Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
What do you mean "what's your perspective?" What do you want to know specifically?

·
Registered
285 Posts
What did you think/feel when you watched it? Could you relate? Did it make you think something new? etc.
....I couldn't even watch it all...it was torture!! So overwhelming and distracting. I kept trying to focus and think about what he was saying but all the images and sounds going on with it made it impossible for me to focus...I started to get a headache....

The purpose/topic was lost and not firmly established to begin with. All the contradicting angles in the manner of speech tangled me up...and before I could understand what was being said as either being true or not...... I got plowed over with the rest of the video....

I officially gave up at the 2 minute mark.

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
....I couldn't even watch it all...it was torture!! So overwhelming and distracting. I kept trying to focus and think about what he was saying but all the images and sounds going on with it made it impossible for me to focus...I started to get a headache....

The purpose/topic was lost and not firmly established to begin with. All the contradicting angles in the manner of speech tangled me up...and before I could understand what was being said as either being true or not...... I got plowed over with the rest of the video....

I officially gave up at the 2 minute mark.
Thank you. That's fascinating to hear how differently we experienced this. I wonder if you could just read it what you would have thought...Hmmm..

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thank you. That's fascinating to hear how differently we experienced this. I wonder if you could just read it what you would have thought...Hmmm..
I think reading it would have really helped me...the video and speaking made everything too fast...and before I could make any connections in recognizable terms I found myself left playing catch up....

I usually reread/revisit things until I find a place for it ( similar to building/finishing a puzzle) ....... I really work best when I can set my own pace and can compare the relationships between objects.

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think reading it would have really helped me...the video and speaking made everything too fast...and before I could make any connections in recognizable terms I found myself left playing catch up....

I usually reread/revisit things until I find a place for it ( similar to building/finishing a puzzle) ....... I really work best when I can set my own pace and can compare the relationships between objects.
I feel similarly when it is a fast moving rock music video or something...too over stimulating. I think the language of the message must have been N-heavy and so I naturally picked it up more than the sensory stimulation. I want to get my hands on the actual speech - apparently it is in print and he's an author of other books too. I have a little girl that I think is ISFP and she is very smart. Some of our best mommy & me moments are when she sits on my lap and she practices her reading. She takes soo much longer than my other kiddo, but it's because she is commenting on the pictures, giving examples of where the word is used in real life and talking about when she did something similar in her life. It's adorable. I think ISFPs are the best at portraying things without words - - either in music, or art, or a touch etc. I think I can feel what they are expressing but still try to put it into words. Perhaps this video was doing just that and couldn't do it as artistically as you guys might......

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
What did you think/feel when you watched it? Could you relate? Did it make you think something new? etc.
I felt like the guy talking was kinda pretentious. But part of that is that I just don't like lectures in general, no matter what the context. I have to be really super interested in the details of the presentation for me to be able to stomach the "I know better than you" style. I've heard the terms "directive vs. informative" used before by Keirsey and maybe Berens? I'm an informative person, and it's much easier for me to listen to other informative people. It's really as simple as - someone presents something as "Here's this great thing I've discovered that I want to share with you" then that's great. Even if I don't agree that the specific thing is great, I'm much more open to listening. Meanwhile, presenting something as "Here's what you should do" always turns me off and puts me on the defensive. And even though in the last minute or so of this video, he tries to claim he's not telling anyone what to do, the whole tone leading up to that gave off the idea that he was.

As far as the actual content, I think that when I was the age of most kids graduating college, most of those things didn't occur to me very much. Now that I'm 36, I think I've experienced enough to kind of do these things naturally. I mean, not all the endless analysis but the consideration of "if I'm having a lousy day, the woman ahead of me in the checkout line might be too." Usually if I find myself complaining or feeling sorry for myself about anything, it's very quick most of the time now that I check myself and at least think if not say out loud "I've got a great life, and there's people with much worse circumstances than me." And he's also right about a lot of how you perceive things around you being a choice. I can't control other people or what reality itself is but I can choose my actions in response to it, including how long to dwell on thinking about my own problems or boredom or whatever.

So, yeah, there's a few good messages kinda buried in there but they're hurt by the presentation a bit. I can tell he was trying to be striking, but ends up coming off a bit condescending to me.

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I felt like the guy talking was kinda pretentious. But part of that is that I just don't like lectures in general, no matter what the context. I have to be really super interested in the details of the presentation for me to be able to stomach the "I know better than you" style. I've heard the terms "directive vs. informative" used before by Keirsey and maybe Berens? I'm an informative person, and it's much easier for me to listen to other informative people. It's really as simple as - someone presents something as "Here's this great thing I've discovered that I want to share with you" then that's great. Even if I don't agree that the specific thing is great, I'm much more open to listening. Meanwhile, presenting something as "Here's what you should do" always turns me off and puts me on the defensive. And even though in the last minute or so of this video, he tries to claim he's not telling anyone what to do, the whole tone leading up to that gave off the idea that he was.

As far as the actual content, I think that when I was the age of most kids graduating college, most of those things didn't occur to me very much. Now that I'm 36, I think I've experienced enough to kind of do these things naturally. I mean, not all the endless analysis but the consideration of "if I'm having a lousy day, the woman ahead of me in the checkout line might be too." Usually if I find myself complaining or feeling sorry for myself about anything, it's very quick most of the time now that I check myself and at least think if not say out loud "I've got a great life, and there's people with much worse circumstances than me." And he's also right about a lot of how you perceive things around you being a choice. I can't control other people or what reality itself is but I can choose my actions in response to it, including how long to dwell on thinking about my own problems or boredom or whatever.

So, yeah, there's a few good messages kinda buried in there but they're hurt by the presentation a bit. I can tell he was trying to be striking, but ends up coming off a bit condescending to me.
Thanks! It's so interesting to me to read the different reactions. I appreciate where you're coming from because I am often guilty of assuming that something that is powerful and meaningful to me will be powerful and meaningful to someone else. It is not second nature to me (as it seems it is for those who prefer Fi) to first assume that others are not like me and to just express something as 'this was powerful to me'....

So this triggered another question for me. What would you want a graduation speech to be like if you were in the audience? Would you want them to say - congrats - you're done - good luck! Is there a way to be inspiring with an informative approach vs. directive?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
It was very repetitive and bland. It didn't keep my attention for more than several seconds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts