Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm always getting article feeds from a couple of mailing lists I subscribe to; mostly business related. Two or three times per week, I'll get articles related to "Find Your Purpose", or related concepts.

I have to tell you, that more and more, I get a little agitated when I see these types of things.

It doesn't really make any sense that I get agitated by this at all; why should I let it throw me? But it does.

For a moment, my thought is "This bullshit again".

This is so prevalent that, as usual, it makes me feel like the odd man out when I see this.

Do we all have some kind of purpose?

Oh God, what if what I'm doing is not "My purpose"?

This seems like some kind of emergency to me now.

I have to go find a purpose? Everyone seems to have one except me? Crap!

Seriously, entire books have been written about this; it's everywhere.

I'm starting to feel guilty about not having a purpose.

I've lived half a century without a fucking purpose. Is my life a total waste?

Seems to me this has to be related to a religious experience, or belief in God; otherwise if we're all just random apparitions, how can we have a purpose. Our purpose would be to be random, right.

Anyway, it seems like a lot of pressure is put on people to have a purpose.

Also, If I've already fulfilled my purpose, then I'm going to die soon. WTF?

So it's better just to not find your purpose for a long time, right?

This is all very confusing, and I really don't know what I'm trying so say.

Just stuff that's on my mind.

PEACE

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I always think of those things as pressure or guilt or some other way to trigger insecurity. I feel like as long as you feel fulfilled, you are serving your purpose.

Modern society, or at least the business aspect, thrives on inducing a feeling of "you are deficient but don't worry, we'll sell you a solution." You're not successful enough, attractive enough, you are single and that's definitely not the way it should be... thing is, no matter what the solution is, it's not the right solution.

No one outside of you should be able to guide you on your "purpose," if you choose to believe that is actually a thing. I personally think that applies far too much signifigance on individuals and is perhaps nothing more than an ego stroke. By this I mean that purpose is likely more localized and simpler than is profitable for companies. For me, my "purpose" (though I don't like that word) is to use what I consider my assets to help people I know. I try to be positive, supportive, encouraging and gently challenging. My "purpose" is to live my life in a way that exhibits intergrity.

Here is a song about it for laughs:

please excuse any incoherence, I'm on a ton of allergy meds atm

edit: actually the follow-up song is relevant so here's that

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
@Intrepid7 -

HA! 2 or 3 times per week! SUCH frequency! SUCH pressure. Must alter SPAM settings. "Find your purpose" - filter SPAM!

I don't know... I suffer from this question at least once or twice a day on my own (am I doing it? could I be doing more? how will I know when I am doing it?). Lol. Too complicated. Basically, I would agree with @stathamspeacoat - in summary, live in such a way that I am being the best of myself... whatever that is.

:stomp: <-- Random, but funny to me since it is probably what I should do less of. Not the stomping, but the passive waiting to be stomped upon.

Reactions: Intrepid7

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I don't see purpose as an activity, to me it's a natural skill or talent that you are already good at and that brings you joy and satisfaction, and that then you spend your entire life perfecting it. So it's more of an abstract thing. Like self-expression is a purpose. Being an artist isn't. Being an artist is just one of the many ways a person channels their Self-expression. Another purpose could be philanthropy, and then a person chooses an activity to channel the philanthrophy. Etc.

I think everyone is naturally good at certain things, and they enjoy doing them, it's a matter of perfecting it. Like the athlete is born skilled, but unless they train they will never realize their full potential.

I know my purpose(s), and they're abstract. I use a variety of activities to express this purpose.

The emails I receive don't frustrate me, on the contrary, they give me food for thought. I don't feel forced to fulfill my purpose, I'm just naturally drawn to realizing it in the world, I've been doing it my whole life, can't help it, it's just my nature. I think people overcomplicate things. Purpose is not complicated. It just takes self-awareness, the ability to make choices, and the curiosity and desire to realize one's own full potential in life.

Purpose imo is a person's raison d'être. I doubt very much that being a therapist for example is someone's raison d'être. Now, connecting with people and helping people can very well be. The therapist chooses this activity is order to channel their raison d'être, but they could choose something else, like working at a soup kitchen or being a teacher or whatever. The activity can change, but the Why behind their chosen activity remains the same, and they could choose a different activity but the Why would always be the same.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I have found that it takes a lifetime to answer this question. Only after you have had some kind of impact on your immediate area of influence can you in retrospect divine your purpose.

For example, my children are in this world as a result of my happening into the world. The kind of people they have become is the direct result of the parent I have been. So there is one instance of what my purpose has been.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
This made me laugh so hard lol. Waiting with a smile lol.
Right? So typical of me. Lol. My phone has a emoji that's like hand to face - I wish it had that one on here because that is like me all day long.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've read about people your age experiencing what the call a Saturn Return. I believe the colloquial term is "mid-life crisis", but I feel that's derogatory.

They say it is caused by the karmic planet of Saturn returning to it's original placement in your birth chart. When it does so, it beckons you to question and examine your own behavior and its effects on yourself and those around you.

Might be worth checking out? This is my 50 cents worth at least

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
If you're satisfied without having a purpose, more power to you. Fact is most people don't feel like they're living to their full potential unless they're contributing something to the world. You might be seen as lazy, but you could also say they work themselves too hard. It's all subjective, really; there is no written rule with something as philosophical as this.

As for me, I just know what's important to me. So I decided my purpose is something related to that. I had to educate myself on it before I decided to dedicate myself to it, however. Otherwise I never would have known just how desperately help was needed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hello @Intrepid7, what an interesting topic you have wrote here :)

I think You and every INFP should have caution of those "gurus" of happiness out there. The art of selling is basically build a believe on the customer that they are empty in order to purchase our product (the solution of the problem). Look Coca-Cola, they don't promote soda water, they sell "happiness".

If I were you I would avoid those "gurus", because many of them use that kind of tactis in order to sell their "magic" podcasts, ebooks, or shitty videos with fancy tittles like: "Find you life purpose in 5 steps, step 3 changed my life!". Happiness, Money, Confidence, Purpose, all those niches follow the same pattern, start making you feel garbage.

I think we live in some sort of "Dictatorship of Happiness", there is a misconception that we HAVE to be happy all the time, they sell us this idea to generate frustration on us, they know frustation generate SALES!. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't find ways to be happy, what I'm saying here is to see life as it is, with nice moments and bad moments, and embrace both of them.

Dont allow anybody tell you that your life sucks because you don't have a life purpose or a Ferrari or whatever. I know this perspective is hard to accept and even more considering you are an INFP as me. I found that the best way to get something is when you are relax and your mind is clear to think and build a plan to achieve it. These moments is where you have to be rational instead of emotional. Being rational is a weak point on INFP but very necessary to develop. Analyze your strenghts and weakness as an INFP, I think these are good starting point to build a plan to find a life purpose.

As I see, you are letting your emotions controlling you, this is normal because your are INFP (like me). Anxiety and stress won't help you, and can lead you to depression which is worst, I know what I'm talking. Some years ago I almost kill myself because I failed in something I thought was my life purpose. I had to re-start from scratch again, and right now I don't have a clear life purpose BUT I have build a actionable plan to find it, this required from me to be more rational and less emotional and in my humble opinion being rational is something INFP should put special interest because many aspect of daily life require this ability.

Clear your mind of shitty thoughts, be rational and build a plan, if you fail in the process, don't worry just relax. "Embracing failure is the best way to get closer to success".

Greetings

Charly The Rabbit

·
Edgelord
INFP 5w4 - ILI - Chaotic Good
6,942 Posts
probably dying alone and very old and grumpy

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Tell stories, take care of my doggie until she leaves me behind, then probably kill myself.

·
Premium Member
15,291 Posts
My purpose in life in to have no purpose, & ladies and gentlemen, that, in itself, is a mighty fine purpose. Don't follow/believe/adhere to all the authors/organizations/groups/psychologists/businesses -- who always make you feel *less than*, tell you what to do to *grow up* :rolleyes: and be just like them. Everyone is trying to sell their latest book, ideology, religion or university course.

Woo. I sure is startin' out cynical, this AM. :proud:

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Justice and living off desire to ensure righteous rule. The eradication, destruction of all and any forms of injustice, things that prevent us from living in a state of inner harmony.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting how pretty much everyone who has responded accepts the concept that people indeed have a purpose, and in order to fulfill that purpose we have to follow our hearts, or determine what it is that we like to do, or feel good doing, and that this is the avenue to being in tune with your purpose.

Still, it's interesting to see that the underlying assumption is that we all have a purpose, and it's somehow related to how we affect the world, or have some kind of impact on humanity.

As an INFP, I tend to over analyze things, so I'm going to throw this out there.

Please don't take this the wrong way. It's not a hostile response. I'm just making an observation.

Do people really think that they are all that important?

Isn't it an extreme form of narcissism or hubris to think the universe, God, or just plain coincidence has chosen a person to make an impact on the planet, or fulfill some grandiose plan for humanity that they only can fulfill?

Isn't much more likely that we (humans) can't come to grips with the idea that our place in the world means absolutely nothing?

That if we died tomorrow, a few people would care, and after a little while, no one would know you ever existed?

These are hard things to deal with. I think we want to believe (our egos do anyway) that we're special, that we're important, that we'll be missed.

The more I see, the less I tend to believe that every moment of the day is nothing more than utter chaos. Billions of random events
all taking place at once. Any slight variation that changes this randomness can potentially alter all the other variables, taking our lives in a completely different direction.

Having a "purpose" to me means a pre-destiny, an ordered, organized plan that leads to an end.

What is the purpose of a child who dies of starvation or worse, before they're a year old?

This is an extreme example. But is it unrealistic?

Don't we all have a purpose?

It's a hard thing to accept that none of this means anything, and that in a billion years, no one are anything will care whether we existed or not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts