Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of people say in 2008 it died but I do not agree. I feel it died around 2012 because that was the year I started noticing less emo/scene kids my age and more hipsters, indies, swaggots(well that's more people a few years younger than myself not so much my age).

I also noticed that the term emo was still commonly used in the late 00's/early 10's whether it was in real life, on YouTube(remember the how to be Emo videos by Nigahiga? Or Emo Dad by the FineBros?), Facebook, Myspace(2010 and before) and other social gatherings.

So when did you feel the movement died?(note I am not suggesting that Emos and scenes are the same thing it's just that many people usually compared them so I lumped them into this too. Plus I personally do not see many scenes anymore either)

·
Registered
720 Posts
I really think that the emo scene started around 2002-2004 ( myspace huge example ) , peaked at 2006 , and then died at 2008 when no news WHATSOEVER was coming out of the genre and nu bubble gum pop/ nu disco was comming in .

I kinda count goths as the original emo scene ( alot of them that I met are very smart ) and I havent heard anything about them since 2007.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really think that the emo scene started around 2002-2004 ( myspace huge example ) , peaked at 2006 , and then died at 2008 when no news WHATSOEVER was coming out of the genre and nu bubble gum pop/ nu disco was comming in .

I kinda count goths as the original emo scene ( alot of them that I met are very smart ) and I havent heard anything about them since 2007.
Yeah I guess it depends on the region, where I'm from it started to die off in 08' but it wasn't completely dead till atleast 2012

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yeah I guess it depends on the region, where I'm from it started to die off in 08' but it wasn't completely dead till atleast 2012
Really ? cause I lived in central jersey and it died at 2008 along with alternative

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Emo/Scene was around until just a few years ago, I definitely remember them in 2009 and 2010, although I think the heyday was over. They seem to have been absorbed by the faux quirky social media hipsterish Tumblr subculture now though, having replaced one annoyance for another imo. But they were still present at least the majority of my high school year (ended in 2013) and they almost seem to be coming back in former hot spots. I still see self proclaimed goths though.

·
Registered
532 Posts
emo dominated 00s. Emo ended in late 00s. I cant accurately say which year coz its not a sudden death. Hipsters appeared in late 00s and peaked in 2012. Both culture has a back roots in 80s

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Late 00's.

I mean you can enjoy any style you like, and any band can stick around, but it's not a scene anymore, it hasn't been a thing for at least five years, I would say.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
emo dominated 00s. Emo ended in late 00s. I cant accurately say which year coz its not a sudden death. Hipsters appeared in late 00s and peaked in 2012. Both culture has a back roots in 80s
I think hipster and screamo culture more accurately began in the early 90s. There was this sort of "art school" thing going on in the 80s, I saw Human League around 00, and they did this performance art thing. And that pretty much sums up what was so cool about the 80s for me, the artsy/modern dance/New Wave/wearing black thing...so much less than the preppy stuff, which is ok but mainly makes me think of wearing monogram sweaters in 2nd grade with loafers or keds, and then the whole rock or metal scene which I was way too young for (but also too old to form a deep unconscious attachment)...college radio and underground stuff did start in the late 80s in response to increasingly corporate radio, but still...hipster culture seems very early to mid 90s in its origins. In my opinion/experience. Maybe someone who is older knows better, but it mostly mirrors the 90s. ..electronic music, electropop all of that has roots in the 80s. I actually had a really disturbing revelation when I watched Party Monster the 2nd time, that the whole party kid narcissistic New York 80s scene only reared a mainstream ugly head like fifteen years later in Gen Y with You Tube stars, reality shows, rampant narcissism...it actually kind of gives me chills because none of that shit was MAINSTREAM when we were kids, but it was the polluted cultural unconscious, the future.

·
Electronica Wizard
ISFP
6,709 Posts
Emo has never died since Edgar Ellen Poe. It's just that nowadays, their latest fetish is EDM.. Yup colourful stuffs and a lot of dancing, so must be happy and not emotional. :laughing:

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
It never died, not really. They just kind of morphed into hipsters/indie kids haha.
Yes and no. No. There isn't a specific emo scene. I mean you can prefer to see it as one long morph, but it's not. Emo is dead as anything fresh or relevant to youth, but like any art form, you can hold it in your heart every day for twenty years. But as a SCENE, it's gone. One long morph might link any counter culture movement, but to go that extreme would be to link emo to goth, which isn't a stretch, now that I think about it, emo probably goes back to the 80s with goth (wrong about this a few hours ago!)...but then where? It's too emotional and sensitive to link to punk. You could link it to No Wave, an atonal underground late 70s response to New Wave, but then to what? Maybe Baroque pop? But what in between and before? The person who tried to link emo directly back to Poe must be exaggerating, though indirectly there's a link .

There are so many styles of hipsters it's really not accurate to say. I used to be into emo, more so, and my nephew even liked it in middle school. I guess he's one of those Gen Z meta ironic nerds or something now.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Emo has never died since Edgar Ellen Poe. It's just that nowadays, their latest fetish is EDM.. Yup colourful stuffs and a lot of dancing, so must be happy and not emotional. :laughing:
...that's nothing to do with emo, that's like rave culture which is an entirely different subculture spanning back at least 25 years.

·
Electronica Wizard
ISFP
6,709 Posts
...that's nothing to do with emo, that's like rave culture which is an entirely different subculture spanning back at least 25 years.
It's okay. I'm just fooling around because I find it funny that people take their emo-ness or whatever subculture they are partaking seriously unless there is an interest in the history of it which is okay. However I have been aware that that the emo scene has been subdued these days.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts