Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
We all have those people... I think. I really don't have much to say on the matter, but this got my attention:

3. I've met Christians and Atheists. Muslims and Buddhists. I've met people in between. I've met people in doubt of their faith, but trying to work it out. But with her…she considers herself a christian, even though she doesn't really believe in it. it just confuses me. I have christians friends who don't believe in everything they have to do, but they still do it more out of an obligation for their parents/community. they are struggling in working out their beliefs and finding where they stand. I also have christian friends who have broken away and just have said "i am atheist" and i respect both of these types, but with her, she says she is christian because her family is. She says she identifies heavily with being a christian, but she doesn't participate in anything, such as services or shows any outward sign of being christian or religious. she just seems to have no opinion about it. I work hard at not being judgmental, but it makes me seriously just think, WHAT THE HECK? if you're christian, at least represent the faith or be serious/sincere about it. If you're struggling with it, be real about it. If you're against it, be bold about it. But she has no thoughts on any of this and clearly shows she doesn't give a damn about anything. I don't understand how someone can "identify heavily" with being of ANY religion, but not really giving a damn about anything in it.
Jesus is actually on your side in this. Should you have a discussion with her about christianity again, you might want to refer her to Revelation 3:14-18:

14 "To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:
These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation. 15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17 You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.

·
Registered
151 Posts
We may love mankind, but still hate people :wink:
Honestly, the best thing would be to avoid the girl, at least for a while, but that is probably not an option.

It may sound as the girl is rather uncertain, maybe even a bit scared, but puts on a brash face just to hide it. Some people, when they really want to say "I am scared, will you help me" puts us off by acting too loud and proud.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
We may love mankind, but still hate people :wink:
hehe so true - sometimes I feel that I love groups of people over any one of the individuals that comprises the group, as spooky as that sounds

She just sounds fake. Something I think is very difficult to bear without clenching teeth a little is this fakeness some people exhibit, this pretense, this trying to fit in with others on surface level resulting in inherent hypocrisy in behavior, like her claims to be religious and her going for a degree for sole reason of prestige. Everybody does it to some extent, but for some people it seems to be their primary modus operandi.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
She sounds like your shadow type(ESXP?), and possibly an ennegram 3.

·
Registered
74 Posts
find myself forcing myself to stay there to be polite.
Stop it.

It's not your job to like everyone. It's good to meet people that irritate you. It proves that you're alive, you think for yourself and you know what you like.

Don't be a bitch to her now or anything like that, because two wrongs never make a right. But distance yourself.

P.S. I would hate her too. :wink:

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes, i wrote in my OP that i don't intend to treat her any differently, but keep friendly relations with her. i still need to vent on here though (if u guys dont mind lol)

it does remind me that i am alive and have values that define who i am. it is a reminder i needed because lately i have been feeling numb. and it helps to know that i DO have strong feelings and values that dont like to be violated

1 - 12 of 12 Posts