Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe there is an elevated number of members of haplogroup cluster U/K (and D due to all the inventions from Japan) in ENTPs. Just curious to see the numbers.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I believe there is an elevated number of members of haplogroup cluster U/K (and D due to all the inventions from Japan) in ENTPs. Just curious to see the numbers.
I think perhaps this is a good example of the bias known as Curse of Knowledge: "occurs when an individual, communicating with other individuals, unknowingly assumes that the others have the background to understand."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_knowledge

I'm not a geneticist so I had to google haplogroup to know what it is.. and now I only know as much about it as the intro paragraph from wikipedia. I'd guess most people on here aren't familiar w/ either... not something I would assume is common knowledge for most people.

..but it is a topic I think I'd find very interesting. I'm always thinking about whether there is some sort of genetic link to mbti... so could you expand on it?

What dos a haplogroup cluster U/K (and D due to all the inventions from Japan) exactly mean and why do you think it's related to being ENTP?

From just skimming wikipedia article, I wouldn't think mbti is related to Haplogroups since "Haplogroups are used to represent the major branch points on the mitochondrial phylogenetic tree"... which I think means Haplogroups are related to ethnicity and genetic lineage and it's pretty obvious to me that mbti isn't in anyway related to ethnicity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_mitochondrial_DNA_haplogroup

But I could see mbti being related to genetics in other ways.

I think it seems clear that any type can have children of any type, so if it is genetic it's something like eye or hair color that can skip generations. I could also see mbti as possibly being something that comes from genetics but doesn't directly correspond to any specific genes, like maybe it's epigenetic or maybe its a result of a complex combination of genes that effect thinking and reasoning styles.

...the way I've been viewing mbti as late is along the lines of the last possibility. I'm leaning towards seeing it that people don't fit into distinctive mbti types rather reasoning/thinking is very complex ..and every individual's thinking style is complex and unique like a finger print. MBTI is just a simplified categorization, which is useful because it helps to identify and understand and be aware of some ways in which people's reasoning styles differ, but perhaps no one actually fits into any mbti type.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What dos a haplogroup cluster U/K (and D due to all the inventions from Japan) exactly mean and why do you think it's related to being ENTP?
mtDNA haplogroup D is the most common one in Japan.
The best inventions have come from Japan;
Japan is the most creative country;
ENTPs are more original than other people
Type ENTP correlates highly with Keirsey's Inventors.

I guess you figured it out already but just in case. I'm going to add a poll

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
mtDNA haplogroup D is the most common one in Japan.
The best inventions have come from Japan;
Japan is the most creative country;
ENTPs are more original than other people
Type ENTP correlates highly with Keirsey's Inventors.

I guess you figured it out already but just in case. I'm going to add a poll
I would guess that the high rate of inventions in japan has more to do w/ their economic system, government, patent process, and culture than it does to do w/ mbti type. I think there's a lot you can find and read about Japan government and economy shifting their focus to electronics and consumer goods and such after WW2.

I'd expect there'd to be a similar distribution of mbti types everywhere. Also Japanese culture doesn't seem very entp.. seems ultra conservative and rigid... not very entp friendly. I'm vaguely aware that there's problem in japan along the lines that young kids aren't fucking and have kids enough.. doesn't seem very entp to me. Anything sexual is very repressed. To me Japanese culture seems one of the least entp. If I was going to pick a cultue that's entp, I'd prob go w/ French: valuing philosophy and art. Sitting around a cafe drinking wine and coffee and discussing philosophy seems more entp to me than committing harakiri to preserve the integrity of rules and tradition. Would also make sense for US to be high entp, because perhaps entps would be more likely to be frontiersmen, or immigrate, and the US is a very entrepreneurial place. But living in the US, it doesn't seem all that ENTP, feels like an even distribution of types, so I'm guessing it's the same elsewhere.

Russian might also be a high entp place, because they were cunning enough to avoid the gulag ..similarly w/ other places w/ difficult living situations.

I think if there is any difference in distribution between groups, I wouldn't expect it to be regionally, but economic. My guess is ENTPs would thrive more in school and white collar jobs, and would prob tend to hold more liberal views as well so you'll tend to find them (as well as other N types) more in the middle class, whereas as working class might be more populated w/ S types.

It's hard to believe it's related so much to DNA as to be related to ethnicity, since I meet mbti types of all different ethnicities and don't see any correlation.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
France does seem to have an ENTP culture (their vid games are highly original as well though not much tech), but I thought NTs (especially NTPs though there was Lincoln and possibly Obama) were more likely to be libertarian than modern liberal.

·
Banned
800 Posts
The Brits seem the most inventingest bastards in history, though there's some bias due to both the habit of recording patents and the economic motivation of patenting itself.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I'm pretty sure no one on here knows their mtDNA haplogroup.

Also people are inventive anywhere you go. If you haven't realized that yet you've been living a very sheltered life.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And the saddest part is that I think you really believe what you say.
Why is it sad?

I'm pretty sure no one on here knows their mtDNA haplogroup.

Also people are inventive anywhere you go. If you haven't realized that yet you've been living a very sheltered life.
I did realize that but in some places people are more inventive than in other places.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I do agree that I have not much familiarity with this subject but I do not believe that ethnicity and region has anything to do with the prevalence of any MBTI type. HOWEVER, I do believe that each culture/ethnicity praises certain personality types more so those personality types may be more obvious or known.

It may be that in Japan, innovative types are more praised; so ENTPs are more front and center while a head down and do your thing type like an ISxJ might be pushed to the background. I think there was something discussed about Sweden (or some Scandinavian country) having more respect for introverts. In that case, an ISxJ may be more praised there. It seems that Extroverted Sensors are more revered here in the US between military leaders, sports people (and jocks in school), and other leaders. I think the Introverted Intuitives tend to not get a lot of respect or notice.

Anyway, I truly believe MBTI type is determined in-utero due to chemical/hormone and conditions. I think the nuances of culture and atmosphere raised that @desire machine mentioned is what makes everyone different, even within type. I do feel everyone does have an MBTI they do fit into based on what leading cognitive functions are our default setting though.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One can often tell mtDNA haplogroup clusters by physical features. For example, curved shoulder blades, long muscular legs, planoccipitality, large bulging eyes, super pale thin skin, upper arm shorter than forearm, a large aquiline nose with small nostrils, and a tendency for your pants to get caught up your buttcrack (all of these characteristics together in a person) would most likely indicate mtDNA haplogroup cluster UK.

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
I considered a DNA test but all of the places I looked at
do not allow for anonymity when it comes to the results and/or
destruction of test, test results and materials that were tested.
Essentially we are paying for them to fill out their respective databases
so they can then sell that info. Shysters.

The reason I am most curious is simply since the matriarchal side of my
family has been in Canada since the 1700's. They landed in New York but
where loyalist so the took off to Canada pretty quick like when USA
started beating their chest.

Anyhow..all I really have to go on for my heritage on that
side is hearsay and loose research. Figure it would have been
quicker to just get the test done.

So far as I know. Moms side is : English/NA Native/French/German.
Pop's side is Scandinavian. For certain. He was first Gen.
Denmark and/or Norway. That is the only debate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts