Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
17,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much earlier do you wake up to accommodate time for make up?
What do you use? Is lipstick only a special occasion thing?
Do you mix it up much or have a set standard for the everyday?
How much does it eat into your budget? How often do you have to replace items?

Elaborate...

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I only use a little face powder , rouge and mascara. I don't have money or time to wear too much make-up .

Reactions: Wellsy

·
Banned
1,309 Posts

Elaborate...
I only wear makeup on days when I feel like it. If I don't want to wake up earlier to do it, I don't. My makeup takes me about 20-30 minutes to do on a heavier-makeup day, could be down to 5 or 10 on a lighter one.

I generally use BB cream, powder, eyelid primer (then eyeshadow), eyeliner, then mascara and lipgloss. Lipstick is kind of unusual for me because I feel that it's harder to keep on than lipgloss. If I don't want to do this whole routine, I sometimes just skip out on steps (for example, some days I just do mascara and gloss, etc). So yeah, I mix it up a lot :laughing: Usually I use light purple eyeshadow because it looks good on my eyes, but other times I like to try on different looks.

It shouldn't eat into my budget too much because I don't wear it daily, so almost nothing ever runs out besides mascara (which dries up) and eyeliner. I sometimes buy new makeup because I feel like it and it's fun, and that's the costly part. If I didn't do that it'd cost almost nothing.

·
Registered
797 Posts
BB cream, a little liquid foundation, brow liner, eye liner, face powder, lip balm, lip and cheek tint. Then I curl my lashes. It's a five minute routine that does the trick on most days; my sister or friends like to do my makeup on special occasions. Also, I tend to get sweaty during the day, so less stuff on my face works better.

I only buy one of each product, probably every 3-6 months or when they run out. All of the are colors close to my natural coloring (black hair, black eyes, rather pale skin which tends to flush pink to red). I tend to shop from Korean or Japanese brands, because most Western or Filipino ones cause me to break out really bad D:

I wear makeup primarily for personal aesthetics, wanting to have this certain look that appeals to me, rather than to attract people. (Though I don't deny that it can be used that way.)

(Which brings me to this question: Is there a particular reason this thread is in the S&R board, rather in the Trends board? @Wellsy)

·
Registered
17,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
(Which brings me to this question: Is there a particular reason this thread is in the S&R board, rather in the Trends board? @Wellsy)
Forgot there was such a subforum XD Since I don't frequent it, blame it on it being late and I being tired.
On the positive side I see it getting my traffic in this subforum, could relate it in terms of make up being an aspect of sex appeal XD
I had initially thought to make a thread based on songs of men telling women that their natural beauty is their appeal despite the fact most men rarely see nor compliment women without make up, but then scrapped that and just took interest in the process.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
My longest makeup routine is liquid foundation + setting powder, brow pencil, eye shadow, eye liner, and lip-liner/lipstick -- all pretty low-key/natural colors, so it doesn't look like as much as it sounds. Occasionally I'll add mascara, but it doesn't do much for me. Despite all this, I only spend about 10-15 minutes on it.

My shortest makeup routine (and the more typical)? Maybe a little eyeshadow + eyeliner. Eyeliner is my makeup item of choice if I have to put on just one thing. Eyeliner makes a huge difference for me in how I look. Also, it's good to just have one item you focus on (eyes or lips) -- you don't do much with the other or keep it pretty low-key. I used to use a pencil, and I've tried liquid liner (you have to have a steady hand); right now I use a liner pot with a stiff thin brush to apply it, and I can get a sharper line and more control.

I've managed to find fairly inexpensive product (compared to the high-end name brand stuff) that does a good job. I have MAC lipstick (because it tends to stay on my lips throughout the day) and lipliner, and I do have an eyeliner smudge pencil from Urban Decay ($22), but the bulk of my stuff is 40-50% of that price.

At times I will try something new -- like plum or deep red lipstick (I don't usually focus on lips) on a Saturday night outing. But I'm usually just pretty basic. I think it's kind of fun to play with, from an artistic POV, but I've usually got other things I'd rather be doing.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

If I want to put on makeup without having to rush it to not be late to class, I usually save about 20 minutes for my routine. But sometimes I'm just lazy and I don't wear any.

If I put on makeup I always wear mascara, and I like to add eyeliner on my eyelids as well as some eyeshadow. I wear lipstick yes, it's only a special occasion if it's a more visible shade, like red. On a regular day basis I use discrete but nice shades of light brown.

I have a set standard that I don't change, yes. It's a good look for going to class, natural, keeping a winning recipe.

No idea. I spend enough to have quality products, but not insanely expensive ones, and they last long, we're speaking in months here.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Forgot there was such a subforum XD Since I don't frequent it, blame it on it being late and I being tired.
On the positive side I see it getting my traffic in this subforum, could relate it in terms of make up being an aspect of sex appeal XD
I had initially thought to make a thread based on songs of men telling women that their natural beauty is their appeal despite the fact most men rarely see nor compliment women without make up, but then scrapped that and just took interest in the process.
I'm intrigued by the entire back story of this thread ^^

It's interesting being asked about the process of putting on makeup, rather than it being dismissed as either frivolous or attention-seeking behavior. An awareness thing of sorts?

Reactions: Wellsy and cricket

·
Registered
17,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm intrigued by the entire back story of this thread ^^

It's interesting being asked about the process of putting on makeup, rather than it being dismissed as either frivolous or attention-seeking behavior. An awareness thing of sorts?
Well this was what I read when I considered such a thread.
Why praising 'natural' beauty is a farce

As to the latter, I think it best to not impose oneself in their questioning, vale laden statements tend to deter people, stifles desired outcomes.
But regardless of that sentiment, I don't really have strong opinions about make up either way and rather people share their perspective rather then speak over there's with my own considering I don't have much insight into such day to day experiences.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Well this was what I read when I considered such a thread.
Why praising 'natural' beauty is a farce

As to the latter, I think it best to not impose oneself in their questioning, vale laden statements tend to deter people, stifles desired outcomes.
But regardless of that sentiment, I don't really have strong opinions about make up either way and rather people share their perspective rather then speak over there's with my own considering I don't have much insight into such day to day experiences.
Thanks for that article!

An excerpt that summarizes it:
As every woman knows – there's a vast difference between messy hair and no makeup and 'bedhead' and 'natural' makeup – about a few hundred dollars and 3,900 minutes a year difference, to take one conservative estimate.

The trend of men praising women for keeping it 'natural' is dumb and hypocritical in a culture known for its unattainable beauty standards – and where women who wear makeup are shown to benefit both socially and economically over women who don't.
I agree it's works better to hear what makeup users themselves have to say to have a more balanced view of things. From the posts here so far, I learned individuals still do have a say over how much influence they let beauty standards have over them.

Better to be educated about it than be one of those in the article who seem to remain ignorant of the gender-related and economic implications of their "personal preferences".

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I like this thread :)

Most of what I say will be just repeats of what these other beautiful ladies have already said, but sometimes I wear none at all (I prefer none, but society doesn't) and then weekend nights are a completely different ball game.

Whatever I put on my face, I am intentional on still looking like myself.

I start by washing my face & moisturizing.

"Light" day at work: Just mascara & lip balm, maybe a little eyeliner & concealer
Time: ~3 minutes

"Heavy" day going to work: Primer, liquid foundation, concealer, setting powder, eyeliner, neutral eyeshadow, mascara, maybe a lip stain
Time: ~10 minutes

"Going out": All of the above but contoured with bronzer & blush, heavier eyeliner & eyeshadow, lipstick (red or pink)
Time: ~20 minutes

I don't spend much on makeup. If you look hard enough, you can find some OTC products that are just as good as the expensive brand. However, I don't mind shelling out the big bucks for a great product that lasts a long time. This reminds me, I need to go get more foundation primer.

·
MOTM Sept 2014
8,492 Posts
I don't allow much time for makeup. Ten minutes, tops. Probably not even that. The only two things I really use regularly are concealer for if I have a blemish of some kind, and black or brown eyeliner. I will very rarely wear blush or mascara (stupid wand of goop you're supposed to smear all over your lashes, I hate that stuff) and wear lipstick maybe once a year. I can't stand having anything on my lips. Plus, a lot of that stuff is very drying and not good to use on a regular basis.

If I want to get dolled up for some reason I might use blush or bronzer, a bit of eyeshadow, and mascara. A lot of the time I just don't wear anything. I try to look nice at work and sometimes school, but if I'm running to the store or going to the gym, I'm really not going to worry about it. I actually don't look bad without make up, my eyes just look less defined. So eyeliner just kind of puts me up a notch.

As for cost, I probably spend... between fifty and one hundred dollars a year. I buy a very specific type of concealer I like that costs $40 a container, and it lasts me roughly a year. My eye liner costs around $8-$10 each and I replace it every 2-3 months. My bronzer and lipsticks last years.

Speaking of which, I always thought it would be cool to have a thread where people post pictures of themselves without make up. Some people are very insecure about that and won't leave the house until they fix themselves up. I like seeing what people look like under all the cosmetics.

·
Sunset Stripper
9,808 Posts
In general I wake up or start getting ready 2 hours before I need to go somewhere. My makeup takes around 30 mins and I use everything the makeup world offers at my disposal. EXCEPT lipstick I never find one I like. Overall I don't like using dark colors on my lips and nude ones make me look dead. I just ~stain~ my lips.

·
Banned
2,050 Posts
When I get pimples, they usually turn into post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (the skin turns into a red or brown dot) because I have so much melanin in my skin, so I have to wear coverup on my face for months after I break out. Aloe helps a lot; sometimes I just try to get enough of a tan so you can't tell.

10 minutes (I've known other girls who take a half hour, and they look amazing, but... I just don't have the patience/interest. 10 minutes is enough for me.)

Eyeliner or mascara (Usually I use mascara because it's easier to fully remove, but I've always found it uncomfortable. I definitely prefer eyeliner.)
Cover-up (not much, though)
Blush in the form of lipstick (sparkly blush is made using Pica, which is mined by children in India. So I don't buy blush.)
Chapstick, Burt's Bees Rose lip balm, or lip stick as a stain, depending on the day. (I leave it on for two minutes, then take most of it off and cover it with Vaseline. It gives my lips more color, without it looking like I'm wearing lipstick, and lasts a very long time)

Special Occasions: Eyeliner, Mascara, Blush, Concealer, Foundation, Eye Shadow, and Lip Gloss. (It looks better in pictures than RL)

I do the same thing pretty much every day, although I do occasionally skip concealer.

Probably... $30; every 3-4 months.

I spend more time actually taking care of my face than doing my make-up, and it usually comes off as soon as I get home.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
My ex used to do eye paints and a face toner. Also, 3 black dots on the side of one of her eyes...which was interesting. All in all, like 10 mins in the morning. Though i swear she looked better before it, the "i just woke up" look was her best.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts