Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a few things about types becoming their reversed functions in certain situations and I was wondering under what circumstances do ISTJs use their functions in reverse to act like an ENFP. Is it stressed induced or is it something that we get to with maturity? Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
For me, its stressed induced primarily. If I have a project due for work or school in a couple days and can't figure out how to start it myself, I tend to become a negative time bomb just waiting to go off and tend to make decisions on the spur of the moment in order to progress the issue(project). It often leads me to ask others for help, even if it involves cheating sometimes to help me get along :blushed:.This only happens under massive amounts of stress, though, and I tend to remain calm and logical in most situations even under a tiny bit of stress.

Reactions: Structural and niss

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Diligence nailed this one. We don't become the typical ENFP, we become the negative version. But this is only under extreme stress.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Thank you for the responses. If I am not mistaken, I believe that we can also become an ESTP under extreme stress. How do we distinguish between what causes the two?
We can become like an ESTP if we begin operating out of our shadow functions. The jury is still out on this one, though.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read the article titled "Triggering a Shadow Episode" which explained that we become ESTP triggered by our use of Ne under extreme stress. So I am wondering how we become ENFP (what triggers it) and is it just under normal stress and not extreme stress?

Or, did you mean that there is still debate over which one we become and we don't know yet?

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I read the article titled "Triggering a Shadow Episode" which explained that we become ESTP triggered by our use of Ne under extreme stress. So I am wondering how we become ENFP (what triggers it) and is it just under normal stress and not extreme stress?

Or, did you mean that there is still debate over which one we become and we don't know yet?
Ne is our inferior function, so it is a shadow function for an ESTP. It is the dominant function for an ENFP. An ISTJ will typically become more comfortable using Ne after they mature--somewhere around 35-40 years old. When under stress, we tend to act like an ENFP with issues.

The jury is still out on the shadow functions and how and ISTJ might resemble an ESTP in the use of those functions.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
what is an ENFP with issues like ?
You need to observe yourself objectively as you see yourself becoming stressed...watch how your world begins to unravel and pay particular close attention to your motivations--they are a key element.

The ISTJ deals with stress by attempting to exercise great control over everyone and everything around them. They take micro managing to a whole new level. At this point they are exacting, negative, and critical. The classic "no one can do anything right" and "I am surrounded by fools and incompetents" type individual. Often this will lead to others avoiding them and abandoning them and any projects that they may be working on as a group. This in turn leads to a feeling of being abandoned in the ISTJ, which gives place to indignation and anger, and a feeling of "I will do this just to show them." Of course, eventually this house of cards topples and the ISTJ can no longer keep up with the demands of the project so tasks begin to fall through the cracks and things are left undone, and people begin to notice that the usually dependable ISTJ is becoming a flake. So they become like an ENFP that might flit from topic to topic or issue to issue, dropping people and missing appointments along the way. The difference is that the ENFP is truly trying to get it all done and doesn't intend to drop anything, and is loving and has the best intentions--also they see the possibilities in every situation. However, the ISTJ is morose, sullen, and taciturn, seeing only negative outcomes and predicting failure at every turn. They often will know that they are dropping people, but will become flippant about it.

We can be quite neurotic if we truly are depressed.

·
Registered
272 Posts
thank you for descrbing step by step my depression XD this sound so EXACTLY like it went i mean the im surrounded by fing retard with no sense of logic i have to say i was angry at the other especially my parent for not trying to understand me i did try to show them but i wasnt really trying because i tought in the end they would deny what i made i was indeed missing my appointement with my psy because i didnt felt like going or tought it was useless there was nothing that i felt the need to do

·
Registered
179 Posts
what is an ENFP with issues like ?

As an ENFP, I welcome you to visit the ENFP threads, then you'll see what "issues" we ENFP's have! :confused:

Have a great day!

SirDude

·
Registered
179 Posts
You need to observe yourself objectively as you see yourself becoming stressed...watch how your world begins to unravel and pay particular close attention to your motivations--they are a key element.

