Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of people say that 1999 should belong to the 00s, but I disagree. I think the 90s would encompass at least the year 2000 and were in fact influential as late as 2005! I'd say the 90s gradually ended between 2001 and 2003 as an 'era' even if the decade rolled off the calendar on 1/1/00.

I can't tell a huge difference between the early 00s and the late 90s, and TV shows from the 90s didn't look old or noticeably dated until the late 00s.

·
Wielding the mafia banhammer
1,514 Posts
September 11, 2001. There was a definite shift in worldview afterwards. I don't know how to define it, not really-- an awareness, maybe? A little fear, a little anger, a search for meaning? It didn't show up immediately; tv and movies are made well in advance, so the change isn't as noticeable until late 2002/early 2003.

But I would say that's the primary source of what change there was.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
2003-4 when the Internet became more mainstream; beginning the cycle of conditional friendships and temporary friendships.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
I feel like the 90s felt quite similar to the 00s, with the exception that technology was still abound. September 11, 2001 was monumental, but what marks our gen is the technological advancement.

I have to say about 2007-2008. Along with Barack Obama, the landscape of pop music changed from R&B to electronic, HD televisions and other microelectronics were staples instead of rare luxuries, and there started to be an overall divergene in pretty much everything.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I feel like the 90s felt quite similar to the 00s, with the exception that technology was still abound. September 11, 2001 was monumental, but what marks our gen is the technological advancement.

I have to say about 2007-2008. Along with Barack Obama, the landscape of pop music changed from R&B to electronic, HD televisions and other microelectronics were staples instead of rare luxuries, and there started to be an overall divergene in pretty much everything.
This, with the 2007 credit crunch also marking the end of economic optimism in the Western hemisphere. For us in the UK, the 90's pretty much ran into the 00's.

Reactions: donnie darko

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This, with the 2007 credit crunch also marking the end of economic optimism in the Western hemisphere. For us in the UK, the 90's pretty much ran into the 00's.
yes, I feel like we should be talking about a Millennial era that began around ~92 and ended around ~07. Or maybe even as wide as ~89 to ~08.

·
Registered
76 Posts
For me, the 90's ended on January 1st, 2000. 8^D

No, but seriously, for me there was kind of a mixture to ease us out of the 90's and into the 00's. I think it was the same for the 80's vs. 90's.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I feel like it ended around 2002-2004ish, I stopped playing with my Nintendo 64 around then and moved on to the Game Cube, the mainstream music was definitely gearing itself away from the alt rock of the previous decade to more electronic dance music, everything just felt a lot different after that two year period.

·
Registered
47 Posts
December 31, 1999.

Obviously some 00s-type things started creeping in even as early as 1997 (internet, better technology, boy bands/teen pop), but it wasn't until 2003 or even 04 that we were firmly in the 00s.

So I'd like to even it out just consider its calendar end to be the end.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
When I started high school. In other words, late 2001.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I feel like it ended around 2002-2004ish, I stopped playing with my Nintendo 64 around then and moved on to the Game Cube, the mainstream music was definitely gearing itself away from the alt rock of the previous decade to more electronic dance music, everything just felt a lot different after that two year period.
I can agree with this. Once I got my Gamecube on Christmas of 2002, moved to Texas the following year, and the Iraq War started, by then it really felt like another era. There was still a bit of that 'extreme' attitude and laid back feeling though that lasted as late as 2005.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I'd say the 90s ended when the internet went from being a mostly introvert space to being a way for extroverts to constantly be in touch with their 12000 friends. So I'd say somewhere between Myspace and Facebook.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Defining a decade is hard because culture is much more fluid than our constructs of time. For example, I think the early 90s are pretty different than the late 90s. For me, I'd say the 90s began in 1989 and ended in 1997. The 2000s began in 1998. By late 90s, grunge was being replaced by post-grunge and boy bands and girl bands, which would dominate in the 2000s. Grunge fashion was replaced by a more orange pants and frosted tips or preppy khakis and polos. By the end of the 90s, the Disney Renaissance was waning. Even Pocahontas, released as 1995, was not received as well as Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and Lion King. Windows 98 replaced Windows 95 in, well, 1998. The Dot-com bubble began around 1997, spawning a new era of the internet. The overall attitude toward the internet began changing in the late 1990s. In the early 1990s, we have hacker culture and cyberpunk culture, which sees the internet as a free playground. We even have Timothy Leary calling the internet the new LSD. But by the late 1990s, the internet is perceived as a business opportunity. Anime was becoming mainstream in the West--among kids anyway... especially after the introduction of Pokemon in 1998.

I don't know. That's just how I perceive it.

Reactions: donnie darko

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think part of what makes it hard is the fact that our perceptions change over time.

For example, back when 2000 began, I thought we entered a new era. Things seemed so modern and cool and I was just starting to become familiar with pop culture without my parent's influence. We had the internet. The Backstreet boys, nsync, Britney spears, Christina aguilera all seemed so slick and modern.

I had little idea what the rest of that decade would be like especially since I was only 9-10 years old in 2000. But these days, when I look back to the year 2000, everything still seems so 90s. It sure didn't seem that way back then but it does now in retrospect.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I think that the 90s were defined as the era of prosperity, peace and new IT and internet technologies after the end of the Cold War.

That feeling lasted till about 1998. From 1999 onwards, there was a sense of Y2k crisis, bombings of Iraq, Yemen and Sudan and just a general shift from the easy going attitudes of the prosperous and plentiful 1990s and shift of attention towards the "new millennium".

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'd say the 90s ended when the internet went from being a mostly introvert space to being a way for extroverts to constantly be in touch with their 12000 friends. So I'd say somewhere between Myspace and Facebook.
So that would be around 2006, anyways according to Kurt Anderson the last 20 years have not differed much compared to 20 years prior to that, the difference between 1973 and 1953 is huge for instance but is there significant stylistic differences between 1993 and 2013.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts