Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
My perspective is that I have an problem with focus. The thought of watching a 10 minute video seem insurmountable.

I'm all about my 11 second videos.

:(

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My perspective is that I have an problem with focus. The thought of watching a 10 minute video seem insurmountable.

Silly Billy!

Well - that's your perogative - - but maybe when you have 10 minutes to spare you might give it a try. :wink:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can definitely see the guy's point, but sadly, the only thing I really feel is disgust. A lot of it has to do with the fact that, while I value knowledge highly, I have very little respect for what the speaker calls 'education', doubly so because of how selfish I've been becoming lately.

The video is probably going to go down well with most other people though. It promotes good values. They're not ones that I agree with, but I think they're worthy of being considered at least.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I don't see a strong connection between education and what the message of this video is otherwise supposed to be. I suppose the video serves as a nice reminder to be mindful and appreciative of our situation and those around us. The "default" setting that is spoken of in the video almost reminds me of a depressed state of mind.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I'm an INFP, and that video made me cry. I used to make up stories in my head about other people when I was between the ages of ten and twenty, usually as a way to feel more connected and to acknowledge all of the unknown possibilities, but I lost touch with it at some point in my adulthood. This just reminded me.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I've found that when I'm waiting in line at a crowded supermarket, or I'm stuck in backed-up traffic, or life has thrown any number of curveballs my way to stop me from wherever I was headed, I'm constantly looking and talking to the people around me. I shift my focus from the unchangeable to what's going on around me. And I'm busy taking everyone with me. I'll draw them into the world I see. So I'll make the people in line laugh about the headlines in the tabloids, or I'll ask them about the vacation they were on their way to, or I'll amuse the child ahead of me so a harried parent can get done what they need to. Life is about those little moments of interaction. I never realized why I was a magnet in those kinds of situations. Now I see why. Now I see the other side.

We spend so much of our time waiting. Do we waste it on wishing it were different, or do we take it as an opportunity to see the world we haven't been noticing? This is water. We're living in it. Do you notice it?

The most important things aren't learned in school.

·
Administrator
15,061 Posts
I've been wondering about my perception of NTJs and their survival instincts (I don't know what else to call it). And at first I didn't understand the fish in water and the "default" perspective of caring about being "self centered."

But I really liked the video. I agree that we do need human connection in our lives.

I once talked to this cashier and she told me about how when she was a little girl these ravens attacked her hair. And it was because there was an old woman who lived near her bus stop, who kept the ravens as pets--but they got out and started attacking the children, who were waiting at the bus stop. I love this story and I never would have known it if I hadn't made an effort to connect with the humanity of the cashier.

And once, I was walking by a corner and there was an odd looking man on it. He was wearing clothes that were ragged, and his hair was disheveled, and he looked like he was homeless and had a mental illness. And I was worried about walking past him--about what random thing he would do and what aspect of his humanity he would expose (as people who are desperate will often expose that desperation--and he had definitely experienced his share of suffering). And I am often pondering how horrible the world is and wasn't really enthusiastic to be reminded of that.
And when i walked by him he looked at me and he smiled, and I asked him, "Hi, how are you?"

And he said, " I am doing wonderful! It's such a beautiful day! I hope you have a good day too."

·
Registered
178 Posts
I really liked the video a lot, and would definitely agree with its sense of perspective. I've found from my own experience that one of the biggest mistakes I can make is being sure that I am right about something or someone, when in reality so many things are up to perspective, and there is truly so little we know about people and the world. Keeping an open mind and never jumping to false conclusions is difficult, but truly rewarding when I can accomplish it, because it makes life so much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts

Sorry about my ENTP question videos, if this is the case, LOL!

Reactions: Laeona

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
This is just something to consider. I'm glad I watched this. My INTP Type 5 husband shared it with me and I'd like to get some feedback about what the NF's perspective is after watching:
Eh, reminded me of Stephen Covey's old analogy of paradigm shifting / paradigm breaking. The "main" character in the video also looks like a complete douche bag, of course the chick at the supermarket is gonna fall for him.

Reactions: Lady Lullaby
1 - 11 of 11 Posts