Personality Cafe banner

When reading through the forums, can you usually relate to your personality type?

• Yes, usually I can relate.

Votes: 403 65.5%
  • Sometimes I can relate.

Votes: 182 29.6%
  • No, I can't relate.

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • I don't know my personality type but I can relate.

Votes: 12 2.0%
  • I don't know my personality type and I can't relate.

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • I don't have a personality type but I can relate.

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • I don't have a personality type and I can't relate.

Votes: 3 0.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please vote...

When reading through the forums, can you usually relate to your personality type?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Don't get a lot of ISFJ threads, but I usually can relate. :)

I also relate a lot to INFJ threads, and there are a lot more of those.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Most of the time.

One thing I have noticed on many of the type forums is that people often attribute normal everyday human experience to the virtue of being a particular personality type. An exaggeration but, "I crack my knuckles. Do any other INFJs crack their knuckles?" We'll then get a thread full of INFJs patting each other on the back and confirming that INFJs crack their knuckles. There's also the possibility that some folks will post in that thread saying that they don't crack their knuckles, which kind of makes the conversation moot. But then those people are ignored.

There are some things to which I can relate and there are others that I cannot. :mellow:

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
One thing I have noticed on many of the type forums is that people often attribute normal everyday human experience to the virtue of being a particular personality type. An exaggeration but, "I crack my knuckles. Do any other INFJs crack their knuckles?" We'll then get a thread full of INFJs patting each other on the back and confirming that INFJs crack their knuckles. There's also the possibility that some folks will post in that thread saying that they don't crack their knuckles, which kind of makes the conversation moot. But then those people are ignored.
Yeah, I've noticed that also...
Atleast 30% of the threads I see are things like 'Do any other ISFPs enjoy eating spaghetti?' or 'Is wearing non-matching socks an INTP thing?'...

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Even after reading about all of the MBTI stuff in books, I was amazed at how well I related to a lot of the things other ISFJ's post. It's certainly not true for everything, and I've noticed in particular some differences in male/female ISFJ's. And sometimes an ISFJ will post something that just doesn't fit for me. However, for the most part, I feel on the same page as the other ISFJ's on PerC. They'll post things I will relate to very accurately, and sometimes they'll even post things that are true about me that I didn't even realize until they posted it! And I've noticed they often feel the same way about my posts.

Reactions: starflower

·
Registered
448 Posts
A difficult question if you can relate with a lot of people different from you anyways.

If not directly relating, I tend to usually still relate as in seeing how somebody with similar fundamentals could have come to a certain way, like you have a similar hardware but somewhere along the way chose different paths.

But I chose "sometimes" because I think not everyone would see it that way and would just "not relate" instead of looking at those underlying currents (and how things could be with an alternate past), so I guess I'm fitting my answer to some kind of assumed standard and also I don't want people that don't see those kinds of (relatively more subtle) relations to think they're necessarily supposed to relate so exactly to their type because "everyone else is."

That was a mouthful! :confused:

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
I can relate to what quite a few of the types say.. intp, infp, entp, istp, infj.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I voted for "sometimes". There are a number of things attributing an INFJ I can relate to and very closely so, and a slightly smaller number of things which I cannot. There are various aspects of the other personalities I can find familiarity with as well, but overall the INFJ personality is the one I most relate to. All in all, I do not possess the belief that you can be a flat out prime example of a type. Certain other key factors play into it as well, environment and upbringing being two - the type mainly forms the basis for me. :proud:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sometimes. I have a very different mindset than others, even compared to those who have the same personality type as I, that I can just really relate when someone describes an exact same situation that I've experienced.

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
I can relate to multiple types specifically ENFP, and ENFJs.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Rarely do I relate to other ISTPs, and only sometimes do I relate to 6's. The only member (former) that I can really relate to is good ole rousse. we're both ISTP with very strong 6 tendencies and a 5 wing. outside of that I don't really relate. Of course I question how many of the ISTP's are actually ISTP's. I get so sick of people excusing asshole behavior with a T. Rousse once said to me that she thinks a lot of people get into MBTI just to find a "match" and I think she's right. So theres a lot of people who just don't put thought into it.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
A difficult question if you can relate with a lot of people different from you anyways.

If not directly relating, I tend to usually still relate as in seeing how somebody with similar fundamentals could have come to a certain way, like you have a similar hardware but somewhere along the way chose different paths.
Yes, I relate to this :laughing:. I can see how another INFP might end up with a certain conclusion or display a certain behavior, even though it is not one I personally have. Although, I can do that with other types also; I suppose it is a form of empathy. It is easier for me to form these conjectures for an INFP though, as the thought process is even easier for me to imagine.

I'd say I only personally relate to maybe 1/3 of the INFPs online regularly; it seems the same few posters will resonate with me. The rest are as hit & miss as any other type.

Reactions: Aero

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
85-90% of the time I can relate to my fellow INTJs. I also heavily relate to ISTJs and INTPs, which explains why I have some of the differences I do.

Political views, taste in music, caring to some extent what people think (this is becoming less true over time though), and a few other things are where I differ from the "prototype INTJ". There is certainly wide variation within each classification and we are not our letters--plus I'm young and my personality is still developing. Also, I can't relate to some of the super geniuses I've encountered who are adept at computer programming and other highly specialized fields...I can only accept my primitive intelligence for what it is :proud:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.