Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I apologize if I hesitate to integrate fully into this community. There are reasons. However, if you could help me better understand my personality type (i.e., whoever is bored enough to read through all this, and yet not bored enough to bullshit their interpretation), I'd be secretly really happy, and could perhaps address these reasons more systematically.

My own guesses will be saved for after these questions. Forgive me if I do not elaborate on some of the academic material that I use as evidence, and if I get carried away with it.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I spend the majority of my life inside my head, which means, insofar as personality describes behaviors that emerge socially, I do not necessarily have the proper stock of experiences that could serve as evidence. That, compounded with the physiological changes that occur when I engage in active social interaction, especially ones that expose my intellectual incompetence, might screw around with the manifestation of "cognitive functions".

In brief: the personality seems to manifest differently depending on mental and physiological state. I've considered that this could be analyzed in terms of the state of stress, but I don't have the theoretical grasp of the dynamics of expression of cognitive function to perform such an analysis.
2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
Right now, I've been feeling lonely, and would love to find a counterpart that could join me in creating something: a shared sense of understanding, for example. I've never allowed myself to get close to a woman, even when she drops hints left and right (or in front, as it may be). I am not mature enough for that. In life as a whole (constrained by the practical necessities of mortality), I yearn for the ability to instantaneously comprehend any situation, to have the charisma necessary to influence it, the wisdom to know which knowledge is adequate and which is superfluous, and the sense of purpose that could guide this ability.

I envy those who can make a group of people laugh: they seem to be completely present and capable of creating a potent symbolic formulation which causes a real transformation in the audience's physiological states, extracted from the knowledge of the situation itself. This demonstrates intellectual and social power to me.
3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
The closest thing that comes to mind would be the feeling I get when I am reading a text and pulling connections from the ether. As I said, and perhaps this is symptomatic, I only feel at my finest when I am in a certain mental state.

I need to be more specific, but I can only think of an intellectual example. Recently, while going through Lacan's treatment of the "mirror stage" I seemed to intuit connections to other situations, without necessarily tracing them fully. E.g, perhaps the birth of a nation, as it comes to consciousness and formulates its own identity (the "we" function), also undergoes a mirror stage, where it compares itself to another nation and forms an ego-ideal at the cultural level. The components of comparison would be material and statistical, rather than the bodily configuration that the infant witnesses in its mirror reflection.

I tend to have several possible lines of thought in mind, but I never feel like I have the energy to trace them as fully as I'd like (I am in college, majoring in anthropology, and I have to juggle multiple theories and models at a time). If I could give an analogy, it would be like a dye dropping into water, groping frantically at all sides rather
than sinking to the bottom. Or maybe a catch-the-cash machine.
4) What makes you feel inferior?
Inability to articulate my thoughts coherently; inability to be fully present. Inability to bond with others. Inability to focus to completion.
5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I'm indecisive. When I do make decisions, they can seem to be the outcome of a rational process, but rationality would only be the formulation of a decision I made based on feeling. Majoring in anthropology, for someone who cannot bond with humans, is not the most rational decision, and yet, that's what I've chosen to pursue. I pretend it's because I like to write, and would like to create an ethnography, but really, that's not quite it...
6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
I'll use a single example, an Enneagram presentation for a personal ethics class I am taking in college. My partner and I (supposedly Type 5) decided to create skits demonstrating certain stereotypes of the type. Our emphasis was simply creating entertaining content, but I ended up generating most of the ideas. I'll trace one of them: I began with the simple idea of a newscast reporting a Type 5 sighting, which later became a sort of "out in the wilderness hunting for a Type 5" situation. But I found one of those "searching for the paranormal" shows, and realized we could frame it as a "paranormal" sighting (since the Type 5 is stereotyped to be elusive). Once I had the idea firmly set, I wrote the skit in less than an hour, setting it in a library, using books as a sort of crumb trail leading to a dead end where the Type 5 would be waiting. Creativity mattered more than control of outcome.
7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
I actually have a hard time finding one. "Fun" is an emotion I associate with playing with friends in childhood. Since, for personal reasons, I haven't allowed myself to temporarily regress into childishness (i.e., to get drunk and party) I have therefore not recently experienced fun.

Actually, though, in connection with question 6: I had fun performing in front of class. That did require a regression state, acting goofy and disinhibited. I certainly felt goofy, so it wasn't an act.
8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
I try to connect ideas with other ideas. Going through Bergson's work "Creative Evolution", I try to connect his argument about the insufficiency of mechanical theories of life with, for example, Obeyesekere's argument for a hermeneutical-circular approach to anthropology, one which constantly rearticulates and reformulates its terms of understanding. Recently, however, I have been practicing imposing constraints, because I can get carried away before I firmly grasp the arguments' nuances. This would be "hands on" in its own way, I suppose, and maybe a latent desire for Te?
9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
Scattered in mind, but organized in motion (e.g., I am habitual, I dress in the same shorts and sweater every day, cook the same foods for myself, when I need to clear my head I'll go for a walk).
10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
This assumes I judge them. For the most part, I accept them as starting points without judgment. However, this is probably a situational luxury: I don't have a particular "project" on the line which requires me to judge the validity of a theory against it, nor a social opponent against whom I might attempt to hone an idea.
11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
Being myself.
12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
I think before not speaking. One-to-one is preferable, so long as we have the flexibility (in time or in comfort) to define the situation together, rather than assert any agendas. This rarely happens.
13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I hold back. In line with question 1, I don't know if I have enough life evidence to answer this. But to answer this I'd have to qualify what we mean by "action".
14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
This has never happened. I suppose these would have to be very special people to be my friends, and would not have called me unless they thought the situation warranted a venture. So I'd go out with them.
15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I either sit down where nobody can find me and cry in self-persecution, or I pick up composing a tune or making pixel art or finishing a sketch that I've let go unfinished. Thus, some amount of hidden emotional expression and fantasy/art of a sensory rather than symbolic type (though I might write naive prose-poetry too...).

Also, if I'm in a dreamier or quasi-depressed mood, I sometimes get ideas for short stories while out walking, but I never actually write them. They're usually Italo Calvino-esque ideas: a sine wave who finds out her husband is only a Macclaurin approximation, and he starts to diverge; a person whose entire life mission is to be at a particular space in time, thinking a particuar set of thoughts (so as to manipulate the atoms in his brain), so that he could deflect, with his gravity, a comet that is heading to Earth; a guy who self-punishes because he knows he is a murderer in an alternate universe.
16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
When they don't seem genuine; when they are unwilling to adapt to the unfolding of a social interaction that may conflict with the agenda they had in mind.
17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
Ideas of symbolic anthropology and psychological anthropology, semiology; but I never feel like I grasp the concepts well enough to begin to talk.
18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?
How I come across to others; the depth of other peoples' lives (usually because I cannot allow myself to bond with them, even if I'd like to). Politics/pragmatics.
19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
Quiet, shy. They don't see me in classroom discussions, where I can launch into an intepretation of an idea without having to construct the preliminary understanding for them, since we've all read the same work. Also, I can be commanding and playful under the right circumstances. No one would say I am dominant or social, but I can be assertive when someone annoys me intellectually.
20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Keeping in mind I am a 21-year-old male, I'll list the "other" activity I'd feel like doing: go to a cafe and read a book. Take a nap in the grass. But that's pretty much what I do already.
Personal guesses:
The only results I've gotten in tests have been INTJ and INFP, but I resonate most with what I've read about INTP (with underdeveloped Ne). Yet, I've also considered ISTJ, and ISFP, because I have a hard time characterizing intuition vs. introverted sensation.

When I am speaking out loud, I apparently use extraverted intuition: when I was recently debating out loud a Christian's assertion that prosperity theology was wrong (because it focused on the material), I ended up, out of the blue, focusing on how God's decision to change peoples' names was, in effect, a corroboration of the role of material in marking a personal transformation. This was to say, the symbolic tends to have a material substrate, like a sound.

I was really just pissed off, because I try not to judge the ways that people experience spirituality, and this guy seemed to be doing just that. But later, when mulling over the interaction, I ended up coming up with other examples, the most obvious being Satan's third temptation of Christ, where the material body is at stake; I can't tell what function this would be when performed internally. And Si, from what I've read, seems like a sort of comparison with memory? If this intuition was really just a fitting of the situation to a recently learned theory, wouldn't that be Si? Real Ne, from what I gather, seeks to extend an idea beyond its immediate relations.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I couldn't get through it all, you made some pretty brutal reading, but I got a pretty big ISTJ vibe from the first 4 questions, and I read up to like 16.

Reactions: MrJaxon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hah, sorry for the pain. I'm not sure how to answer these questions, especially since we're dealing with patterns of thought. Do you have any advice on how to treat them less "brutally"?

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I would say INTJ - I definitely saw what looked like inferior Se here:

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I spend the majority of my life inside my head, which means, insofar as personality describes behaviors that emerge socially, I do not necessarily have the proper stock of experiences that could serve as evidence. That, compounded with the physiological changes that occur when I engage in active social interaction, especially ones that expose my intellectual incompetence, might screw around with the manifestation of "cognitive functions".
Here:

inability to be fully present.
Here:

How I come across to others
Although I do question your "inability to bond with others" as potentially being inferior Fe, although you answered another question that indicated Fi for you.

Reactions: MrJaxon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sorry, I tried to condense too much into those answers.

I have a counterexample, against INTJ: a guy crashed his bike. Stupid me left his bike in the road and walked up to him, offering him my cell-phone (don't ask why, for some reason that's what I thought he needed...). Another passerby moved the bike out of the way. I imagine an Ni dominant would have recognized the bike as remaining in the way of potential traffic (since it sees into the future, supposedly)? Of course, in future "crisis" scenarios I'll have a better idea of what to do, since now I have a model. Isn't this Si?

Thanks for mentioning inferior functions, though. Reading through the ISTJ's article on "Recognizing the Inferior Function", it sounds like a good enough fit, for my purposes.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
@MrJaxon

Nothing you're saying goes against you being an INTJ (that sounds like inferior Se got in the way of you noticing the bike). You gave away your type to an extent already. The functions are mental perspectives that constitute a personality structure, not actions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been trying to present examples of thoughts, not actions. When I mention, e.g., the process that I used to create a skit, or what happens when I read a book, or the way I handle a person who crashed his bike, I'm to an extent trying to illustrate the spontaneous reactions in the mind. But if I understand you correctly, a thought process should also be seen as an action?

What makes me think Si dominant is that for the most part, my "intuitions" are of the sort "this reminds of that other thing I read", rather than, "but if this is true, then this must be true too!". The processes of intuition seem to be described in terms of time: "future" oriented. To be reminded seems to align with the Si motion towards the past.

But that's only based on my limited readings so far, and I get the sense that I'd need to study the whole system to find out how all the functions operate, and where they operate beyond a single thought. Maybe you can help me find a better way to look at this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts