Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everyone seem to hop on the bookworm bandwagon when they hit 18
but me i actually read a lot of books, some are educational, in my teens, and only stopped reading completely when i went to college, and everyone is like “you dont read books what a dumb bitch” :rolleyes:

·
Registered
49 Posts
i started reading non-fiction at 16. it was just more practical than reading novels and more interesting to read about theories, how things work etc.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I only started reading non-fic in uni, though I did come across some articles and essays before that that I loved reading. Its difficult to find the time and energy to learn new things if you are not in school.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
Around age 4 was when I began reading educational books, though I have always preferred reading educational stuff online or watching documentaries in comparison to reading educational books.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I would have started around 7 if there had been any books in my house. I just read whatever I could get my hands on: my older sister's textbooks, college-level English lit I could barely understand, the dictionary, etc.

·
Banned
17,616 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yes, as soon as I could read too. I was a late reader, at about 7. Then I had encyclopedias and loads of wonderful books, fiction as well - and I haven't really stopped since.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I don't read books. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mostly cause I'm a cheapskate. I was a reader when I was in school though, and when I did read it was always fiction. I started reading educational books probably as soon as I was able to read because that's what my parents gave me at the time. I loved my books back then my favorite one was about ancient egyptians, their religion and how they mummified the dead. Good ole hooked rod up the nose to remove the brains and but you gotta leave the heart. I also had this huge notebook with all the scientific classifications of various animals that I loved.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Besides like kids picture books and school books or fiction, I think I started reading educational books around the age of 9 or 10. I used to read the dictionary when i was bored and look for dirty words.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Ha I love this. I was a voracious reader as a kid. I would read the whole Lit book at the beginning of school, hide in the closet at night with the light on reading, did Battle of the Books, etc. I was reading educational books as young as I can remember - with a doctor and teacher for parents, I always had slews of picture learning books on everything from anatomy to weather to the Bible.

After college I slacked off a bit, meanwhile it seems like everyone has joined book clubs or posts book reviews on social media. I am genuinely happy for them finding books they enjoy and getting satisfaction and fulfillment from them, and I've been back to reading a few myself. Still - "I've read 15 books so far this year!" - bitch, look, I read that many books my first half of 2nd grade, damn.

·
Beer Guardian
PerC Host, ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE
15,044 Posts
I started reading such books as a teenager and I have yet to stop. I still read a mix of fiction and non-fiction. Stop reading? I'd sooner stop breathing!

·
Registered
104 Posts
i did it because i wanted to expand my knowledges in my professional area, so i needed to start reading educational books, i bought some of them and every evening i was trying to read at least one page more

·
Registered
522 Posts
When I was a kid I used to be really into science especially the ocean. I liked read books about the ocean and sea creatures. I think I was about 9.

·
Banned
2,345 Posts
3rd grade. Maybe my personality solidified in third grade. Before then I was dance, sing, act, etc. I started studying my grandfather's adult literature on the Bolshevik revolution, ghosts, and America. He left his non fiction available to me freely without pressure but I had world news since I was born. And documentaries. I was also raised on PBS. Raise kids on PBS if you show them television at all. My grandparents were so smart for a housewife and a civil engineer. I applaud them for raising me.

No T.V. morning or night. Radio or silence. Limited PBS. One television in the living room no technology in bedrooms. Sitcoms and so forth in weekends, which is when I remember commercials, on weekends.

·
Banned
2,345 Posts
Besides like kids picture books and school books or fiction, I think I started reading educational books around the age of 9 or 10. I used to read the dictionary when i was bored and look for dirty words.
The most intense things educationally I remember from my childhood were reading the encyclopedia (even at ten I thought this was delightfully eccentric in a proud way) and horror movies. When I was little it was still odd enough especially among religious people. My neighborhood best friend also liked horror. Her father was a photographer who collected horror stuff.

Reactions: Penny

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
When I was a kid I was obsessed with dogs and animals so I would ask my mom to buy me dog breed dictionaries. I had several and I'd read them obsessively and imagine I had specific breeds as pets (invisible/imaginary pets). Also anytime I'd go to the library I'd rent books about specific dog breeds and books like "how to care for your parakeet" "how to care for your turtle" "how to train your dog". I didn't grow out of this phase until I was 12 or 13, then I switched to horror and thriller novels mostly that i read all the time in school to the point that I'd get yelled at in class because I never wanted t0 do work.

TLDr as a child and young adult i read all the time, as a mid 20s person I don't as much or at all really unless I'm traveling

1 - 20 of 22 Posts