Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I want to get a PhD and get involved in scientific research. I've made some strong inroads so far. I also want to fall in love and have those feelings returned.

As for society, i want to see more social justice. I want the gap between the rich and the poor to decrease. I want barriers preventing people from attaining education and healthcare to be removed. I want our society to become more sustainable. I want us to become responsible global citizens and to use our prosperity to help the developing nations of the world.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to get a PhD and get involved in scientific research. I've made some strong inroads so far. I also want to fall in love and have those feelings returned.

As for society, i want to see more social justice. I want the gap between the rich and the poor to decrease. I want barriers preventing people from attaining education and healthcare to be removed. I want our society to become more sustainable. I want us to become responsible global citizens and to use our prosperity to help the developing nations of the world.
To be a scientific researcher, that would really require loads of introverted thinking (Ti)! I've been thinking how, as an INFP can adapt to such intellectually demanding career? Like any other qualities that are important? I'm really interested!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
That sounds about right for me as well. The rich/poor divide and the environmental destruction of our planet are two of the most important issues to me. I'm not sure how much faith I have in people, as a whole, to truly change the status quo, though.

On a personal level... jeez, I have no idea anymore. I thought I did at one point, but I feel more or less clueless as to what I want for myself now.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I'm hoping my dissertation defense goes smoothly and that I find a tenure-track professorship. I want to show people how critical literary analysis can teach us about the world we live in. It bugs me that people tell me I read novels "wrong" because I analyze them--that I should just enjoy the story and not look for other truths in it. To me, that's like being able to see in only one color--you can still SEE but only on one level. But if you can be shown the whole spectrum of meaning in texts...you look up from the book and see the full color spectrum in the whole WORLD.

My "hot-button" issue in terms of idealism is education. When I read about the INFP being dedicated to a cause and digging her heels in, I remember the kinds of discussions I had with my school administrators when they told me I needed to start dedicating an entire day each week in English to test prep for state tests...in my Spanish class. I get riled up about the way standardized test sores are abused and how everyone thinks that because they went to school, they know what teachers do. I won't get started, but I advocate for best practices but also for alignment of pedagogy with administration, when they are so often at odds.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
To be a scientific researcher, that would really require loads of introverted thinking (Ti)! I've been thinking how, as an INFP can adapt to such intellectually demanding career? Like any other qualities that are important? I'm really interested!
The further into it I get the more I feel that I might be getting in out of my depth. I've done well in my studies so far. I came fourth out of about 500-700 people last semester. But it keeps getting harder and harder, so I'm not sure if I will be able to maintain that level of performance.

Self belief is so important. When you don't believe in yourself, you have a tendency to give up without even trying. I figure that we only live once, so I'm going to shoot for the stars and try and not let self doubt hold me back.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I want to bring the worlds in my head to life around me. So I've been practicing writing, drawing, as well as training myself to get things done (sadly this last one is not going so well, I've got too many active projects going that I'm avoiding).

As for the rest of the world, I would like to see is that everyone on earth has enough daily food and water. I'm still sorting out how I would like to accomplish this dream, but I do know that there are several interrelated systems that need to work together to make it possible.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The further into it I get the more I feel that I might be getting in out of my depth. I've done well in my studies so far. I came fourth out of about 500-700 people last semester. But it keeps getting harder and harder, so I'm not sure if I will be able to maintain that level of performance.

Self belief is so important. When you don't believe in yourself, you have a tendency to give up without even trying. I figure that we only live once, so I'm going to shoot for the stars and try and not let self doubt hold me back.
You can do it!! I recently read an article about the importance of stupidity in research. It was...refreshing.
The importance of stupidity in scientific research

·
Registered
806 Posts
Well, I've always envisioned myself getting a job where I could help people with mental issues. And I've always wanted social justice to prevail, for racism, classicism and other prejudices to decrease, and for people to actually treat each other as equals. The economy and the environment are both messed up and need to improve. I hope that in the future scientists can actually make more energy efficient vehicles(read: cars that aren't run by gasoline/carbon dioxide) because that is ruining the environment and making global warming worse.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Luke @Marimeli

It's really a pity that many world issues remain unsolved. I recalled one of the professors that I knew who teaches history suggested something called 'law of unintended consequences'. That really disappointed me quite much for the subject that I major which is Economics; the 'law' seemed to blame everything that cannot be explained or predicted. Afterall, that is quite true. Not matter how theories have made any types of quantitative or qualtitative analyses, the uninteneded which is beyond the framework of theories always appeares. Anyway, I still think to know something is better than nothing and I found being an academic is intellectually stimulating. So, life goes on... And, as an INFP, I tend to think that if people have love, problem solved :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
My ultimate vision is to buy a half acre of land; build a small solar powered homestead; have a water well; my own garden; and have bills so low that it would only require a part time job or freelance work to manage. I'd also love to have a horse companion to ride across the countryside with, sure is a hell of a lot funner than driving a lifeless vehicle. lol :p

And from there I want to continue reading and educating myself with the use of the world wide web, and learn as much as I can, and do all the hobbies I love doing. To live in peace and tranquility far away from the types of people that have expectations of me. I want to delve deep into the spiritual side of this reality frame. Master Lucid Dreaming to have them at will, essentially doubling my lifespan because really I'd be conscious even whilst sleeping yet totally awake in another reality, where anything the mind can think up is possible. Master meditation to melt the daily stresses of life away, and achieve higher consciousness and enlightenment.

And then one day I hope to meet my long term life partner, and to have children of my own; to hopefully bring a good human being into this world; so that she or he can continue my legacy of trying to make this world just a little bit better for the future generations of peoples.

Sometimes it's hard for me to accept the world's current madness; and because of my ways of thinking I often feel very isolated and lonely. But whenever I hit a low like that I just listen to this simple lil' tune right here and it helps keep me goin'. ;)

·
Registered
771 Posts
My vision?

Oh, I have many... but all of them can be simplified in escaping this reality... something like what "Eddy Stylez" said, living that kind of life in nature. I'd love to live in one island that had yet to be colonised by industries... of course, just for a while... having my vacations there. Money worries me because I'm afraid I won't be able to accomplish my dreams if I don't have it, but I don't want to work like a slave of the system so the only possible exit is to work in something I really like to do... and that will be hard. I'm still in high school but too worried already, and since I discovered I'm an INFP I decided I'm not going to do sciences, I like them but it's not what I'm best at.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
@Luke @Marimeli

It's really a pity that many world issues remain unsolved. I recalled one of the professors that I knew who teaches history suggested something called 'law of unintended consequences'. That really disappointed me quite much for the subject that I major which is Economics; the 'law' seemed to blame everything that cannot be explained or predicted. Afterall, that is quite true. Not matter how theories have made any types of quantitative or qualtitative analyses, the uninteneded which is beyond the framework of theories always appeares. Anyway, I still think to know something is better than nothing and I found being an academic is intellectually stimulating. So, life goes on... And, as an INFP, I tend to think that if people have love, problem solved :)
I think his point was that since original research takes place on untrodden ground, you're bound to feel like you don't really know what you're doing sometimes, but that means you're doing it right. In the sciences, it's easier for people to see practical applications of your work; people are always challenging me, however, on why my field even matters. For me it's partly to avoid facile conclusions like the "law" your prof mentioned. There are many truths in literary worlds and it behooves us to learn them, and learn from them

Reactions: cloudcompeller

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think his point was that since original research takes place on untrodden ground, you're bound to feel like you don't really know what you're doing sometimes, but that means you're doing it right. In the sciences, it's easier for people to see practical applications of your work; people are always challenging me, however, on why my field even matters. For me it's partly to avoid facile conclusions like the "law" your prof mentioned. There are many truths in literary worlds and it behooves us to learn them, and learn from them
Yes, this should be part of the point he wanted to make too. Indeed the framework of science has reached much more consensus than that of social science in terms of methodological choices in which there are whole lots of philosohpical arguments behind. The challenge of social science is to study human behavior which is complex and often cannot be predicted; especially for Economics, which try to quantify behaviour using statistical analyses and posing whole lots of axioms. Anyway, I don't want to go to far and doesn't really mean that social science is useless, indeed it really does shape the world we have today, no matter bad or good. The good thing is, lots of people agree that scientific technology has brought really tangible benefits to the society, and no one can doubt that! Thank you for your opinion :)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Here is part of an entry I wrote in my introspecting journal one day, appropriately titled "The Vision":

I envision a colorful world. The days are truly bright, the sky so blue with pure white clouds and a brighty yellow sun. The day-by-day is less concrete; anything is possible. Every day is a new opportunity, and the sunsets... are magical. Even the normal sunset can make the whole sky orange or red, and the twilight; it's full of a cool, windy breeze full of life, the sky can be anywhere from deep blue to a beautiful purple; it provokes silent reflection, even with friends. The nights are even cooler, the sky is a mixture of jet-black with energy blue clouds.

Space is not the final frontier. There is still so much to explore in the universe. We all share an existence so much grander together. Our minds can create anything we choose. Magic is possible. Light and darkness exist and are palpable. God can be met.

Friendship lasts forever. A bond made transcends the physical body and accompanies our heart, wherever we are. True love exists, and is not torn apart by death. Moments spent with friends and loved ones, moments full of fun, joy, and passion are worth infinitely more than all the work in the world. Work is substituted for passionate self-expression and contribution.

Life is an adventure, not a struggle or even a game. It's a story, who for every person holds a happy ending, a happy ending which is at the same time a new beginning, that can bring forth newer and greater adventures. The spiral of creative self-realization shall never end. Every spirit travels toward infinity in a journey that never ends.

Rest is guaranteed. Relaxation, time off, is always available, and even then only to recover one's energy to start again. Existence is no longer revolved around duties, but opportunities, and chances for growth. Eighty years, or even a hundred, is a short time, but the moments we can create belong with us for eternity.

Bright, passionate fire; deep, moving water; strong, unshakable earth; and high, soaring, dreaming air; each element inspires us to do our best. The fantastic is reality, anything is possible, anyone is approachable, anyhow is guaranteed.

Whether we fly great distances feeling the wind against our faces. Whether we spend all night partying in cities full of lights and glowing colors. Whether we spend silent, eternal moments connecting with nature, and with planet Earth herself. Whether we write incredible stories, paint inspiring art, create living music or just kiss that special other. Every light is a firework, every teardrop is a waterfall. Every minute is forever x2. Every breath is an inhaling of life, as is every step taken or every hand held dearly.

This world is possible, it is real, it is ours.

And it all starts with a dream.
Sorry for making it so long. :tongue: And it was kind of spontaneous too, I was writing about imagination and I suddenly had the urge to write down as best as I could the way I would like to experience life. Though practical changes are rarely mentioned; but I hope for those to occur too, mainly in a way to help everyone experience something similar to this, or what makes a person just as happy.

Besides that, I hope to be a hero or someone who can help make a difference in these issues; but that is a whole other topic for another thread.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The details are fuzzy. Even if I'm fine on my own I like to think that there will be a sweet guy next to me. We'd live in a small house or apartment and have X amount of animals. Job wise I'd like to work in the zoo. And for the majority of my life I'd like to go out and travel to different places with my imaginary SO and fur-babies. A giant map will be posted on one of the walls of our house and we'll check off where we've been by pinning pictures of us on the map.

Nice, simple, and a touch of excitement. :tongue:

·
Registered
10 Posts
One of the things that is important to me is expression. I firmly believe that we are put into a very narrow track towards the beginning of our lives, and we are expected to follow it w/o thinking about it. I have trouble trusting the people in power, I consider them just power hungry a**holes who only care about money. I don't tend to do things just because people tells me to do them (familiar for all you N's haha), and I can get angry at people who follow tradition values blindly. I'll use a stereotype for an example, but I feel like it best illustrates my point. Many Asian students are told by their parents that pursuing a financially stable job in the future will make them as happy as they could possibly be. Many people can identify with money as a main personal goal, but what about those who are looking for a creative/personal life that may not be as financially stable? And there are people out there (see this whole sub-forum). I mean look at all these people who have complained that USA is losing its innovative touch. It's because we're taught to do what everyone else says, and play by the rules/tradition. Did Newton play by the rules when he practically invented modern physics? Did Einstein play by the rules when he developed General Relativity? I'll end that individuality rant there, I believe you guys get my point.

Money is something that has also really irked me. I feel like it is very useful for easy trade and stuff like that, but for many it becomes an obsession and it leads to people losing sight of other things in their life. I am a fairly anti-materialistic person, and I believe the human race should become more in touch who with what he want at a personal and spiritual level. I cannot fathom how a "successful" person by the standards of money/materialism can consider themselves superior to another person just for those reasons, without looking at the person's beliefs and personal goals in life. I believe this connects to my first point, because people flock to the high paying jobs like business owners, lawyers, and doctors. This will give them acceptance and respect from society. But the low-paying, creative, and innovative jobs such as novelist, astronomer, and philosopher aren't given nearly as much respect because there's no money in those occupations. A lot of the jobs I've brought up to my parents in my last couple years have been shot down, with quotes like "There's no money in that", or "Do you want to rent an apartment for the rest of your life?"

I do believe I have pretty clear visions in what I want to do in my life, but I hope I'm not stopped by my family's tendency to value money over all.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Gideon

Cannot agree more with what you've said. It seems that human civlisation has actually 'devolved'. Though people might become smarter and more goal-oriented, they lose they heart for things and people...what a sad story :( Don't know when people can find their true hearts again. God bless.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts