Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what kind of careers fellow ENFPs have and how your personality helps/hinders them, and also what your dream job or future plans are if they are different from what you're currently doing?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I'm currently a student doing Sociology. I've worked in a variety of jobs though- charity fundraising, social care, shops, catering, labouring, etc. any student job and i've done it. Part of the reason why i've done so many is to experience them and find out more about myself and what i want from a job.

This is some of the stuff i've discovered about myself..
-I'm not the best at common sense with physical things, but i'm good at customer service and i know how to adapt to different personalities and environments (makes sense considering my experiences). It takes me longer than the average person to get the knack of screwing a nail somewhere for example.
-I like jobs that are both fast-paced and filled with variety- a psychology lecturer once told me a possible reason i procrastinate is because i like the adrenaline of being under pressure- that's what i'm like at work, i like pressure (although i can't stand too much negativity). I quite like rushed service waiting at restaurants for example.
-I need to have a creative outlet at work, and i like it when people expect things of my ability to reason things out for myself.
-I hate jobs that require direct manipulation, which is why i will be staying clear of sales.
-I much prefer to lead, particularly when creativity is required.

For me, i consider my adaptability, my creativity and my interactive skills/empathy/psychology to be my biggest strengths, so that's playing a big part in how i'm considering my future career. My plan is to get a masters in marketing and move into advertising in a creative capacity. Networking, creative input and psychological skills are the things i think i'd relish about that.

My ultimate dream is to be a film producer; a film producer takes care of all the facets of a movie in production- the casting, the appointments, the deadlines, the logistics, the marketing, being on set to make sure everything runs, etc. the list goes on. That kind of variety and creative ability is my dream. Unfortunately, since i'm 21 and i've been in two plays, and no experience beyond that, i would be at a disadvantage going into an extremely competitive field. My plan is to gain experience in advertising to give me an edge, complete a film course later in life (talking 30s) and eventually try to push my way into producing any way i can. if not, a successful advertising career would be a pretty nice consolation :wink:

·
Registered
825 Posts
Just wondering what kind of careers fellow ENFPs have and how your personality helps/hinders them, and also what your dream job or future plans are if they are different from what you're currently doing?
Current Career: Part-Time Web Developer, Full-Time Grad Student (Computer Science)
Dream Job: Software Engineer/Architect and then Product/Project Manager/Consultant

Cons:
My personality type hinders me in that my technical ability isn't *the best*, but I am able to keep up with my more brilliant coworkers.. Just not as thorough or detailed or knowledgeable of facts as others in my field.

I'm also more interested in exercising my creativity than being stuck with boring, mundane projects, so if I get a really repetitive task, it can be really tough for me to finish the task quickly because I won't have enough enthusiasm for it. (It's boring, but necessary!)

I really, really don't like being micromanaged. Especially when I already finished their tasks, sent emails, wrote documentation and followed up with every avenue of communication.

I also really don't like being managed by incompetent people or managers who don't have experience or expertise (aka the role was "given" to them).. especially when I know I can manage people better than they can.. I'm just waiting to finish school and earn my degree in software engineering to work full-time to have that ability.

Pros:
It helps that my enthusiasm for learning new material is strong. :D Senior developers like to work with me because I like to listen and take a good apprentice role. Other workers tend to think they're always right, but I like to keep an open mind when learning from my superiors' experiences and knowledge, and they seem to appreciate it in return. :)

I'm a pretty good team player. I love learning about all my coworkers abilities and strengths.

I'm also able to wear multiple hats, as I have experience in Internet Marketing and Quality Assurance as well.

Overall:
Although I won't be have the technical expertise as my fellow software engineers (there's always always someone better than you in this industry), I have such a great interest in all my coworkers, the vision of the company and serving the company, that I would love to be in management eventually.

I'm just taking the long route to become a project manager because of school. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
-I'm not the best at common sense with physical things, but i'm good at customer service and i know how to adapt to different personalities and environments (makes sense considering my experiences). It takes me longer than the average person to get the knack of screwing a nail somewhere for example.
-I like jobs that are both fast-paced and filled with variety- a psychology lecturer once told me a possible reason i procrastinate is because i like the adrenaline of being under pressure- that's what i'm like at work, i like pressure (although i can't stand too much negativity). I quite like rushed service waiting at restaurants for example.
-I need to have a creative outlet at work, and i like it when people expect things of my ability to reason things out for myself.
These both sound a lot like myself, too. I've always liked the pressure of working at a fast-paced job, it can be exciting. I've done my fair share of waiting tables, that's for sure!

My plan is to get a masters in marketing and move into advertising in a creative capacity.
This is actually what I do! I have no master's degree, but two bachelor's, one in business and one in sociology and I'm in marketing in the health & wellness industry. I love it for the same reasons you mentioned, fast-paced, creative and people-oriented. Looks like we have a lot of similarities!

My ultimate dream is to be a film producer; a film producer takes care of all the facets of a movie in production- the casting, the appointments, the deadlines, the logistics, the marketing, being on set to make sure everything runs, etc. the list goes on. That kind of variety and creative ability is my dream.
Sooooo awesome. You're still very young, so I'm sure you have plenty of time to get the experience you need, but my advice would be to get into as many college extra curricular as you can and take on some sort of planning or directive role. I wish you the best of luck! You sound super cool!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey guys, just thought I'd offer you some thoughts on your dream jobs, since I'm almost 30 and have seen myself and my ENFP friends go through a bazillion jobs.

ENFPs are NOT particularly well-suited to being Producers (sorry Tridentus!). My sister is a PA (Producers Assistant) for an indie studio and an ISTJ. The BIG part of a producer's job is keeping everything on budget and on schedule. You're a whip-snapper. She loves it. You will be competing against a lot of people like her in the film industry who are extremely well-organized, are ok with getting yelled at 24/7, and need to cater to often impossible demands.

Ahiko, I have 2 friends, one a consultant and the other a project manager, who both love their jobs. The project manager is not an ENFP. My best guess is that he's an ESTP/J. He is one of the best project managers I have ever seen in my life. He is so thorough in organizing things that he has an Excel or Powerpoint sheet for everything he does, even his vacations! What's ironic is that he's terrible at organizing some other facets of his life, like his relationships (forgetting anniversaries, girlfriend's birthdays, etc.) But being a project manager is 99% about organization. A lot of ENFPs struggle with this on a day to day basis, so that's why I'm always hesitant about recommending it.

My friend the consultant, on the other hand, is an ENFP and very good at what he does. He works for one of the big management consulting firms (McKinsey/Bain/BCG). His area is green technology (LEED) and he travels to Europe a lot. Now he has a fiancee and prefers not to travel for work, but still enjoys his job. I think consulting is a very good area for most ENFPs if you are able to discipline yourself a little bit.

When considering dream jobs, the most important question to ask is not, "will I like it?" but "do i love this enough that i'm willing to put up with all the bullshit that comes with it?" if yes, then perhaps you're on the right track after all...

·
Registered
825 Posts
@GhostofRC Thanks for the awesome response!

Ahiko, I have 2 friends, one a consultant and the other a project manager, who both love their jobs. The project manager is not an ENFP. My best guess is that he's an ESTP/J. He is one of the best project managers I have ever seen in my life. He is so thorough in organizing things that he has an Excel or Powerpoint sheet for everything he does, even his vacations! What's ironic is that he's terrible at organizing some other facets of his life, like his relationships (forgetting anniversaries, girlfriend's birthdays, etc.) But being a project manager is 99% about organization. A lot of ENFPs struggle with this on a day to day basis, so that's why I'm always hesitant about recommending it.
I might have hit my head along the way as an ENFP, but in the work place (especially a leadership position), I'm super extremely OCD and my organization skills even scare me some times. I ended up being the president of my sorority after being with them for 4 years and I was obsessed planning everything, even to the point of micromanaging my members. I like to approach things by taking my time to learn everything about the system by going up the ladder. That's how I build my confidence. I do tend to crack under pressure when things don't go as expected, but I'm also very good at improvising.

I like the aspect of managing people because I like setting the example and leading people. I feel like the best leaders are the ones who challenge people to be better. I also feel like they should also be fairly competent in what they're managing. I've run into managers who have no idea what they're doing and it's really hard for me to have respect or trust their guidance. If I ever go down the management route, I want to make sure I'm capable and competent, to help with gaining trust credibility for my skills.

I still have the typical ENFP messiness at home. :( Sometimes I pour all my energy into work that I forget things like that.

But my work ethic has made me question at times if I really was an ENFP. I have a friend who's said that I seem to be very strong with T, but I thought organization was a J thing? :)

My friend the consultant, on the other hand, is an ENFP and very good at what he does. He works for one of the big management consulting firms (McKinsey/Bain/BCG). His area is green technology (LEED) and he travels to Europe a lot. Now he has a fiancee and prefers not to travel for work, but still enjoys his job. I think consulting is a very good area for most ENFPs if you are able to discipline yourself a little bit.
My boss is a consultant as well and it seems like something I would enjoy. Again, I'd want to be at least proficient at being able to consult people, otherwise I wouldn't step up until I do feel like I'm ready.

What would you suggest ENFPs "discipline" themselves by?

When considering dream jobs, the most important question to ask is not, "will I like it?" but "do i love this enough that i'm willing to put up with all the bullshit that comes with it?" if yes, then perhaps you're on the right track after all...
So far I like the industry. I like the variety of roles and have taken on several different hats in it so far. There are some things I don't agree with management, though, but I'm willing to put up with it. :)

As long as gender discrimination doesn't come at me, I'll be able to stand my ground pretty well. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
What would you suggest ENFPs "discipline" themselves by?
Our biggest weakness is failing to follow things through to the end. We often go 80, 90% of the way only to give up or lose interest when we're so close to finishing. Discipline is using your mental willpower to push through to completion. There are times when you feel like nobody around you cares about what you do or that nobody's watching. This is when you have to dig deep within yourself and find a reason to keep pushing.

There's no "best way" of learning to acquire stronger discipline. It's a daily struggle. But a quote I recently heard regarding habits that I quite like goes, "A 100% commitment is often easier than 99%." If you force yourself to have good habits all the time, it'll become a more natural part of yourself.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I work in marketing, but a few years back when you asked me what my dream job would be, you'd get a different answer depending on how I felt at the moment.

I have realized in the last couple of years, that I lose hours when I'm writing. So you'd think that would be it, except that it's a solitary pursuit which would drive me crazy day after day.

How about a travel writer? That would be a great job for an ENFP. Everything constantly changes and you're always seeing something different. ; )

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I am among the mature ENFP´s in this forum.

After graduating from medical school I have worked as a physician for the last 10 years. Mostly within clinical work but last year I have been doing some travel (which has been great) and tried to work in more of a coordinating role.

I think not many ENFP´s can sustain too long with the kind of containment a strict detailed and micro managed work environment demands. At least not without stepping into the shadow and let those functions take over. I also do not see us as the "company people" because we challenge status quo instead of striving to push through company procedure.

Dream job: Could I take over for Bono? Otherwise traveling, meeting people and being allowed to come up with creative solutions. I would also like to try job rotations.

Reactions: Cher Zee and Ahiko

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Just found this and it sums it up very well!

ENFPs do not like bureaucracy or rules and regulations and they will argue long and eloquently defending their reasons. They are quick and nimble, working in short bursts of energy and need flexibility.

ENFPs need variety, stimulus and to be surrounded by people. Solitary tasks, targets, repetition, formal structures or hierarchy don’t suit, as they work best in a flexible workplace where relationships are valued.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.