Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is sorta kinda the sibling to the what's your favorite book thread. For me, one of my favorite movies is Watchmen. I know it's looooooooooooooooooooong, but I love the characters, their philosophies, and how they are in conflict with one another. If you have the chance too, the graphic novel it's based off of is great. AND I LIKE THE MATRIX TOO! Crazy metaphor for faulty perception anyone? I like the idea that what you see might not be reality. The fight scenes are obviously epic too =)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I enjoyed Watchmen as well. I am a fan of Alan Moore, though I have not yet gotten around to reading the graphic novel. I enjoyed the first Matrix film as well- nice illustration of Plato's Allegory of the Cave, as well as themes in various philosophical and religious systems. Have you seen Dark City? I did not enjoy it quite as much as the Matrix, but definitely worth a watch. Little bit Matrix, little bit City of Lost Children.

My favorite is Harold and Maude, and has been since I first saw it at eighteen. It definitely had an impact on my world view. I heartily recommend it.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I enjoyed Watchmen as well. I am a fan of Alan Moore, though I have not yet gotten around to reading the graphic novel. I enjoyed the first Matrix film as well- nice illustration of Plato's Allegory of the Cave, as well as themes in various philosophical and religious systems. Have you seen Dark City? I did not enjoy it quite as much as the Matrix, but definitely worth a watch. Little bit Matrix, little bit City of Lost Children.

My favorite is Harold and Maude, and has been since I first saw it at eighteen. It definitely had an impact on my world view. I heartily recommend it.
I haven't seen dark city, but if it's anything like the matrix then I definitely want to look into it. I've heard of Harold and Maude and that it's a classic, but I have no idea what it's about so ill have to look up that too. And speaking of crazy movies, I completely forgot about Donnie Darko. It's a movie with Jake Gylenhaal in it about wormholes and all kinds of weirdness.

·
Registered
385 Posts

Ah Harold and Maude ( to all and sundry if you have not seen that movie, see it! ), a fine,fine choice,I love those great films from the mid 60's to mid 70's like that and well just the sort of films hollywood lost the guts to make long ago,what a great period in film making that was!
My personal choice and I might have mentioned it in another thread somewhere else is Chinatown, a wonderful and granted very bleak film about the dark nature of the corruption of the powerful and a film filled with bitter irony and symbolism.I went threw a particularly painful time in my life where I watched that movie every single night for a few months!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Dr. Strangelove: Or How I learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb

I think that's one of the greatest films ever made in cinema. I own it on DVD and in February, I had the opportunity to watch it in an actual movie theater. It was even better on the big screen. :tongue:

·
Registered
101 Posts
The Princess Bride! Seriously know it by heart! Even after all that I've lived through, I can't give up on true love...

"Death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for awhile."

LOVE IT!!!

I took fencing at school because i wanted to be Westley :)

@HorribleAesthete I've got Harold and Maude and have had it for a while... i may just get round to watching it soon

Amelie,
Its a Wonderful Life
Harvey
Withnail and I (although i haven't seen it in many years)

... (maybe edited later)

·
Registered
406 Posts
The Silence of the Lambs

Anthony Hopkins' performance is extraordinary.

And who woulda thunk it? Serial killers dig Bach? Or maybe it's a taste reserved for sophisticated, cultured cannibals.

Now that I think about it, herein lies the beauty and potency of Hannibal Lecter, I think:

On the surface, he appears placid—simply another man, albeit uncommonly decorous in aspect . . . even genteel. But beneath this veneer lies a killer as cold-blooded as every archetypal sociopath who precedes him. Truly disturbing . . . a brilliant appeal to the audience's sense of consonance (or dissonance, as it were).

To anyone familiar with the books, the effect of this affective mismatch is even more chilling and pronounced; horror and revulsion mingle with discordant empathy at the tragedy of his character—a scintillating mind driven to disintegration and depravity—the irredeemable product of a tortured upbringing.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I barely watch movies, but I enjoyed:

Limitless
Good Will Hunting
Leon: The Professional
Donnie Darko
The Runaways
Crash
Titanic
What Dreams May Come

Hmm, I can't think of much more.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I'll fly my nerd colors proudly here. Empire Strikes Back is easily my favorite movie. For me, I think it was the perfect sequel and it's something I'll always make time to watch.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Prometheus re-ignited my interest in the Alien franchise. That deserves a mention.

I recently watched Monsters. It's slow-paced at first but it sort of comes together during the beautiful and rather touching ending scene.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was cool. I prefer Jim Carrey in serious roles. I quite liked The Truman Show too.

Also, I'll throw Inception in there. I did enjoy it.

I wish I could mention a horror movie but sadly I've yet to experience a decent one.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Nightmare Before Christmas - it just is my favorite.
I was obsessed as a little kid! Had all the toys and everything. Except I was terrified of the boogeyman o_O

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Prometheus re-ignited my interest in the Alien franchise. That deserves a mention.
I have been looking forward to this film for quite some time. I am thinking of taking the bus into the city (two hours each way) to watch this (despite somewhat mixed reviews).

I recently watched Monsters. It's slow-paced at first but it sort of comes together during the beautiful and rather touching ending scene.
I also enjoyed Monsters. Definitely a bit slow, but I agree that the ending is wonderful.

I wish I could mention a horror movie but sadly I've yet to experience a decent one.
It is rather difficult to find a decent horror flick. I am a fan of the genre, but I do like my films, even horror films, well done. I will recommend a few I enjoyed, and that I feel transcend the genre.

1. 28 Days Later
One of my top ten films, easily. I love zombie films, even bad ones (though this one is quite well done). I suppose technically it is not a zombie film, but I think it has enough of the elements to qualify.

2. The Descent

3. Night of the Living Dead
The original zombie flick, and still one of the best.

4. The Blair Witch Project
Not to everyone's taste, but I feel it is a masterpiece of what can be accomplished on a low budget. I was skeptical at first, but it was real enough and good enough to pull me in and keep me there. I definitely prefer its subtle verisimilitude to all the campy, unbelievable horror movies in the world.

5. Carrie
Freaked me out as a kid, and still holds up (I think).

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I have been looking forward to this film for quite some time. I am thinking of taking the bus into the city (two hours each way) to watch this (despite somewhat mixed reviews).

I also enjoyed Monsters. Definitely a bit slow, but I agree that the ending is wonderful.

It is rather difficult to find a decent horror flick. I am a fan of the genre, but I do like my films, even horror films, well done. I will recommend a few I enjoyed, and that I feel transcend the genre.

1. 28 Days Later
One of my top ten films, easily. I love zombie films, even bad ones (though this one is quite well done). I suppose technically it is not a zombie film, but I think it has enough of the elements to qualify.

2. The Descent

3. Night of the Living Dead
The original zombie flick, and still one of the best.

4. The Blair Witch Project
Not to everyone's taste, but I feel it is a masterpiece of what can be accomplished on a low budget. I was skeptical at first, but it was real enough and good enough to pull me in and keep me there. I definitely prefer its subtle verisimilitude to all the campy, unbelievable horror movies in the world.

5. Carrie
Freaked me out as a kid, and still holds up (I think).
I saw it in 3D and thoroughly enjoyed it. The reviews are indeed mixed but in that case I think its best to just watch it and judge for yourself. It depends on your taste and what frame of mind you approach it with.

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't seen any of those =]

1 - 20 of 61 Posts