Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my moods change from minute to minute. one second im feeling very intensly depressed, like theres no point in living and then the next minute i can be as happy as anything or at least pretend to be. literally just walking down a long block i can feel 5 different emotions. i dont know if im bi-polar i highly doubt it because im able to control the way i act very well, im also not very expressive so i guess that helps in hiding.

·
Registered
218 Posts
"My mood: stressed."

Anything going on recently that has you in a pickle?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Should work on relaxing first, see if that doesn't deal with the mood swings. Have a drink, read a book. Going for a walk not such a good idea for us, because once you start walking, you can't stop unless you turn around and that takes just as much time as it took to leave. Feels like a minor commitment. Take apart what's troubling you, decide what's actually worth worrying about, then either solve them or relax anyway.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should work on relaxing first, see if that doesn't deal with the mood swings. Have a drink, read a book. Going for a walk not such a good idea for us, because once you start walking, you can't stop unless you turn around and that takes just as much time as it took to leave. Feels like a minor commitment. Take apart what's troubling you, decide what's actually worth worrying about, then either solve them or relax anyway.
i find relaxing a waste of time. not that im anyone to talk, im the master of wasting time.. but wasting time stresses me out. see wat i mean :/

·
Registered
68 Posts
I understand what you mean with this - from what I've found in my own experience, the INFP habit of bottling things up can often cause them to be temperamental. Do you have anyone or anything - i.e. a diary - that you could share your stressed thoughts with? Even sharing things anonymously can often make a person feel a lot better; don't know why, it just does. I suffer from this a lot myself, so good luck with it. D:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand what you mean with this - from what I've found in my own experience, the INFP habit of bottling things up can often cause them to be temperamental. Do you have anyone or anything - i.e. a diary - that you could share your stressed thoughts with? Even sharing things anonymously can often make a person feel a lot better; don't know why, it just does. I suffer from this a lot myself, so good luck with it. D:
sharing doesnt seem to help me and ive had rly bad experiences with that. once when i opened up to someone about something private she screamed at me for complaining and told me that venting is not proactive. well i rly looked up to this person and it scarred me to the present. i dont like sharing my feelings, i dont like sympathy, i dont like pity.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ah, I'm sorry you've had such a negative experience there. :\ What about an artistic outlet? Maybe try drawing or writing out your thoughts? I often find that simply by writing things down it helps to organise them in my mind and give me a clearer vision. The best thing about those, too, is that you don't have to be afraid with what you share, or how good it is, since it's only you that will see them. Just trying to give ideas here, sorry if they sound a little scattered. xD

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, I'm sorry you've had such a negative experience there. :\ What about an artistic outlet? Maybe try drawing or writing out your thoughts? I often find that simply by writing things down it helps to organise them in my mind and give me a clearer vision. The best thing about those, too, is that you don't have to be afraid with what you share, or how good it is, since it's only you that will see them. Just trying to give ideas here, sorry if they sound a little scattered. xD
i do, i create music, i draw and i dance. but sometimes it just isnt enough. i rly dont know what to do anymore im so young and i already feel all of this and it hurts so much. what will i do with all the time ahead of me? it sounds very painful.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You're not Bi-Polar. I don't think that there is anything wrong with you. I think that you're just stressed out right now and don't know what to do or how to fix the situation. I went through a very similar phase a little while ago where I had moments of ups and downs, I even thought that I was Bi-Polar, but eventually I talked to someone about my situation and they helped me figure out what was wrong and I solved my problems. So try to figure out what's stressing you out and what's making you sad, and face it head on.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've gone through a similar phase before and I found that by observing my thoughts and remaining detached from my thought processes I was able to pinpoint a lot of the thoughts that were bringing about negative emotions. We have different layers of thoughts that are happening in our brain simultaneously at all times, and many times the more subtle ones can have a large impact on our emotions without us even realizing they exist. Many of our thoughts go on all day without us really acknowledging them, and they can have a huge impact on us. We think emotions are just happening spontaneously without reason because we aren't paying enough attention to the thoughts that are at their root. It's like a bad smell in a room, at first you will smell it, and then you look for it, and when you find it's cause you can get rid of it, but until you find the root of the smell you can't solve the problem. It is the same with these emotions... look for the root of their existence and then you can find out how to fix any problems you may be having.

Also, try a relaxation exercise, or perhaps learn Tai Chi or Qi Gong... we have various points on our bodies where tension builds very easily (the ankles, heels, soles of the feet, knees, the base of the perenium, the lower abdomen, the solar plexus, the center of the chest, the center of the throat, the area in between and just above the brows, and the crown of the head). Everyone tenses up in these areas while going about day to day activities... they are sort of a learned response, and the tension builds up over time. We can often mistake these tensions for negative emotions (especially in the solar plexus, for me that is where most of my tension builds, along with the knees) and they can also lead to actual negative emotions. By consciously relaxing these areas you can eliminate a LOT of negative feelings.... I can pm you a relaxation meditation to try if you would like.... I do it every day and it works wonders.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've gone through a similar phase before and I found that by observing my thoughts and remaining detached from my thought processes I was able to pinpoint a lot of the thoughts that were bringing about negative emotions. We have different layers of thoughts that are happening in our brain simultaneously at all times, and many times the more subtle ones can have a large impact on our emotions without us even realizing they exist. Many of our thoughts go on all day without us really acknowledging them, and they can have a huge impact on us. We think emotions are just happening spontaneously without reason because we aren't paying enough attention to the thoughts that are at their root. It's like a bad smell in a room, at first you will smell it, and then you look for it, and when you find it's cause you can get rid of it, but until you find the root of the smell you can't solve the problem. It is the same with these emotions... look for the root of their existence and then you can find out how to fix any problems you may be having.

Also, try a relaxation exercise, or perhaps learn Tai Chi or Qi Gong... we have various points on our bodies where tension builds very easily (the ankles, heels, soles of the feet, knees, the base of the perenium, the lower abdomen, the solar plexus, the center of the chest, the center of the throat, the area in between and just above the brows, and the crown of the head). Everyone tenses up in these areas while going about day to day activities... they are sort of a learned response, and the tension builds up over time. We can often mistake these tensions for negative emotions (especially in the solar plexus, for me that is where most of my tension builds, along with the knees) and they can also lead to actual negative emotions. By consciously relaxing these areas you can eliminate a LOT of negative feelings.... I can pm you a relaxation meditation to try if you would like.... I do it every day and it works wonders.
That would be great if you could, thanks!

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
higher you go, farther you fall. it's ok as long as you know what to act on and what not to; but if you want you could try to focus less on internal states and just be grounded in your body so your emotional impressions are given less validity and power over you, and instead you can just exist. if we are diggign around in our heads for our feeligns we can "intensify" them, if that makes sense, and I don't think it's always a good thing.

in other words, turn of your brainnnnnnn

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have to admit that as an INFP, I can get so emotional and thus depressed easily than most other Types, and sometimes I can get depressed, down, and sad, for no particular 'sensible' reasons.
But the upside is also that I can get so happy, excited (about this whole Life, world, even universe!) for no particular 'sensible' reasons as well!
perhaps it's because of our High Sensitivity, so we can notice many things that perhaps are 'hidden' from most 'normal' people (or other Types).

Also, this might be of good help/advices to type of people like us, who seems to depend a lot on the 'moods' and current 'emotions' :

Personal Growth Recommendations for Enneagram Type Fours

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
This is great advice.

Alexander Lowen, David Berceli, Peter Levine are great sources for understanding the relationship of tension and emotions - and for gaining practical exercises.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts