Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do you try to consciously make up for or refute the shortcomings/stereotypes of your type when you make posts?

For example, as a sensor, I try and not make my posts sound too short sided because I know that that particular criticism is pretty widely thrown out around the forum. I like to think my Ni is developing well, so I can do this pretty easily. In addition, I sometimes I try and not make quick Fi related judgments or come across as too touchy feely, but I generally fail at that. I often read in the NT sections, but I don't often make posts because I'm worried my limited logical skills will be painfully apparent.

I'm interested in what you guys have to say on this matter.

Edited for clarification: I don't mean if someone attacks your type do you defend it or not. I mean in the content of your posts do you consciously modify your thoughts so they don't look "too ___." Almost like trying to compensate for what most people believe your type lacks.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
I don't really care to try and disprove any stereo type when it comes to my own type. I just stick to being true to me and I figure I'm good.

But I will do it for everyone else's type. I tend to do it quite frequently.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
yea this is very apparent in here at least from what ive seen.... like for example...... with threads.... it seems like there are about 6 posts that are in agreement with each other at first...... then you suddenly have a rush of people saying they disagree.... and it seems like its merely to be different.

Also I am a lot more Te on here than I am in real life. It's just like any social situation though. You kind of adapt to the overall vibe of everyone.

What does it feel like though? I'm curious because usually I'm the only N in the midst of S's.... but what's it like being one of the few S's in the midst of N's?

Reactions: RyRyMini

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea this is very apparent in here at least from what ive seen.... like for example...... with threads.... it seems like there are about 6 posts that are in agreement with each other at first...... then you suddenly have a rush of people saying they disagree.... and it seems like its merely to be different.

Also I am a lot more Te on here than I am in real life. It's just like any social situation though. You kind of adapt to the overall vibe of everyone.

What does it feel like though? I'm curious because usually I'm the only N in the midst of S's.... but what's it like being one of the few S's in the midst of N's?
Maybe I should clarify, I don't mean if someone attacks your type do you defend it or not. I mean in the content of your posts do you consciously modify your thoughts so they don't look "too ___." Almost like trying to compensate for what most people believe your type lacks. Does that make sense?

Hm, being a 4, one would think that I would be glad to be in the minority but in this case I can't say I am. I wouldn't want to change my type or anything as I want it to reflect my true self, but sensors do get a lot of hate. It's usually subtle. Like I've seen in N sections they say they hate shallow conversations and small talk. They don't say they hate talking to sensors but it's usually alluded to. Then of course there are those blunt people who downright say they hate being around sensors. To me, it's strange because I've never seen a single thread in any of the S sections saying they can't stand intuitives. That also fuels the sometimes general N consensus that they're misunderstood, as if the sensors don't even know they aren't wanted as friends by the intuitives. Trust me, we know, and it's evident...at least on this forum. Of course this doesn't apply to all intuitives. I think it would be worse or I would feel a bit more unwelcome if I were an SJ though - props to those SJs who are active contributors. I don't mean to derail my own thread into another S vs N great debate, but that's pretty much what I did. Whoops.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Maybe I should clarify, I don't mean if someone attacks your type do you defend it or not. I mean in the content of your posts do you consciously modify your thoughts so they don't look "too ___." Almost like trying to compensate for what most people believe your type lacks. Does that make sense?

Hm, being a 4, one would think that I would be glad to be in the minority but in this case I can't say I am. I wouldn't want to change my type or anything as I want it to reflect my true self, but sensors do get a lot of hate. It's usually subtle. Like I've seen in N sections they say they hate shallow conversations and small talk. They don't say they hate talking to sensors but it's usually alluded to. Then of course there are those blunt people who downright say they hate being around sensors. To me, it's strange because I've never seen a single thread in any of the S sections saying they can't stand intuitives. That also fuels the sometimes general N consensus that they're misunderstood, as if the sensors don't even know they aren't wanted as friends by the intuitives. Trust me, we know, and it's evident...at least on this forum. Of course this doesn't apply to all intuitives. I think it would be worse or I would feel a bit more unwelcome if I were an SJ though - props to those SJs who are active contributors. I don't mean to derail my own thread into another S vs N great debate, but that's pretty much what I did. Whoops.
That's awful! I hope there is nothing that I put out there that makes any type feel like I wouldn't want to be their friend or that I thought more highly of my type than theirs.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I want to learn about other types and hope to see authenticity in responses. I don’t really mind if they are “stereotypical” as long as they are genuine. Of course, you never really know what's authentic or not, but it would really suck if everyone altered their responses according to what others expect.

-Newb

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I'm don't try to disprove anything but I do question my type sometimes. I feel sometimes I'm more cynical and suspecious than most ENFPs. I don't know if this is because I have stronger Te (I've been this way most of my life) compared to many other ENFPs, so I do like to inquire about any differences I notice. ENFP still seems like the best fit for me. I've exmained the functions and taken tests and there isn't a type that seems better, but I not the touchy feely affectionate lover of humanity that most of my type seems to be. ...However among the peope who have won my trust and affection, I love them loyally and passionately..but it takes awhile for that to be built. Also when I am completely at ease, I definitely have that exuberant bubbly ENFP hyper quality that the type is known for. I just have to get around some obstacles to become what I feel is "the real me" But I feel there's this inner conflict between two sides of my personality.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts

I actually feel a strong affinity towards sensors. We balance each other and it provides a fresh prospective. I don't get this sensor hate.:unsure:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's awful! I hope there is nothing that I put out there that makes any type feel like I wouldn't want to be their friend or that I thought more highly of my type than theirs.
It is awful, but it's something that's said. I don't mind general criticism, but I don't think it's fair to discount someone based on their type without giving them a chance. But to be fair, not that I'm an expert myself but it's usually those who appear to have a more shallow understanding of the theory who are making these judgments.

I want to learn about other types and hope to see authenticity in responses. I don’t really mind if they are “stereotypical” as long as they are genuine. Of course, you never really know what's authentic or not, but it would really suck if everyone altered their responses according to what others expect.

-Newb
Ah, I definitely appreciate this post but I think I'm having major trouble trying to put my question into words. I don't mean being untrue to yourself or your thoughts to try and change what people think. Rather sort of trying to better yourself in a positive way to make up for traits you know you could improve on.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sometimes I am reserved if that's what you mean. When I am reserved posting is like drawing water from a desert. I write my thoughts and then wouldn't post them. Other times I write in a smoother way then if I was loose.

I try to adapt to certain energies sometimes when I'm without the energy to continue discussions on a certain level.
Tends to say what's on my mind when I'm up to it. Though this reservation bit is sometimes a pain.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have to say that you are one of the people I really enjoy the posts of and I have never felt you to be unwelcoming at all. You remind me a lot of my husband (also an ENFP) and that may be some of it, but you seem very open to me.

As to the question, I don't edit what I say in my posts at all (to either seem more or less to 'type') because I figure I am the stereotype on some things but I'm not on others and it's better to just be true to yourself. I don't see how else we are going to get a true picture of the types if we all edit out the more 'typical' behaviours, so I just say what I feel. However, I have been known to not respond to certain posts because I don't want to be misread or if I feel the conversation is too antagonistic. So I guess the way I edit myself is in what I choose to respond to, especially out of the 'safety' of the ISFJ forum.

Reactions: RyRyMini

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts

First let's clarify RyRy, IFPs are not sensing and/or intuiting types, they're feeling types hence the dominant use of Fi. I am not a sensing type as well, I am a thinking type. As for your inquiry, behaving in the manner you allude to in your OP gives some indication that you are behaving in such a manner because you buy into the stereotypes yourself? Stereotypes should not preclude you from being who you are, regardless of type.

People can say what they will, but as someone using Se even at our auxiliary level, we can easily observe the contradictions and hypocrisy of intuiting types behaving in similar manners as the people they claim to loathe. We can go to any discussion where intuiting types make nothing but small talk. I have come to learn there is very little difference in the behavior of those preferring Ne to Se, Ni to Si..... People claiming they loathe sensing types in real life, create identical environments in a microcosm on the forums. I have no problem setting an intuiting type straight that they are no different than their ESP and ISJ cousins for the most part. As someone who mistyped as INTP for years, I have spent many days typing on their, and INTJ's exclusive forums, and I see no difference between ISTJ-INTJ, INTP-ISTP.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I just express myself honestly when I post and try to get my point across in a way that best illustrates it. If, in the process of doing so, it is contrary to stereotypes surrounding my types then so be it. If someone says something that I strongly agree or disagree with or find informative then I will address it as such, regardless of how well their statement fits within the parameters of what a certain type typically thinks. Anyone who tries to model their personalities over their opinions by first wondering "is this what a XXXX or XwX should say/think?" is just being a massive tool and has no original personality of their own.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Hm, being a 4, one would think that I would be glad to be in the minority but in this case I can't say I am. I wouldn't want to change my type or anything as I want it to reflect my true self, but sensors do get a lot of hate. It's usually subtle. Like I've seen in N sections they say they hate shallow conversations and small talk. They don't say they hate talking to sensors but it's usually alluded to. Then of course there are those blunt people who downright say they hate being around sensors. To me, it's strange because I've never seen a single thread in any of the S sections saying they can't stand intuitive. That also fuels the sometimes general N consensus that they're misunderstood, as if the sensors don't even know they aren't wanted as friends by the intuitive. Trust me, we know, and it's evident...at least on this forum. Of course this doesn't apply to all intuitive. I think it would be worse or I would feel a bit more unwelcome if I were an SJ though - props to those SJs who are active contributors. I don't mean to derail my own thread into another S vs N great debate, but that's pretty much what I did. Whoops.
For me, it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that a person is Sensor, not directly anyway (probably a specific function). The issue is in conversation. Which people would likely end up with mutual frustration if we started talking to each other for a while? My brothers both get annoyed whenever conversation leaves literal, simplistic, topics. My older brother seems to hate questions that don't come with binary answers. The question "What if" is always ignored followed by an attack on the rest of the questions' content. I get a bit frustrated when I have the distinct impression that I'm being misunderstood by someone simply because they interpret everything I say too literally.

Honestly, I see this (largely) as a fault on my end but that doesn't change the fact that it appears to be an S/N compatibility issue. That said, one of the people I get along with best is my ISFP brother. So if I've said anything the might be insulting to S types, I hope people take it with a pile of figurative salt. Once again, that's a problem on my end. I need to learn to be more descriptive in less time/space. (N/S balance is better than either extreme)

·
Registered
457 Posts
The only thing I ever try to do in my posts is maintain a minimum level of politeness.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First let's clarify RyRy, IFPs are not sensing and/or intuiting types, they're feeling types hence the dominant use of Fi. I am not a sensing type as well, I am a thinking type. As for your inquiry, behaving in the manner you allude to in your OP gives some indication that you are behaving in such a manner because you buy into the stereotypes yourself? Stereotypes should not preclude you from being who you are, regardless of type.

People can say what they will, but as someone using Se even at our auxiliary level, we can easily observe the contradictions and hypocrisy of intuiting types behaving in similar manners as the people they claim to loathe. We can go to any discussion where intuiting types make nothing but small talk. I have come to learn there is very little difference in the behavior of those preferring Ne to Se, Ni to Si..... People claiming they loathe sensing types in real life, create identical environments in a microcosm on the forums. I have no problem setting an intuiting type straight that they are no different than their ESP and ISJ cousins for the most part. As someone who mistyped as INTP for years, I have spent many days typing on their, and INTJ's exclusive forums, and I see no difference between ISTJ-INTJ, INTP-ISTP.
Totally. I know sensing is not the dominant function for neither you nor I, but it's frequent that all sensors and intuitives are combined into two separate groups on that basis alone. It happens with all of the main letters which is fine since division is a big concept of the theory. I don't buy completely into the stereotypes, but I think they for the most part contain shreads of truth. I can speak personally when I say that a lot of my character flaws are those that ISFPs share stereotypically. So I guess it is an insecurity for me which is why I try to address it.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Perhaps I can lighten the mood with my current sig for you :happy: Stolen likely from an N and reversed, but not maliciously of course :wink: I'm just not like that. I like to get along with everyone I don't care what a person's type is.

Nope at least not from my end. I feel the same way though about what people would think of how I am.

I actually feel a strong affinity towards sensors. We balance each other and it provides a fresh prospective. I don't get this sensor hate.:unsure:
I don't get any of it :sad: Why can't we all just get along?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Do you try to consciously make up for or refute the shortcomings/stereotypes of your type when you make posts?

For example, as a sensor, I try and not make my posts sound too short sided because I know that that particular criticism is pretty widely thrown out around the forum. I like to think my Ni is developing well, so I can do this pretty easily. In addition, I sometimes I try and not make quick Fi related judgments or come across as too touchy feely, but I generally fail at that. I often read in the NT sections, but I don't often make posts because I'm worried my limited logical skills will be painfully apparent.

I'm interested in what you guys have to say on this matter.

Edited for clarification: I don't mean if someone attacks your type do you defend it or not. I mean in the content of your posts do you consciously modify your thoughts so they don't look "too ___." Almost like trying to compensate for what most people believe your type lacks.

The way I see it, I don't try to make up for the shortcomings of my type, but I will adapt some of my conversation based on the forum I'm posting in.

For example, if I'm going to respond to a post in the NT forum, I'm not going to be as touchy-feely as I might on the ISFJ forum. I feel like I'm posting in "NT territory", and I don't want to get on their nerves by bringing in a lot of unwelcome emotion. I think this is because I feel like PerC, especially the individual type/temperament forums, is a place for people to escape and get away from the kind of people they don't like. The last thing I want to do is bring any irritation to them when they're trying to connect with people of their same temperament.

So for me, it's a lot more about other people than it is about how my own type is perceived.

However, I will say that I like it when someone values parts of me that don't stereotypically fit into my type. This is particularly true concerning temperament, because SJ's have bad stereotypes saying that we're uptight, stuck in our ways and unwilling to consider new perspectives. I always like it when people see through me that this isn't always true. However, I don't actively try to break the stereotypes...it just naturally happens.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I don't consciously present myself in a way that is designed to compensate for the negative stereotypes associated with my personality type, or anything else, unless I am in a situation where I am being attacked for it, in which case I might be tempted to prove to the attacker that s/he doesn't really know me as well as s/he assumes. Usually I do this with unhealthy T types who think all F types are irrational. I will intentionally avoid saying "I feel that this is how things are," or "It seems like," or "In my opinion," and will just say things in a more straightforward way without softening the edges so much. This is only for people who perceive humility and tact as weaknesses, and who will not listen to what I say unless I sound very direct and "confident" about it.

Usually, I am just whatever I am, whether it is stereotypical or not. I'm this way about everything, whether it is type, gender, race, class, etc. I don't put any effort into identifying with a certain stereotype, but I'm not actively attempting to form myself into something unnatural at the other extreme either. I've never been the sort to dance around in a cowboy hat listening to country music at the tavern just because I lived in a location where everyone else was doing those things. It would feel inauthentic. I'm not the kind who would refuse to do something I enjoyed just because I was worried about my image either, and if I did feel like dancing to hick songs for fun one day, on a whim, I just might. I don't relate to the modern feminine stereotype of the sexy, body-conscious, pseudo-adventurous conformist with an aggressively sassy attitude, nor do I relate to the traditional feminine stereotype of the weak, helpful, submissive, slightly stupid home-decorator. Even so, I'm not one of those girls who refuses to wear pink just because it might make someone think I associate with the idea of feminine weakness, or one who refuses to talk about sex just because I have a fear of being seen as someone who places my whole sense of worth in it. I believe in being free, not controlled by the existence of other people's expectations, not defying those expectations or countering them, not conforming to them or changing to fit them, but being authentic. Most of the music I listen to isn't all that mainstream, because my tastes are atypical, but if it were popular, I would be overjoyed that others had the opportunity to discover something pleasant with me.

I'm sorry so many people come across as anti-S here. I think a lot of that comes from the secret desire to lash back at a perceived oppressor in a safe setting, and because there are so few S types here, it is kind of like talking about the ones who have harmed us behind their backs, where there is no risk for retaliation. Many of the N types are used to being treated as inferior in the real world, especially if we are _N_P types, subject to the tyranny of the SJ majority, and this ugliness that you are witnessing is kind of like what happens in those soap-opera situations where you will see women sitting around a table being sexists against men because they feel like it is the only way they can "fight back" against their feelings of being oppressed. It isn't right. It is an immature approach, to generalize against a whole group just because some, or even most, of the people in that group have certain unfavorable qualities or persecutory tendencies. Doing so only hurts the exceptions. I know this quite well, because I am used to being an exception in just about every way possible. Hopefully understanding the motives behind the unfairness will make it hurt less when you see it happening, but if it doesn't, that's okay. You have the right to feel hurt by something hurtful. You also have the right to be treated as an individual rather than being subjected to other people's prejudices.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts