Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Other than 1/1/2000. :laughing: Culturally, when did things start becoming more 2000's-ish? I'd say 9/11 truly killed it off as it dampened the atmosphere of everything.

Well early 90's were a lot like the eighties, just have to look at fashion to verify that... but still, it wasn't eighties either.

I'd say at about 1995 culture began to shift toward the 2000 era, which was really a 1995 to 2005 period, I think. In 2005 we sort of hit this plateau in the economy that inevitably lead to the crash... but I suppose that's more economic than societal.

So I'd agree about 9/11 adding a division on that era... 95 to 2001 was the late nineties and the early nineties was a bit different culture wise.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
I agree that 9/11 changed everything, not just for the US, but for the world. If ever there was a distinct point in time someone could claim to be the end of an era, or the beginning of one, it's that day. Most "eras" beginning and end within a "period of time". Rarely do they shift on a single day, especially for damn near everyone on the planet.

Technology has a bit to do with that though, what with live TV, the internet, etc. I image we'll have more days like that in the future. Hopefully not as tragic though. Could there be a day-shift of eras that is a happy one?

Hmm. Now that's something to think about.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not only 9/11 but around the end of 2001 music was starting to change too. Things got more 00's-ish. (Britney Spears started getting more and more controversial) lol and that thing that happened to Mariah Carey on TRL!

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'm of the opinion that the 2008 financial crisis will have a far more dramatic impact than 911 did, think about it, did 911 really have a lasting effect beyond the first couple of months after it happened. Americans went right back to what they were doing before like it never even happened it all, Bush told americans to spend and then(with the help of Alan Greenspan) created yet another bubble in real estate. I think the period from about the mid 1980s to the late 2000s was one distinct sociopolitical era in itself, the long boom, this was after the counter cultural revolution of the '60s and '70s but before the global financial crisis.

The '90s and '00s kind of blur in together like the '60s and '70s do, it is hard to say "when" the '90s ended when post-grunge and baggy pants have only recently went out of style but I'd say around 2005 pop culturally with a gradual start in 2001(when urban pop became more popular and the boybands started dying out).

·
Registered
852 Posts
the 90's everyone wants back I'd say really ended when Kurt Cobain committed suicide, after that event the 90's were different. The thing about the 90's is that the 90's had so many waves that it was not a single cohesive cultural decade like the 1980's were.

·
Forum Conspiracy Theorist
11,196 Posts
December 31, 1999

·
Registered
993 Posts
For those of you giving a literal chronological answer to the OP, I think he's asking for the end of the cultural decade of the '90s which is different than the chronological decade, like a lot of people have said the fifties ended with the Kennedy assassination but that was in 1963, a few years after the actual '50s ended.

Many have said 911 put an end to the cultural '90s but I think the change to the '00s was way more gradual fully cementing around 2005.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
I would say late 2001-early 2002, but this would have happened even without 9/11. Basically the early to mid 90s were about sarcasm, reflection, social consciousness, and authenticity. The mid to late 90s were more about image and aggression (see: the rise of nu-metal and electro as the predominant hyped genres, the slow death of authentic rap and grungy music, the rise of reality TV although that happened mostly in the early 2000s). After 2000 the aggression was mostly gone, except as posturing, and it basically became all about image. Which is really what the 2000s represents for me -- style without substance. This is why so many people of our generation remain nostalgic for the 90s.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,567 Posts
2002 IMO.

The changes brought on by 9/11 were becoming common place. A new climate, the build up leading into the Iraq war.

l am so old. But l miss the 90s. Sometimes l just don't bother to get online for a day and wander aimlessly downtown. Really takes me back, except now every douchebag is on their iThing and can't be assed to even...ass.

l was 9 at the height of the 90s but it really feels like my decade ;0

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,717 Posts
The 90's died april 5th 2002.
Was that when the Queen Mother died? First thing that came to mind upon seeing that date. I know it was somewhere around there.

I would say the '90s truly ended when Clinton was succeeded by Bush. So January 20th, 2001.

Alternatively, I could also say that, since I was born in 1990, the '90s ended for me when I entered double-digits of age (tenth birthday).

1 - 20 of 121 Posts