Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just learned about this in my psychology class.
The three types are:
-Narcissistic
-Obsessive
-Erotic

"While Freud recognized that there are an almost infinite variety of personalities, he identified three main types: erotic, obsessive, and narcissistic. Most of us have elements of all three. We are all, for example, somewhat narcissistic. If that were not so, we would not be able to survive or assert our needs. The point is, one of the dynamic tendencies usually dominates the others, making each of us react differently to success and failure.

Freud’s definitions of these three personality types differed over time. When talking about the erotic personality type, however, he generally did not mean sexual personality but rather one for whom loving and above all being loved is most important. This type of individual is dependent on those people they fear will stop loving them. Many erotics are teachers, nurses, and social workers. At their most productive, they are developers of the young as well as enablers and helpers at work. As managers, they are caring and supportive, but they avoid conflict and make people dependent on them. They are, according to Freud, outer directed people.

Obsessives, in contrast, are “inner directed.” They are self-reliant and conscientious. They create and maintain order and make the most effective operational managers. They look constantly for ways to help people listen better, resolve conflict, and find win-win opportunities. They buy self-improvement books such as Steven Covey’s The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Obsessives are also ruled by a strict conscience—they like to focus on continuous improvement at work because it fits in with their sense of moral improvement. As entrepreneurs, obsessives start businesses that express their values, but they lack the vision, daring, and charisma it takes to turn a good idea into a great one. The best obsessives set high standards and communicate very effectively. They make sure that instructions are followed and costs are kept within budget. The most productive are great mentors and team players. The unproductive and the uncooperative become narrow experts and rule-bound bureaucrats.

Narcissists, the third type, are independent and not easily impressed. They are the innovators, driven in business to gain power and glory. Productive narcissists are experts in their industries, but they go beyond it. They also pose the critical questions. They want to learn everything about everything that affects the company and its products. Unlike erotics, they want to be admired, not loved. And unlike obsessives, they are not troubled by a punishing superego, so they are able to be very aggressive in pursuit of their goals. Of all the personality types, narcissists run the greatest risk of isolating themselves at the moment of success. And because of their independence and aggressiveness, they are constantly looking out for enemies, sometimes degenerating into paranoia when they are under extreme stress. (For more on personality types, see “Fromm’s Fourth Personality Type.”)"

http://www.maccoby.com/Articles/NarLeaders.shtml

In class, we had to decide which one we fit the best. I don't think I'm any of these, and none of them make me think of INTPs in the least. Although, if I had to choose a category for myself, it would be erotic.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
Narcissistic BIGTIME.

I don't have anything like NPD but I've had to fight narcisstic tendencies all my life.

It's strange because I'm nothing like the real narcissists I've seen but still, I somehow think I'm better than other people by default.

I guess a major difference is that a true narcissist doesn't question it.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
This is sort of like that question "So when did you stop beating your wife...?"

I relate to this, or at least, aspire to it:

Productive narcissists are experts in their industries, but they go beyond it. They also pose the critical questions. They want to learn everything about everything that affects the company and its products.
But not so much the rest of it.

There's a whole lot of ground not being covered by these categories, and a whole lot of potential overlap.

For example, I'd say most of the teachers I've known were some combination of erotic and narcissistic.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't really expect INTPs to fit the narcissistic category. Goals? Aggressiveness? Enemies? I always saw INTPs as typically agreeable and also not very focused.

Highlighted are the things I don't relate to in the narcissistic category:
"Narcissists, the third type, are independent and not easily impressed. They are the innovators, driven in business to gain power and glory. Productive narcissists are experts in their industries, but they go beyond it. They also pose the critical questions. They want to learn everything about everything that affects the company and its products. Unlike erotics, they want to be admired, not loved. And unlike obsessives, they are not troubled by a punishing superego, so they are able to be very aggressive in pursuit of their goals. Of all the personality types, narcissists run the greatest risk of isolating themselves at the moment of success. And because of their independence and aggressiveness, they are constantly looking out for enemies, sometimes degenerating into paranoia when they are under extreme stress."

It all sounds kind of enneagram type 3 to me.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
I wouldn't really expect INTPs to fit the narcissistic category. Goals? Aggressiveness? Enemies? I always saw INTPs as typically agreeable and also not very focused.

Highlighted are the things I don't relate to in the narcissistic category:
"Narcissists, the third type, are independent and not easily impressed. They are the innovators, driven in business to gain power and glory. Productive narcissists are experts in their industries, but they go beyond it. They also pose the critical questions. They want to learn everything about everything that affects the company and its products. Unlike erotics, they want to be admired, not loved. And unlike obsessives, they are not troubled by a punishing superego, so they are able to be very aggressive in pursuit of their goals. Of all the personality types, narcissists run the greatest risk of isolating themselves at the moment of success. And because of their independence and aggressiveness, they are constantly looking out for enemies, sometimes degenerating into paranoia when they are under extreme stress."

It all sounds kind of enneagram type 3 to me.
Sounds type 8ish, as well.

Problem with this way of thinking is that people can be narcissistic about anything. It doesn't have to be "glory", or "power"... you can be narcissistic about "love" (check the diagnostic criteria), about "smarts", about "authenticity" (INTPs, cough...) about "morality"...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Without a doubt narcissistic. I project extreme modesty so as to help people be at ease, but deep down, I KNOW myself to be better than Joe Six-Pack. I don't really need love, though I like it when people admire (and are inspired by) me. Additionally, I'm terrible at keeping order.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I don't really fit with any of these, but I am some weird mix between narcissistic and erotic. My emotions are a one way street and I'm not sure why. It bothers me if I think people dislike/hate me, yet I can be very critical. The only thing with narcissistic is that I'm not all that aggressive. I like success like the next guy, but when dealing with people, I don't just want to push them out of the way. The reasoning loops back to erotic. Heh, I guess with a little thought, it does make a little sense. If I don't directly deal with the people, I can make the unemotional decisions, but geez....social interaction gets me every time.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'm a mixture of both.
Obsessive could be dominant for me, but I'm not a team player.
Erotic works... but it plays second fiddle to Narcissistic more often than not. So... it's a toss up between those two.

EDIT:
Nope... I take it back.
Definitely an Erotic.
I'd much rather be loved than admired.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It's somewhere between Narcissist and the Obsessive, if I had to choose. Though, like you said, they are rather..unfitting to describe one as a whole. Or me, at least.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Huh.... Narcissistic for me.
Although, none of them really fit. I guess that goes back to the part where we're all a mix of these. I suppose the hypothetically perfect person would be some sort of even mixture of the three.
However, unless the "power and glory" I desire is the power to sit around in my bedroom and do INTP-ish things all day, I'm just barely narcissistic. Although, I'm really nothing from the other two types. And I've had enough of admiration, I want a freaking connection with someone who's awesome and beautifully flawed at the same time and for them to like me as I am, this really weird and imperfect and hyper and maybe awesome person that I am. Admiration gets really old after a while, and I guess some of the internal conflict would be that I'm supposed to "like it." And that was my two cents on why I don't really relate to all of the Narcissistic profile.
But I bear no relation to the obsessive type profile. It sounds like my mom.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts