Personality Cafe banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I don't think your an ISTJ for that judgment to have been about you.

Watch out Niss you keep this up and you'll get more gag orders. :crazy: No, but seriously people are too sensitive and should just stay away from this(ISTJ) board.

I'm not so certain we actually summon our ENFP at those times, but lose faith what was established.
Wake--You don't really want that. You want it to be so that people can come here and feel comfortable asking about ISTJs--who we are and what makes us tick.

For in doing so, they not only learn of us, but we learn of ourselves.

Many times, the questions of the student can shed light on the material, so that the teacher gains new perspective.

And hey, mentioning teachers and perspective, where's Sela? I'm needin' a fix.:wink:

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Thank you niss. I see that it looks like this is Ne at work. However, I am still not convinced that we act like ENFPs under stress. My Ne-Fi seems to cause the stress much like how you described and then my shadow functions tend to come out where I will start using my under developed Se and Ti. At least, this is my experience with stress. However, I don't know much about the ENFP personality and how they might act as underdeveloped.

This is the article I was referring to that made me think about the functions and how I used them during stress: http://personalitycafe.com/articles/29576-triggering-shadow-episode.html
Go back and read your link. Look at Lil Snowy's first post. The one where she talks about how she becomes an ISTJ, but in a negative sense when stressed. We do the exact same thing, but in reverse, becoming an ugly form of an ENFP. I have seen this so many times in various people. Stress reverses our order, making us act like a deformed version of our opposite function order.

ESTPs OTOH, are the same order, but reversed energy, so they represent our shadow functions. Whether or not we use our shadow functions under stress (stress=anger/similar emotions) is under discussion. Personally, I don't see it. However, I do see us using those shadow functions under a different kind of stress, where stress is brought on by a need to function differently for very short term to accomplish a specific goal. I have seen myself become very ESTPish in this manner to accomplish a specific task--one for which my normal ISTJ functions would have been difficult.

HTH

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
for myself i can tell i was unpleasent always negative etc etc

and for your buisness problem i can tell you that you were really naive to think they cared and considered you as a part of the family buisness dont mix with emotion that like 1 of the basic rule
No...I'd disagree. Business, done properly, includes emotional ties and people that feel like family.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think there is more than one reason people that become unemployed lose their friends.

One reason would be that they can enter into a deep depression and drive people away from themselves--which is what I was addressing when speaking of a depressed ISTJ.

Another would be a natural process of turn over or change of friends, due to a new life situation. Much like occurs when you have a group of buds that have been together for a while--all single and doing the single friends thing. Until one of you get married. Then its different, awkward, and you drift apart.

Similarly, when you lose your business, you are going to lose a lot of contacts with people because your lives no longer intersect comfortably. This is normal and you must roll with these punches. Don't try to exist in a vacuum, but fill your life with something resembling progress. New friends will be obtained and you will blossom in the new garden.

Now the ones that were "like family"...if they were truly like family then I would fight for them. I would be on their door step...finding things to do together. I mean it. There are some people in my life that I won't part with...and they are not blood related, but I am closer to them than I am all of my extended family.

HTH

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to share your thoughts.

And Niss, what you wrote does sound more like what happened in my case. I went from being on the same level financially and socially to not being the same as them and we drifted apart. So in the end, they really weren't true friends if that's all it took for them to turn their backs. Thanks!

Reactions: niss

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Wake--You don't really want that. You want it to be so that people can come here and feel comfortable asking about ISTJs--who we are and what makes us tick.

For in doing so, they not only learn of us, but we learn of ourselves.

Many times, the questions of the student can shed light on the material, so that the teacher gains new perspective.

And hey, mentioning teachers and perspective, where's Sela? I'm needin' a fix.:wink:
Perhaps I thought he was being emotional earlier in the paragraph when he may not have. I don't appreciate when people to take things personal when they weren't aimed that way. Maybe I was wrong and I'm sorry. I have bad experiences with my sister scolding me "thats cruel or rude and think of others feelings" when I had no intentions of going there with people. So I react in a negative fashion when people show their heart ache as if you are just contributing to it with the words you say, when you had no intentions of going there.

Apparently your logic did lead to stressed ISTJ now equals ENFP acting that way, and I was wrong for not connecting those dots, as I didn't see eye-to-eye with the theory up to that point.

then came his reaction I thought at the time was uncalled for.
It was probably foolish of me to act in that manner, and sorry again.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hih I become an ugly form of an ISTJ when I'm stressed... "ALL THE LITTLE THINGS MATTER AND WHY IS THERE THIS BREAD-CRUMB ON THE DESK WHEN I JUST CLEANED. AND YOU ARRIVED AT 4:06 WHEN I SAID 4PM, DO YOU THINK I"M GONNA WAIT FOR YOU FOR 6 MIINUTES!?" Entirely un-ENFP like ;). But only under extreme stress and more when I was a teenager...I've learned to deal with my stressed-self now :)

An example of an ISTJ becoming ENFP-like under stress: My ISTJ uncle had to clean out an attic once, and he got so stressed about it that he became "spontaneous" and instead of sorting through all the stuff diligently like he would normally, he picked it all up, threw it all out, dusted his hands, and looked sheepish. :D

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Hih I become an ugly form of an ISTJ when I'm stressed... "ALL THE LITTLE THINGS MATTER AND WHY IS THERE THIS BREAD-CRUMB ON THE DESK WHEN I JUST CLEANED. AND YOU ARRIVED AT 4:06 WHEN I SAID 4PM, DO YOU THINK I"M GONNA WAIT FOR YOU FOR 6 MIINUTES!?" Entirely un-ENFP like ;). But only under extreme stress and more when I was a teenager...I've learned to deal with my stressed-self now :)

An example of an ISTJ becoming ENFP-like under stress: My ISTJ uncle had to clean out an attic once, and he got so stressed about it that he became "spontaneous" and instead of sorting through all the stuff diligently like he would normally, he picked it all up, threw it all out, dusted his hands, and looked sheepish. :D
I suppose breaking of rules and principles would be considered a step in that direction. I think we go dogmatic in our ways as we cling to what we know to be "right" and thats very un-ENFP like.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I tend to act really ENFP..y when I go out and be social (Yeah, I'm not near as introverted as my personality test says). Not exactly sponateous (but a little), but lots of quick comments and whatnot. I try to be what the people around me what me to be...I think. :unsure:

·
Registered
582 Posts

Thanks for posting that, I was wondering what ENFP would be like when stressed as an ISTJ, sounds about right too.

As for me when I'm stressed I become an INFP, and I get depressed rather easily. Luckily my ISTJ subconscious keeps me from being self destructive when I'm like that.

Reactions: Sela and niss

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I wonder why we become into an ENFP under stress?

I read through everything and this was my experience. I thought about and analyzed how I behaved under stress. When I am under stress, I tend to start panicking and of course become extroverted (more of a complaining, whining, critcising extrovert). My usual neatness goes outside the window and I begin to procrastinate due to pressure. Also, I begin to act more S like as well (but that's because I am an INTJ as well). What I also do, however, is start critising everyone- not thinking of how it could affect them negatively i.e. offend them/ hurt them. I don't think that's very F like. Does that mean I turn into an ESTP?

If so, as I read, a lot of ISTJ's do a similar thing in terms of critising when under stress. Does that mean you become more ENTPish? I guess I am a bit confused (Still trying to catch on to all the Fe, Fi, Ne, Ni......, etc.)

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I wonder why we become into an ENFP under stress?

I read through everything and this was my experience. I thought about and analyzed how I behaved under stress. When I am under stress, I tend to start panicking and of course become extroverted (more of a complaining, whining, critcising extrovert). My usual neatness goes outside the window and I begin to procrastinate due to pressure. Also, I begin to act more S like as well (but that's because I am an INTJ as well). What I also do, however, is start critising everyone- not thinking of how it could affect them negatively i.e. offend them/ hurt them. I don't think that's very F like. Does that mean I turn into an ESTP?

If so, as I read, a lot of ISTJ's do a similar thing in terms of critising when under stress. Does that mean you become more ENTPish? I guess I am a bit confused (Still trying to catch on to all the Fe, Fi, Ne, Ni......, etc.)
Remember, it is ENFP, but an ugly version. We become very verbose in our criticism of everyone and everything around us--which is not an S trait. We become more ENFPish--outgoing, leaping to conclusions, not seeking closure, feeling everything and not any of it good.

·
Banned
207 Posts
Remember, it is ENFP, but an ugly version. We become very verbose in our criticism of everyone and everything around us--which is not an S trait. We become more ENFPish--outgoing, leaping to conclusions, not seeking closure, feeling everything and not any of it good.
Yes, and also you guys start dancing naked to the macarena. :unsure:

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Yes, and also you guys start dancing naked to the macarena. :unsure:
Noooo...

That's when we become very critical of you and all the mistakes we believe you are making while dancing naked to the macarena.:laughing:

·
Banned
56 Posts
For me, its stressed induced primarily. If I have a project due for work or school in a couple days and can't figure out how to start it myself, I tend to become a negative time bomb just waiting to go off and tend to make decisions on the spur of the moment in order to progress the issue(project). It often leads me to ask others for help, even if it involves cheating sometimes to help me get along :blushed:.This only happens under massive amounts of stress, though, and I tend to remain calm and logical in most situations even under a tiny bit of stress.
I can't see the ENFP in here!!!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts