Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know when you are playing a video game, or you are watching a movie/tv show and something happens that is just unbelievable, unrealistic. Feel free to rant here.

I am watching Numb3rs episode Jack of All Trades. Season 5, episode 4, Larry and Amita do a reasonably believable, clarifying of the image reflected no the coffee mug. There attempt at taking a distorted image and focusing it seems very reasonable.

Of course Charlie, walks in after getting is Security Clearance back, gets on the computer for 5 seconds and creates perfect image. not just of the part of face clearly shown on the mug, but details (like hair and ears) that aren't on the mug (or at least we can't see them). If you pause it right before the image zooms in for the final clarity. that is as far as I am willing to believe. But once it zooms to create the absolute perfect picture, I am just like... what?

I think Charlie is a superhero. Math-Man.

·
Registered
963 Posts
every time it happens to me to whatch CSI I think exactly the SAME THING.
Pixels are pixels folks! if the camera is a digital one you can't add them!

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Technically it should be possible to do that, but it requires much more steps, and much more processing power. As long as something is a bit pixellated but still distinguishable, it's possible to add pixels that match what our minds make of the pixellated image. In the end it should be possible, but not like they are doing in shows.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That is an awesome parody. Unless that is a real show, in which case... wow!

edit: I just now got to the part with the mustache. awesome parody. Is it supposed to be a parody of Numb3rs because he kind of looks like Charlie

edit2: oh, the first watch it seemed random. but they enhanced it, zoomed in on the car window. enhanced the reflection on the window. and then started enhancing it further.

edit3: trying to follow the progression. did he zoom in to the window through the bushes by the guys arm? nvm. that was just filler. the zoomed int the second floor window above him

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
That is an awesome parody. Unless that is a real show, in which case... wow!

edit: I just now got to the part with the mustache. awesome parody. Is it supposed to be a parody of Numb3rs because he kind of looks like Charlie

edit2: oh, the first watch it seemed random. but they enhanced it, zoomed in on the car window. enhanced the reflection on the window. and then started enhancing it further.

edit3: trying to follow the progression. did he zoom in to the window through the bushes by the guys arm? nvm. that was just filler. the zoomed int the second floor window above him
I think it was a CSI parody.

·
Registered
369 Posts
You should have seen me watch that "Lucy" movie. Good lord. It put me in shock from science illiteracy overload.
I had to bite my lip the whole way through. Apparently it 'pisses off' my husband when I pointed out that the entire premise of the film was built upon a disproven hypothesis and then when it suggested that activating more of her brain would unlock psychic and telekinetic powers - I went back to my iPad and played killer sudoku furiously. I wouldn't mind, he's an INTJ how can he cope with this crud >.> at Scarlett Johansen.

Reactions: SilverKelpie

·
Registered
INTP
7,070 Posts
My dad says he hates American dramas because they have to spell out every little obvious thing in the script.

The particular time it riled him the most, such that he made a point to tell me, was when he was watching one where the main characters walked into some room which had been trashed or something, then one of them said, "He's been here."

I guess he's right. Pointlessly obvious lines of script which simply spell out the fucking obvious. It does detract from things a bit.

EDIT: Just realised this is a thread for hating on media productions defying reasonable science. Oh well... Fuck all media, rrrruuarrrrrrrr

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
My dad says he hates American dramas because they have to spell out every little obvious thing in the script.

The particular time it riled him the most, such that he made a point to tell me, was when he was watching one where the main characters walked into some room which had been trashed or something, then one of them said, "He's been here."

I guess he's right. Pointlessly obvious lines of script which simply spell out the fucking obvious. It does detract from things a bit.

EDIT: Just realised this is a thread for hating on media productions defying reasonable science. Oh well... Fuck all media, rrrruuarrrrrrrr
I don't watch many police dramas. Just Numb3rs, White Collar, and Lie to Me*. They are not really pointing the obvious. When you say that they are pointing out the obvious, you say it as if the writers are breaking the fourth wall for your benefit. Yes they might have written that line in the script for your benefit, but it is not breaking the fourth wall, it is not distracting. It is a very realistic thing for one of them to say. A group of people walks into a room that has been trashed, and somebody will state the obvious, thinking out loud.

I haven't seen CSI, and so forth, so I don't know. Maybe in those shows, they do get carried away.
Walk into a trashed room.
"You know what happened in here partner?"
"What"
"I've just figured it out!"
"What!"
"The bad guy was here!"
"What? Really? How Can you tell?"
"Well. you see the way the room is all messed up like this?"
"Yeah, so?"
"Well unless the person who lives here owns a gorilla, I'm pretty sure that he didn't do this to his own house."

Now that would be a pretty distracting example of a script that over explains. But what I have seen in shows is that they are not distracting, just realistic as far as what real people would say in those situations.
Now I do find most crime shows to be formulaic.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I had to bite my lip the whole way through. Apparently it 'pisses off' my husband when I pointed out that the entire premise of the film was built upon a disproven hypothesis and then when it suggested that activating more of her brain would unlock psychic and telekinetic powers - I went back to my iPad and played killer sudoku furiously. I wouldn't mind, he's an INTJ how can he cope with this crud >.> at Scarlett Johansen.
I'm pretty sure I was so overwhelmed that I exclaimed "That's not how evolution works!" (Followed by an explanation of why there is no hierarchy and how it actually works) and "That's not how the brain works!" (Followed by explanation) not only once, but several times over. And, I was still trying to restrain myself. Luckily my poor ENFJ SO is able to deal with my eccentricities.

·
Registered
INTP
7,070 Posts
I don't watch many police dramas. Just Numb3rs, White Collar, and Lie to Me*. They are not really pointing the obvious. When you say that they are pointing out the obvious, you say it as if the writers are breaking the fourth wall for your benefit. Yes they might have written that line in the script for your benefit, but it is not breaking the fourth wall, it is not distracting. It is a very realistic thing for one of them to say. A group of people walks into a room that has been trashed, and somebody will state the obvious, thinking out loud.

I haven't seen CSI, and so forth, so I don't know. Maybe in those shows, they do get carried away.
Walk into a trashed room.
"You know what happened in here partner?"
"What"
"I've just figured it out!"
"What!"
"The bad guy was here!"
"What? Really? How Can you tell?"
"Well. you see the way the room is all messed up like this?"
"Yeah, so?"
"Well unless the person who lives here owns a gorilla, I'm pretty sure that he didn't do this to his own house."

Now that would be a pretty distracting example of a script that over explains. But what I have seen in shows is that they are not distracting, just realistic as far as what real people would say in those situations.
Now I do find most crime shows to be formulaic.
Haha, maybe it's a cultural thing then.

Using the trashed room example, the classic British case would be:

<Enters trashed room>
"Oh, bollocks."

I also think sometimes story-telling is supposed to break away a bit from 'realism'. If a person enters a room and it's clearly trashed for an obvious reason, there's simply no need to tell the viewer. It just fluffs up the dialogue with needless baggage.

I guess every audience is different. Personally I can see the point my dad is making. Maybe others don't care though. As I said, possible cultural difference.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha, maybe it's a cultural thing then.

Using the trashed room example, the classic British case would be:

<Enters trashed room>

"Oh, bollocks."

I also think sometimes story-telling is supposed to break away a bit from 'realism'. If a person enters a room and it's clearly trashed for an obvious reason, there's simply no need to tell the viewer. It just fluffs up the dialogue with needless baggage.

I guess every audience is different. Personally I can see the point my dad is making. Maybe others don't care though. As I said, possible cultural difference.
yeah well sometimes that is all they say. I don't think your dad's point is typical of all American dramas. the ones I watch, they'll walk into the trashed room and say the american equivalent of bollocks, maybe followed by "I guess they got here first." they don't say the names. that would be overdoing it. I don't know. I prefer characters that are realistic. and to be honest, if i were an FBI agent and I walked in a room that had been trashed, I would say something along the lines of, they were here, they got here first, etc. it is just me thinking out loud.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.