Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always? When you're passionate about it? When you're most qualified? A lot of tests say always, but I don't feel that way. Maybe I'm an INTJ for that reason, but I don't think so. I feel like the most competent leader should lead, and I always want to be the most competent leader. But I don't feel like I'd be stymied working under someone, at least not for a little while.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'll let the most competent person lead, depending on the situation.
If I truly believe that my skills and force of character outranks everyone else, I will take the lead.
Most of the times this is not a problem, because I always make the first move while everyone else is still sitting there thinking about whatever it is they are thinking. I always go by a "brainstorm" session: "Here's the plan, this is the situation, this is what we need to achieve, this is how I propose we achieve it, and do you agree/have any proposal?" My original plan is almost never 100% followed as I take into account what others have to contribute, as long as they can put it forward appropriately. Sometimes I might replace parts of my plan with parts of someone else's (as long as efficiency isn't threatened) just so they feel more 'included' and also so I can ask them more questions about it when the time comes, it is tiring having to be answerable for the whole group at all times. (Although I will always assume the responsibility as I know the facts, but somehow it takes some weight off my shoulders, does this make sense?)
Most of my friends are Is and are happy to give me the lead.
When others in the group are as equally proactive as I am, I don't feel the need to assert myself as the leader. But let's say that in a group of 8-10, i'd be among the top 3 delegating the work.
If someone else is better in the field I let them lead, but I still do the delegating of work. She/he/they can direct us in the direction but I doubt they have the same skill as I do to get things done.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll let the most competent person lead, depending on the situation.
If I truly believe that my skills and force of character outranks everyone else, I will take the lead.
Most of the times this is not a problem, because I always make the first move while everyone else is still sitting there thinking about whatever it is they are thinking. I always go by a "brainstorm" session: "Here's the plan, this is the situation, this is what we need to achieve, this is how I propose we achieve it, and do you agree/have any proposal?" My original plan is almost never 100% followed as I take into account what others have to contribute, as long as they can put it forward appropriately. Sometimes I might replace parts of my plan with parts of someone else's (as long as efficiency isn't threatened) just so they feel more 'included' and also so I can ask them more questions about it when the time comes, it is tiring having to be answerable for the whole group at all times. (Although I will always assume the responsibility as I know the facts, but somehow it takes some weight off my shoulders, does this make sense?)
Most of my friends are Is and are happy to give me the lead.
When others in the group are as equally proactive as I am, I don't feel the need to assert myself as the leader. But let's say that in a group of 8-10, i'd be among the top 3 delegating the work.
If someone else is better in the field I let them lead, but I still do the delegating of work. She/he/they can direct us in the direction but I doubt they have the same skill as I do to get things done.
That makes sense. Thanks. I think I'm an ENTJ, still.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha, hopefully people still will reply. I wasn't trying to say I settled it, but that your comment didn't make me doubt my E-ness.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Always? When you're passionate about it? When you're most qualified? A lot of tests say always, but I don't feel that way. Maybe I'm an INTJ for that reason, but I don't think so. I feel like the most competent leader should lead, and I always want to be the most competent leader. But I don't feel like I'd be stymied working under someone, at least not for a little while.
1. Not always. just when I am most competent.
2. Sometimes my passion will make me seem really excited and ppl will want me to lead cause I have the most enthusiasm. .. I have to be careful with that.
3. Usually when I am most competent. I get annoyed watching someone struggle thru it... but if it's a training exercise to make someone a better leader, then no, they must struggle because it's about learning.

I think that depends on the definition of 'competent'... if you are the most knowledgeable in the area but have no enthusiasm or charisma and can't present you ideas... then probably not a good leader... but this is where the ENTJ differs from the ESTJ... a good ENTJ will recognize this and inspire teamwork, while 'leading' others to rely on that persons knowledge but fueling. ENTJs are objective and recognize that sometimes teamwork is necessary if it means achieving the goal more efficiently. It's sorta how entj and intj compliment each other. INTJ or even intp, may have the best idea but not be able to rally support, entj recognize their awesome idea, rally support for them and facilitate the execution plan.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I agree with all of the above.

Other times I will push to lead or go above someone is when things are being led by sensors. I'll step in as an advisor, but if things do not change or there is not future vision I'll step in and take over. If my views are not being taken seriously (hello ESTJs!), I'll go to management above them, that fails I will go as far as the executive board where I'm likely to find like minded ENTJs. Never had an executive say no to me. I will drive to get myself heard I do not care about rules like "never speak to people above your leader".

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Only if I care. And only when I have a clear goal, planned strategy and opponents. I don't really care if I'm class leader or valedictorian but I won't stop until I beat you at games. I've learned how to play darts,bowling,billiards,ping pong,golf etc just to win. I don't even like half of these. Apparently one would say I need to prioritize better and at first glance it seems like that but I have my reasons.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not all the time I take lead. As far as it yields good result, I am content with who ever on the top. But I don't deny that I always have considerable weight on the decision-making, whether it is direct or indirect.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I agree with all of the above.

Other times I will push to lead or go above someone is when things are being led by sensors. I'll step in as an advisor, but if things do not change or there is not future vision I'll step in and take over. If my views are not being taken seriously (hello ESTJs!), I'll go to management above them, that fails I will go as far as the executive board where I'm likely to find like minded ENTJs. Never had an executive say no to me. I will drive to get myself heard I do not care about rules like "never speak to people above your leader".
--- This. exactly, Sometimes power tripping ESTJs are a bit of an issue. And if you know that your idea is better and was shutdown, it is often I will include an upper management (exec) in that meeting so they are aware. I always include both the supervisor and upper management in the discussion. However that is only if I REALLY REALLY REALLY care, 99% of the time I don't.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.