Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if other ENTP's do this to or if I am the lone wolf.

I tend to lie about the type of person I am a lot. Especially when I meet new, gullible people. Not that I don't like them... I just find it entertaining. I'm constantly trying to see what different type of emotions I can pull out of people and how far I can go with lying without getting caught.

I've been able to convince people of being a sociopath before and tons of other things (except for one ESFJ/P (not sure about the last letter)... who (no matter what I said) was convinced I was a kind, shy, sweet person who was just confused about their own identity and he wanted to help me 'discover' myself... which is why I got bored, annoyed and gave up with him... even though I was able to indirrectly convince him of being something I wasn't in a way, lol)

Thing is, I don't do things like that because I don't know who I am, I could tell them (show them my sense of humor, have them get offended, tell me I'm immature yet love me anyways :p)... but most of the time, where would the fun be in that? I'd rather try to see if I could convince them of being something I'm not than tell them the truth.

Anyone else do this?

Reactions: Zerosum

·
Registered
953 Posts
Lol, I've recently started trying to appear more ethical than I really am so that people DON'T think of me as a sociopath.

I've also been trying to talk less about myself lately, mainly cause I think people find me interesting due to my somewhat unique choice of lifestyle, and as a result they keep trying to get me to talk about myself and it gets tiring.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
100% agree with this!
I've always been a great liar and can actually convince anyone, whatever I want to tell them! When I first started high school, i was able to convince everyone that I was a professional BMX rider! People believed this for age and whenever ask for some form of proof, I could invent something plausible! Some People still believe it's true lol and I enjoy seeing how much exaggeration i can get away with and it's hard to keep up with them all, because I like to stuff around with quite a few people lol

·
Banned
5,780 Posts
Fucking ethics, I developed a strong conviction not to lie early on. I am actually really good at lying, so if I had just done that I would have had a really easy life. Oh well. When I present myself, I present me. Maybe a filtered, not-so-sarcastic me, but still me.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
most often people hear of my legend from the mouth of others, some are pleasantly surprised once I reveal my true self others run away....either way meeeeeh

Anyway I do coerce my legend to appear bigger than life, i have been known to exaggerate my age, my ethnicity (whatever an atlantians is), and many other aspects of myself. I do it for laughs but if I end up leading someone on I'll keep the bullshit going and the exaggerations will greatly increase until they realize that you can't go water skiing in the back of a croc, even if you have atlantian blood and lived your first 5 years in an underwater city and there really isn't a war going on in the oceans between atlantians mermaids and martians.....I totally had a girl going with this story until the underwater ocean war, she probably wasn't quite sure of what Atlantis was

·
Registered
535 Posts
I kind of felt indignant at this at first, like, "you must have so many friends they're coming out your @ss to be able to so freely mess with people". I hate it when people do this kinda stuff. Simple answer, simple question. "ha, i lied, and you believed me! ha! thats so clever and hilarious! Someone asked me a question, and instead of following socially appropriate behavior, I told an unobvious lie, and now i have created humor!" thats all very Stranger in Strange Land.

But thinking about what a bunch of d!ckwads all my friends lately, in ditching me half the time, I think i may start doing this to them. I'll go on and on about how distressed i am about my abusive ex, and pretend i'm an emotional basket case (i actually just passed the basket case phase, actually) and they'll feel guilty and start inviting me again, and i'll turn them down and act like i'm so busy because i have so many other things to do.

I heard some NPR segment on how brazil created this fake currency to convince everyone their real currency was stable, and it worked, for no other reason. I'll think i'll do that to my life maybe. I am so busy because I have so many wonderful things to do and so many wonderful people to see, that i simply dont have time to concern myself with reciprocation from so called friends that have known me for 25 years.

ok not to rant, but this idiot girl i know, she'll ignore my text on friday about whether or not she sees a movie, then text monday like "hey!!!!!" , then 1 1/2 weeks later send another text at work that has NOTHING to do with possibly forming any kind of recreational plans with me. and idiot me i still reply. NO MORE!!! leave the freaks alone let them wonder. Going to be a doormat all my life HELLZ NO

exit stage left.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I usually don't talk about myself much. I have no idea how to sell myself to future employers/admissions people at all, which is a shame. I find myself to have a very convoluted mind and personality in general. I've met maybe two people who actually understood me, and even then they don't understand me entirely. I'm just too unstable and unpredictable, it's really hard to label myself.

Honestly, I just let strangers judge me themselves. That'w how I would prefer it when meeting new people.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Basically I take the opposite approach a CIA agent would take. The spy leads an exciting life and pretends to be a typical boring guy. Me I live a typical boring life but pretend to be a spy. I describe myself as being richer and smarter. My life is extremely exciting and I get laid about 100x more than I actually do.

I wanted to throw in a quote from a book I am reading since it is on topic. I've heard this guy is either ENTP or ENTJ.

"I used to make up stuff in my bio all the time, that I used to be a professional ice-skater and stuff like that. I found it so inspirational. Why not make myself cooler than I am? I once told an interviewer that I'd been arrested for assaulting someone with a flashlight. And I said that I drove a Shelby Cobra. They totally swallowed it, and I felt bad. Then I thought, it doesn't matter. It'll make a better story." ... Stephen Colbert, from the book And Nothing But the Truthiness by Lisa Rogak.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts