Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I like it. It's an enhancement of how I currently experience things. There is the ever-present ability to look deeply into the motivations, circumstances, and prior actions that led to things being the way they are, but, as an NT, I find an extreme value in sitting, and experiencing tranquility to something like listening to my ears work. There are just as many deep truths to be extrapolated from surface observations.

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
It's a beautiful speech; something I wish I've written myself. David Foster Wallace is a new name to me, and, I'm glad I've made that discovery albeit late. I do remember having a similar debate with a judgemental friend of mine. She considers herself an excellent judge of character and professional people watcher, but she never asked herself deeper questions, or consider a back story to someone's existence. He does seem to repeat Jean-Paul Sartre's ideas regarding choice, who in turn elaborates on Epictetus. I do catch myself slipping into the selfish unconscious at times, I do share his feelings of boredom, discontent towards the modern existed. If anything, his words are a pleasant reminder of things I know but often forget.

Reactions: Lady Lullaby

·
Registered
507 Posts
As an ENTP fortunately I never have the problem with such perspective in life. The first 3 minutes of the video was indeed a nightmare. But watching the last half of the video, I realized that I must be grateful that I could see the world optimistically. Its a shame what happened to David Foster tough. Also, this video makes me wonder, do the half of the video describe how introverts think?? Just curious.

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
Both introverts and extroverts have the proprieties of one another in their function stack. This is saying that extroverts are immune to pessimism, depression and other mood disorders which is not true. From what little I've read of David Foster Wallace, I'm under the impression that he is a heavy Ne user. He navigates multiple points of view with incredible fluency; he's quick to connect patterns and not get caught up in the details. I do think depression is more taxing for extroverts. If your life sucked and you're ENxP, your inferior Si will continue to projects piles of suck into the future and render you a pessimist.

I got a little distracted with watching an interview or two; sometimes, I perceive him to be an xNTP. He strikes me as intensely emotional; yet, I find him critical of what is unhealthy introverted feeling; the solipsism and the unhealthy selfish hedonism of American society.

·
Registered
ENTJ, 8w7
2,765 Posts
I would say my life is far less "day in and day out", full of boredom, frustration, etc. as an adult, actually.

I generally end up in conversations with other bored people while waiting in lines. The bit about the traffic, though... ugh. It's a lot easier to depersonalize people in cars, which is possibly why I tend to get a lot more pissed off.

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This thread really needs more audience
I am starting to wonder if the age demographic of PerC could be effecting the nature of the responses I've seen so far. My INTP husband found this video to be a good reminder for personal awareness . . . I wonder if we're more ready to admit negative tendencies in ourselves after we reach a certain age? Maybe the 'day in, day out' life hasn't hit enough people here for me to really have a conversation on the pieces of this reality more adults face every day? Hmmm....hard to say.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
This is just something to consider. I'm glad I watched this. My INTP Type 5 husband shared it with me and I'd like to get some feedback about what the NT's perspective is after watching:

I'm not an NT, and I can't claim to know how this might affect an NT.

I'm an INFP, and that video made me cry. I used to make up stories in my head about other people when I was between the ages of ten and twenty, usually as a way to feel more connected and to acknowledge all of the unknown possibilities, but I lost touch with it at some point in my adulthood. This just reminded me.

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not an NT, and I can't claim to know how this might affect an NT.

I'm an INFP, and that video made me cry. I used to make up stories in my head about other people when I was between the ages of ten and twenty, usually as a way to feel more connected and to acknowledge all of the unknown possibilities, but I lost touch with it at some point in my adulthood. This just reminded me.

Thanks for your response! (I definitely had a similar response to yours.) Would you mind putting this comment in this NF thread? I posted this vid in each subforum to compare reactions. :wink: (The SP thread has been interesting too.)

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
Interesting, I often translate music, visual arts and the physical environment into language, into ideas. Is that the intuitive thing to do? I read the post about teaching your ISFP daughter to read; I hated books until they dealt more with ideas rather then stories. Even when I speak of music there's always an underlining character or literary script. It fascinates me that SJs have yet to respond to this thread, that SPs were lost and inquisitive about the details. I wonder if the SJs consider this normal: this is the way it's supposed to be, there are no other options.

This is the reality I do not want, thank you David Foster Wallace for reminding us of other options. Emotionally, there was a delicate sadness, a fascination that was strangely comforting. The thought of graduating, making a routine contribution to society, and society making a meagre contribution to your economic well being terrifies me. This is the life I want to escape, drug myself with books, film and internet forums; strive to meet interesting people and keep in touch with the youth -- I do feel the agony of day in and day out, the endless monotony, the thought of spending the next forty years teaching piano lessons. I want to destroy what little I built.

I wonder how many people find me confusing? This is how I write; this is how I think. The video was straight forward, easy to follow.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm confused. You want my opinion on the video?

Duh? I'm aware a lot of people would benifit from seeing that, but he didn't say anything I didn't already know.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I don't like this one at all actually. If everything you see in your life is the routine, that's your main problem. Considering that other people infront of you in line are actually amazing people in an improbable way, forces you to acknowledge the fact that they might be horrible people also if you want to be objective. You should focus on finding a solid real meaning to life that would help you deal with the day to day, instead of looking for things that are not there.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I don't like this one at all actually. If everything you see in your life is the routine, that's your main problem. Considering that other people infront of you in line are actually amazing people in an improbable way, forces you to acknowledge the fact that they might be horrible people also if you want to be objective. You should focus on finding a solid real meaning to life that would help you deal with the day to day, instead of looking for things that are not there.
Its easy if you have a strong Ne. We can't say the same to others.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Personally, I more naturally do think that way.
It could be something my dad drilled into my head. He's often trying to ensure I learn little lessons like this.

From the start I knew the video would be an inspirational speech. I've seen enough of these kind of videos to see where it's heading fast.

I don't see what there is to cry about in the video although I do see it's told in a moving way.

I think that because this is my default thinking style in those kind of situations, I'm better than you and you should praise me. :p
I'm kidding aha. I do think that this is something everyone should try more often.
For me, I find this much more mentally stimulating than standing in line hating everything (albeit not something I find amazingly fun).

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
Playing robot is counter productive to our nature; SJs might argue that is paying homage to your social dues whereas us and the NFs would continue to gnash our teeth with frustration. It must be nice to sit back and be able to say: this is the way things are, and have been and will continue to be because that's just the way things are -- love the circular logic. My mind doesn't work that way.

I can entertain myself remarkably well standing in line in a shop, or waiting at the dentists office. I always carry some Ne crack: be it a novel, a notebook, a conversation in my head, etc. There is social pressure to industrialize your personal life; become a cog in the social economic machine. Success is defined as wanting the same thing as your neighbour; which in turn is something what society wants you to want.

The banalities of everyday life are manoeuvrable; it doesn't take great intelligence to do so. Having an existence outside of the social expectations does -- I could not see my life being defined by everyday habits, by my career or by the things I have. Maybe the later is more representative of me because they are my books, musical instruments and clothing. They are tools with which I communicate my ideas which in turn mirror who I really am.

Sometimes Ne has been known to declare a general strike. You're not using the ideas I give you, I'm just going to lie on this sofa, drink beer and get all lethargic watching the tele.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I've seen this video before. . As has been said it's perhaps a function of age, as the video implies at the beginning, that the "young fish" don't notice the obvious.

I guess as an ENTP I almost never have problems coming up with multiple perspectives. I mean i get being stressed out and annoyed, but To get personally annoyed at my own assumptions about others....as a default way of viewing the world....is .... Well, frankly, I find it bizarre.

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
I didn't always have a healthy functioning Ne; being able to consider and entertain multiple perspectives is very natural and comforting. I lost this ability in university, and recently when I felt bound to teaching piano. In typing myself I considered my teenage self when I was most complete, most happy and most fulfilled and contracted that life with my university and present self. Trying to live an SJ life turned my into a bitter, unhappy cynic describing the meaning of modern life as a series of financial agreements and obligation where your last duty is to die. Definitely happier considering the infinite.

i forgot where I want to go with that thought. Perc at quarter to five in the morning. The idea is that it's possible to NPs to think like this when we're in out grip.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts