Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello lady's and gentleman I was wondering when you guys/girls found out you acted different then others in school or maybe your current job. What did you do that others didn't. What did they do that you couldn't understand.

·
Banned
2,116 Posts
Hello lady's and gentleman I was wondering when you guys/girls found out you acted different then others in school or maybe your current job.
As a teenager I started becoming more social and realized I was wired very differently from other people.

What did you do that others didn't.
Read encyclopedias, didn't want to leave the house to go places, didn't care to do things/just wanted to understand how to do them, etc.

What did they do that you couldn't understand.
Well, dating and socializing have never made a whole lot of sense to me. My socializing has always had some kind of purpose, be it a shared interest or burning energy. ...and dating a hormonal pubescent female of the most violent, histrionic species in existence didn't exactly appeal to me.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly the same with me except I noticed it before my teens and replaced reading encyclopedias with playing video games.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I knew I was different pretty early on, but I didn't really know how different until more recently.

Mainly, I would do a lot of self-educating. I don't actively search for social interaction. I suck at social interactions (though I've gotten better over the years). Y'know, the normal INTP stuff.

Other people are so different... Study, get worse grades, don't understand as quickly, are better at socializing, etc. Once again, something everyone can relate to. There are very few people I know that would freely read a 300 page essay on time, and the kids I do know who read "nerdy" non-fiction books tend to read mainstream stuff like The Elegant Universe. Dating so many people so quickly.

I have been in the same relationship for over a year now, and it's the only relationship I've ever been in. That's supposedly abnormal, but whatever.

I'm having a hard time translating my thoughts onto the page. There's a lot more going on in my head about how I'm different, as an INTP, but it's having a hard time coming out coherently. Ugh. They sound awesome though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
When I realised that people generally

- value group conformity over individual expression

- are obsessed with things I don't care about and vice versa

- are more concerned about results than the process of achieving those results

- value appearance over practicality

- value social life over personal development

What did you do that others didn't.

Hmm. Come to think of it, there is nothing that I do that no one else does. I guess I just have a wider variety of interests and different priorities.

What did they do that you couldn't understand.

I can understand most of what they do. I just don't agree with some of them.

·
Registered
141 Posts
In kindergarten, I felt like an old man masquerading as a 5 year old girl. That was a big tip-off.

Then, there are things that come out of other people's mouths. Early on, in order to understand and relate, I'd deconstruct it, analyze it, and find myself unable to arrive at a conceivable impulse that could ever motivate saying whatever it was.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Same as above, I was perceived as acting “maturely” for my age as a child. Before I was able to talk or walk properly my grandfather said I had the eyes of an old man(that could just be because I generally look sleepy)

My interests and thus curiosity were atypical as a child, my manner of communication with both children my own age and adults was atypical. It was mainly evident in communication with my peers, I couldn’t maintain friendships because our interests were too different and because at times we were almost using different dialects.
All in all it was apparent, at least to me, very early on.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
Pretty early. Probably when I started school. The feeling/rift only grew deeper and more pronounced as time passed.

Just went to my 25th reunion, and it reminded me of how little I have in common with the people I grew up with. There were barely any N's in my school, and probably the only INTP I knew (and I'm not totally sure on his type) was a german guy who showed up my senior year; we ended up sharing valedictorian, then I never saw him again.

School was pretty lonely. Between that and home, I felt like I really only had myself.

Reactions: Toska and RogueWave

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think I first realized it in first grade. I didn't view myself as smart. I just viewed everyone else as dumb. I remember during the spelling part of class, when the teacher asked a student to spell jumping, and I watched the other kid struggle through a misspelling of it while in my head I was screaming "Jay! Yoo! Em! Pee! I! En! Gee! What's so hard about that?" That, and I couldn't make friends, even though everyone else could incredibly easily. They eventually separated me from my class and told me to make storybooks and read to blind kids.

Then in late middle school and early high school, I became even more aware of how different I was. Teachers made a big deal out of my pleasure reading (St. Augustine, Goethe, Dostoevsky). No youth minister could keep up with my questions or give me satisfactory answers. Then my therapist at the time told me to take the MBTI, and even though I first tested INTJ, I knew that this explained everything.

·
Banned
478 Posts
When I built things that fascinated me and everyone else around me. I was in 3rd grade. I tried to build thing even before, but with much less success and no public viewing. People were fascinated that things I built could fly. I remember people knowing me, but I dont them.lol.

I never cared what others do. Even so rarely today. I would rather go in and try it myself.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I also realised this very early on, but the hints were often very subtle. And for a very long time, I thought I could change that. I believed I was simply suffering from something like social anxiety (which I probably did), and that when I conquered that, I would be like everyone else. I did conquer it, but was still different
It was only a few years ago (I am in my early thirties now) that I realised I am profoundly different in a lot of ways.

But I still find it hard to put my finger on it. Being smart and loving books (and not just chick-lit) might be unusual compared to the majority of people, but not actually very rare among the people in my surroundings.
For me it was more about the social dynamics, that there seemed to be certain rules that everyone knew but me and certain "acceptable" feelings that everyone had (or did not have) but me.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
The second I started to think consciously for myself, realizing how little I actually had, and still have in common with (ex) classmates.

I've always resonated best with peers far older than I, ranging from a decade to several.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I thought I was different because of my situation, not something inherent. I was shy, because I moved to a new town, I was afraid of getting close to a girl because my parents were divorced, etc. I never really thought it to be my unchangeable personality, I figured it was circumstances, and that eventually I'd snap out of it and I'd be just like everyone else (come out of my shell, late bloomer, that type of stuff). Now I'm here at 24, and while I am certainly much different that me in my teen years, the more I learn about MBTI and hear other INTP's perspectives, the more I can relate and realize that It's been me the whole time, no woe is me story explains my weirdness, I'm just weird (and I say that proudly now). I take everything way less serious, I'm not "worse" than anyone anymore, just different, I'm not right and they're not right, I just have to be right for ME. Knowledge is power too, I appreciate the relationships that I do have, even if most are shallow, I feel confident the vast majority of people who interact with me, like and respect me, I'm a good person, and I try to look at the good now rather than focus on the bad. (but damn do still need to fix some things :happy:)

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
As a teenager I started to understand the difference between me and ''them''

Can't believe that I once thought that everyone thought the same way as I did.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm also told I am old for my age =) better then being young for your age!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Even in kindergarten I marveled at how stupid the other kids were. How can you not to now to read and write? The older I get, the more differences I'm aware of between myself and other people.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
Even in kindergarten I marveled at how stupid the other kids were. How can you not to now to read and write? The older I get, the more differences I'm aware of between myself and other people.
Lol, I taught myself to write, all letters and numbers start at stubborn odd places and it makes my handwriting nearly unreadable nowadays.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just stating the obvious: From the data collected here it would seems to be that a certain amount of INTPs of the younger age tends to consider others stupid instead of them smart.

Any idea why is this is the case?

To answer the question though I doubt its relevancy: Starting from 13 years old. I live in a dormitory for my secondary education level and realized I did not function in similar fashion with my peers of roughly 150ish students. Except for 1.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts