that 1+1=2, then Gödel came in and such that any consistent theory cannot be complete if they had these particular properties. Interestingly, there are complete and consistent systems that do not fit his criteria and thus work.
Do you dislike David Hume? I will revert back to my previous avatar if that is an adequate sign of my interpersonal affections.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Suicide is a permanent solution to temporary problems. RIP Robin Williams. There isn't anything wrong with talking about suicide, but it is a depressing topic so most people tend to avoid discussing it very often. There have been times I've been very stressed and depressed and have thought about why so many consider suicide an option. I can understand the appeal, it seems like a quick easy solution to any and all future problems, but for me the cost so outweighs the benefits. To me there are always far better options to problems than ending one's existence. Of course one's view on suicide largely depends on one's view of life, death, and after-life, which is an entirely different discussion.

·
Banned
7,396 Posts
Indeed, they are all opinion questions because all of you munchkins are merely my opinions and hence I treat you all quite well, for my stuff is my stuff to maintain, if this were something of less significance such as school property things would be different.
Russell wrote 360 pages just to prove that 1+1=2, then Gödel came in and such that any consistent theory cannot be complete if they had these particular properties. Interestingly, there are complete and consistent systems that do not fit his criteria and thus work.
Do you dislike David Hume? I will revert back to my previous avatar if that is an adequate sign of my interpersonal affections.
I feel strangely and snugly complimented by that. Or maybe smugly was actually a better word, since I am clearly best opinion. I mean, my opinions are clearly the best.

School property must be respected and kept properly maintained. That being said, I found the most interesting piece of poetry on the back of my 7th grade math textbook.

Open this door
You will die
Suffer on the lion's eye

You will weep of faith and sorrow
Vainly you will wish the morrow

In your house I dwell
When you are alone, I shall find you.

You'd think they could at least wrap it up poetically. Yes, serious. It was creepy.

And I like how you put the umlaut there, it shows disciplined rigor and strength of character, to spell out names properly. Unfortunately, I don't know who it is, but I'l take your word for it. \

And I like the avatar enough. He looks pretty, and I rather like his austere turban.

·
Registered
31,261 Posts
I feel strangely and snugly complimented by that. Or maybe smugly was actually a better word, since I am clearly best opinion. I mean, my opinions are clearly the best.

School property must be respected and kept properly maintained. That being said, I found the most interesting piece of poetry on the back of my 7th grade math textbook.

Open this door
You will die
Suffer on the lion's eye

You will weep of faith and sorrow
Vainly you will wish the morrow

In your house I dwell
When you are alone, I shall find you.

You'd think they could at least wrap it up poetically. Yes, serious. It was creepy.

And I like how you put the umlaut there, it shows disciplined rigor and strength of character, to spell out names properly. Unfortunately, I don't know who it is, but I'l take your word for it. \

And I like the avatar enough. He looks pretty, and I rather like his austere turban.
School property being maintained is usually on this basis: "if this was your house would you be throwing paper around? Exactly" Well this is my house, you are all my possessions.
Though to more correctly mimic the beliefs of Hume, objects do not exist without properties. Can you name an object without properties? You failed. Also, possibly the most major piece of his work that I had inherited is his idea about the self. He viewed the self as nothing but a bundle of recollected sensory perceptions. The self is not constant, if you replace every part of a ship, is it the same ship? Hume says the same about the self, if you the self is constantly changing throughout self, are you ever the same self? He declares that the self is merely a bundle of sticks.
But now you are making me conflicted. Because you said positive things about both of my avatars. I am conflicted.

·
Banned
7,396 Posts
School property being maintained is usually on this basis: "if this was your house would you be throwing paper around? Exactly" Well this is my house, you are all my possessions.
Though to more correctly mimic the beliefs of Hume, objects do not exist without properties. Can you name an object without properties? You failed. Also, possibly the most major piece of his work that I had inherited is his idea about the self. He viewed the self as nothing but a bundle of recollected sensory perceptions. The self is not constant, if you replace every part of a ship, is it the same ship? Hume says the same about the self, if you the self is constantly changing throughout self, are you ever the same self? He declares that the self is merely a bundle of sticks.
But now you are making me conflicted. Because you said positive things about both of my avatars. I am conflicted.
Uh, objects have properties by definition, duhurrr! Otherwise they be abstractions or concepts, son. Does that really need a philosopher? They're objects because we can perceive, and we can't perceive something with zero properties (even dark matter has some properties that we indirectly observe). Otherwise they'd just be noumena.

Wait a second. Didn't you just finish telling me that Hume's blank slate theory was BS, which it is?

I mean, I broke up with logic after I found the universe was apparently shaped like a donut.

All the bad signs were already there, but that was just the last straw...

Sorry, I don't respect philosophers that don't comfort me with tales of an afterlife in floaty heaven with the angels and space fairies.

Indeed. The house of Jesis had a lot of mansions... or something.

·
Registered
31,261 Posts
Uh, objects have properties by definition, duhurrr! Otherwise they be abstractions or concepts, son. Does that really need a philosopher? They're objects because we can perceive, and we can't perceive something with zero properties (even dark matter has some properties that we indirectly observe). Otherwise they'd just be noumena.

Wait a second. Didn't you just finish telling me that Hume's blank slate theory was BS, which it is?

I mean, I broke up with logic after I found the universe was apparently shaped like a donut.

Sorry, I don't respect philosophers that don't comfort me with tales of an afterlife in floaty heaven with the angels and space fairies.

I agree, the only valid knowledge comes from logic.
Cartoon Text Line art Font Black-and-white

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Actually spacetime is most likely flat due to Hubble's Law which was actually first created by George's Lemaitre (one of the floaty angel people) Hubble's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hehehe you said straw, as in what Thomas Aquinas called all his works. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
On a side note, am i the only one who wants to kill other people when depressed instead of wanting to kill myself?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts