Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been done to death before, but I'm truly interested where everyone's life paths have taken them career-wise.

I moved around a lot in my 20's, (interpreter, teaching paraprofessional, HR) but finally settled on fitness coach in a location where I can empower women. I love to exercise for the psychological and physical benefits, but I also really love helping another person to develop their self worth. It's not really about the weight loss and looking good, which is nice, but more about helping others to figure out why they are abusing their bodies and how to love themselves. It's a great job.

As I don't make very much money doing this, part of me also wants to moonlight as an app developer or computer programmer. Which is probably a weird job for an INFP, but I don't really care. I'd love the intellectual challenge, and from what I've already studied from languages like Swift and JavaScript, they're pretty easy. I'm afraid, however, that I might go a little crazy with it sometimes and have to go outside and paint a picture or something. Haha.

So I guess my questions are- what do you do? Is it a technical job or more related to humanities? Do you like it? If not, what do you wish you were doing instead?

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,660 Posts
Your job is AMAZING, @Raconteur!!! And so is your dream job :)

Don't worry about overdoing the "dream job" theme because mine changes often!

I'm about to graduate and be a band director at a school somewhere. I'll teach the chillens music and stuff. I'm very good at it—musically inclined and a calmly inspiring teacher persona. As for what I wish I was doing, I wish I was really passing along musical values, the way I would with my own children.

My dream job is for me to live life in a pastoral sense and also like a scientific explorer. Naturally, this includes a big area of unimproved land and a chicken farm. The chickens would be very healthy because I would help them to live a natural life. They would produce good eggs that I could eat and sell. Eggs are like animal fruit. It would be for enjoyment rather than profit.

But the best job, and the one that I'll never be able to do, is write and perform educational songs for children across mass media. Like the good children's shows, like the educational songs that go along with kids computer games, like a parent singing a song to their child. I'd love to sing and dance and transmit folksong and culture. Some people I know, their parents never sang songs to them! Their parents didn't even read to them!! And they don't understand why it grieves me. I don't even understand why it grieves me.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,623 Posts
Fashion designer although there is a lot more competition out there. I heard some advice for those who are confused about which path to take if you have a lot of interests, is to simply choose the one you are best at, you are more liklier to succeed.
A close second might be something like illustration or research.

When I was much younger, things like acting, dance, radio were very appealing but when it came to actually performing, I couldn't often relax and be natural about it, was way too self conscious.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I always wanted to be a professional billiards player. Back in my 20's and 30's I was pretty good. I hated talking to people but I loved pacing around the table, planning the next 5 or 6 shots ahead. I miss it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Since I was a kid I've wanted to be a writer. I was a huge bookworm when I was little (unfortunately I don't have the time to do it so much anymore) but as I've got older I've found my niche - I want to be a screenwriter, with the hope of writing books later on in life, when I have a bit more life experience.

However, a dream I've had since I was about 11 or 12 is that I'd love to be an actress. I really enjoyed drama when I was at school and I was good at it, and I loved getting immersed into the world of my character and taking on whole new personality traits. Even though I'm an introvert, something about performing is so therapeutic to me.

I do a lot of screenwriting in my spare time, most of which is rubbish and will never be read by another person but I love creating different characters for me to play. Mostly I just play them in my head because I know the prospect of actually getting to play them or becoming an actress at all is very unlikely, but it's fun to fantasise.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Realistically I like the job I have now (elementary teacher, currently subbing).

If money was no object, I would try something more creative. Maybe become an artist. Or try to become a pro golfer (maybe even teach in that realm). Maybe get a reading/math endorsement and work part-time in schools in a small group format.

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
A renaissance man of entertainment, particularly the genres of entertainment I enjoy the most.

·
Premium Member
15,291 Posts
I don't work, retired, but if I did:

1. Bookstore (just like Meg Ryan's in You Got Mail).

2. Work at home doing anything to avoid people and bosses.

3. Write a book, become rich like that Harry Potter author (forgot her name) :wink:.

·
Registered
29 Posts
About my dream job... for the past few years I am really interested to be a songwriter. Gosh, I think I have been interested on performing arts (songwriting, scriptwriting, acting) since I was a kid. I kinda regretted it that I have never really learned it and had proper basics on those subjects. Back then I didn't even know that such careers exist :( I'm in my mid 20s now.

Still, I guess it's never too late to pursue our dreams! :proud:

As I don't make very much money doing this, part of me also wants to moonlight as an app developer or computer programmer. Which is probably a weird job for an INFP, but I don't really care. I'd love the intellectual challenge, and from what I've already studied from languages like Swift and JavaScript, they're pretty easy. I'm afraid, however, that I might go a little crazy with it sometimes and have to go outside and paint a picture or something. Haha.
I don't think it's weird at all. I read that INFPs are good at learning foreign languages, and I believe that include programming languages too :p

My current job is actually web programming! I'm more into frontend works (Javascript, HTML, CSS). Sure it's technical but I write programs that solve human problems, and my deal is making web sites that are not only functional but also pretty and pleasing to use. And I really like that. My manager said that it is hard to find someone who works like me, because most programmers he knows are good at hard logics, but mostly are not into user interface or aesthetic part of the programs. I guess that can be attributed as our INFP's strength in technical areas.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd love it if I could be a monk working in a scriptorium as they did in the Middle Ages. Since that is impossible, I've studied to be a translator... but it's not all that easy to be a freelancer

·
Registered
290 Posts
My current job is as a web coordinator, and I like it a lot more than I expected I would, because it can be very detail-oriented at times. Dream job would be to do nonprofit work overseas in a creative role such as writing/marketing for the organization. And be a bestselling author on the side.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
A Tasha Tudor life. Housewife + illustrator + bottany/herbology.

I also make crafts, so I would add craft-maker into the mix. Also a bookstore would be awesome.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts