Personality Cafe banner

When reading through the forums, can you usually relate to your personality type?

• Yes, usually I can relate.

Votes: 403 65.5%
  • Sometimes I can relate.

Votes: 182 29.6%
  • No, I can't relate.

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • I don't know my personality type but I can relate.

Votes: 12 2.0%
  • I don't know my personality type and I can't relate.

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • I don't have a personality type but I can relate.

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • I don't have a personality type and I can't relate.

Votes: 3 0.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
605 Posts
I can relate well with a few different personality types. INTJ and INFP seem to be the ones I identify with most.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I strongly relate to ISTJs--possibly as high as 90% of the time, as long as we are discussing personality traits and motivations. We often differ on personal values, though. Usually, when I find an ISTJ that I do not relate to, they end up being mis-typed.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yes, I can relate to my MBTI type a lot. It's kind of creepy how much I can relate to them. I used to think that nobody was like me, but now I know there are people who are like me. It is a comforting thought, and gives me a sense of belongance.

·
mafia mod
13,290 Posts
Almost always. Its a place where I can be direct and to the point without being accused of being insensitive or judgmental.

The ENTJ thread had a cure for the "Do all ENTJ's......?." Its called the ENTJ answer thread. I think it was something most of the ENTJ's were thinking of doing and one of us finally did it.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Sometimes. Some of the other INFJs I just really can't relate to more than I would anyone else, but there are a few I really relate with. I think this may be because many of us are mistyped as INFJs(at least that's what I think).

Reactions: Aero

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I don't really know that many isfjs I think we are typically quiet and don't initiate threads/conversation as much as some other types. In a way I pick up on and relate to more of the negative aspects.. I think I can be a little pessimistic about my own type at times.. I wish we were a bit more lively over all. :p
I'd say I relate more to infps but I don't think I'm as consistently cool and level headed as they are, plus they are in abundance here so!!! :p hi! mwah! ;) ......oh....so in short not really. Not any more than most other types.

4,757 Posts
hmmm yes and no.

In the forum, there are a whole bunch of INFPs that have been mistyped so that can be misleading and it made me pretty confused when I first came on here.

I think that I relate more on the level of cognitive functions and how we process information rather than things that all INFPs supposedly do. Plus, I relate a lot with enneagram types too.

Reactions: Aero and lirulin

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Sometimes. Because most of the time the discussions are about feelings and what not that per se doesn't have much to do with functions. There's also this confusion about the functions. It's either simplified or expanded upon out of proportion. (Good thing we have a cognitive functions forum now.)

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
Sometimes. I find I have had to rely on my Fi in a lot of ways rather than my Te, which was really not welcome in my past environment. It doesn't appear that Fi is so strong in a lot of INTJs here - either that, or they do not give it so much credit or recognise everything it does. I also find that I don't so much relate to how others talk about Ni, although I can recognise them using it and relate to that. I tend to really focus on the conscious level of Ni and am aware of and interested in how much is deliberately guided, while others like to focus on the unconscious providing answers aspect.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I don't relate to most INFPs, but I relate to them better than I relate to the other types. I relate to some of the things they say instead of not relating to anything.

I relate to INFPs who aren't trying to move away from their INFPness. There aren't many.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I can relate to few because I use a lot of Se and Ne, and am an ENFP + ESFP fusion. So unless there are any other idealist + artisan fusions out there, it's hard to relate.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Most of the time.

One thing I have noticed on many of the type forums is that people often attribute normal everyday human experience to the virtue of being a particular personality type. An exaggeration but, "I crack my knuckles. Do any other INFJs crack their knuckles?" We'll then get a thread full of INFJs patting each other on the back and confirming that INFJs crack their knuckles. There's also the possibility that some folks will post in that thread saying that they don't crack their knuckles, which kind of makes the conversation moot. But then those people are ignored.

There are some things to which I can relate and there are others that I cannot. :mellow:
I agree with this 100%. Although, I think when people post things actually against type, they usually get called out for it. At least in the INFJ forum. Which seems to imply that benign postings, and postings that reaffirm type get support. Anything against type would die or get negative responses.

So at best you have lots of benign postings, and actual type postings. So people should find at least *something* in common with other INFJs in that forum.

yeah, that logic follows right? haha.

·
MOTM Jan 2010
2,988 Posts
I can generally relate to other ENTPs, and I can certainly see where they're coming from. If you break it down by gender, I really really relate to ENTP females and only kind of relate to ENTP males. I feel like we're different species, sometimes :confused:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I see a lot of characteristics I have in other ESFJs but I sometimes find that type is refered to in a derogatory manner. I don't relate to being manipulative or caring greatly about what rung I am on the social ladder. (being an S I have trouble relating to such a abstract concept as a social ladder anyway lol) and we are supposedly the life of the party and I surely don't think I am that. I like talking to people but I am not overly flamboyant. Every so often I stumble on something which makes me doubt my type, go back and investigate, reaffirm my type ad nauseum. But like someone said, there is great variety even amongst types.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I put that I usually do. There are 2 or 3 ISFJs who I almost always relate exactly to what they say and the rest I relate more often than I don't.

Reactions: Rowan
21 - 40 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.