The ISTJ deals with stress by attempting to exercise great control over everyone and everything around them. They take micro managing to a whole new level. At this point they are exacting, negative, and critical. The classic "no one can do anything right" and "I am surrounded by fools and incompetents" type individual. Often this will lead to others avoiding them and abandoning them and any projects that they may be working on as a group. This in turn leads to a feeling of being abandoned in the ISTJ, which gives place to indignation and anger, and a feeling of "I will do this just to show them." Of course, eventually this house of cards topples and the ISTJ can no longer keep up with the demands of the project so tasks begin to fall through the cracks and things are left undone, and people begin to notice that the usually dependable ISTJ is becoming a flake. So they become like an ENFP that might flit from topic to topic or issue to issue, dropping people and missing appointments along the way. The difference is that the ENFP is truly trying to get it all done and doesn't intend to drop anything, and is loving and has the best intentions--also they see the possibilities in every situation. However, the ISTJ is morose, sullen, and taciturn, seeing only negative outcomes and predicting failure at every turn. They often will know that they are dropping people, but will become flippant about it.

Niss63,

Do people avoid or abandon others in times like these because that person is turning into a mean person or just because they are not useful, etc to the team anymore?

About a month ago I read a short article talking about how unemployed people tend to lose a lot of their friends. This has pretty much come true for me since losing my business. At one time I was part of a small community, but as soon as I got hurt and was no longer employing people or providing my services, most of the people that referred to me as being like "family" stopped calling or caring if I was doing ok. Just for the record, I did not become mean or lash out an anyone. I just became useless to the community.

Have a great day!

SirDude

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thank you niss. I see that it looks like this is Ne at work. However, I am still not convinced that we act like ENFPs under stress. My Ne-Fi seems to cause the stress much like how you described and then my shadow functions tend to come out where I will start using my under developed Se and Ti. At least, this is my experience with stress. However, I don't know much about the ENFP personality and how they might act as underdeveloped.

This is the article I was referring to that made me think about the functions and how I used them during stress: http://personalitycafe.com/articles/29576-triggering-shadow-episode.html

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Niss63,

Do people avoid or abandon others in times like these because that person is turning into a mean person or just because they are not useful, etc to the team anymore?

About a month ago I read a short article talking about how unemployed people tend to lose a lot of their friends. This has pretty much come true for me since losing my business. At one time I was part of a small community, but as soon as I got hurt and was no longer employing people or providing my services, most of the people that referred to me as being like "family" stopped calling or caring if I was doing ok. Just for the record, I did not become mean or lash out an anyone. I just became useless to the community.

Have a great day!

SirDude
I don't think your an ISTJ for that judgment to have been about you.

Watch out Niss you keep this up and you'll get more gag orders. :crazy: No, but seriously people are too sensitive and should just stay away from this(ISTJ) board.

I'm not so certain we actually summon our ENFP at those times, but lose faith what was established.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Niss63,

Have a great day!

SirDude
for myself i can tell i was unpleasent always negative etc etc

and for your buisness problem i can tell you that you were really naive to think they cared and considered you as a part of the family buisness dont mix with emotion that like 1 of the basic rule

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Niss63,

I think there is more than one reason people that become unemployed lose their friends.

One reason would be that they can enter into a deep depression and drive people away from themselves--which is what I was addressing when speaking of a depressed ISTJ.

Another would be a natural process of turn over or change of friends, due to a new life situation. Much like occurs when you have a group of buds that have been together for a while--all single and doing the single friends thing. Until one of you get married. Then its different, awkward, and you drift apart.

Similarly, when you lose your business, you are going to lose a lot of contacts with people because your lives no longer intersect comfortably. This is normal and you must roll with these punches. Don't try to exist in a vacuum, but fill your life with something resembling progress. New friends will be obtained and you will blossom in the new garden.

Now the ones that were "like family"...if they were truly like family then I would fight for them. I would be on their door step...finding things to do together. I mean it. There are some people in my life that I won't part with...and they are not blood related, but I am closer to them than I am all of my extended family.

HTH

1 - 20 of 34 Posts