Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been questioning my preference for Sx or Sp. My confusion lies in the fact that I have no one to 'bond' with, in any way -- I intensely dislike most of the people I interact with. My question is, what happens to Sx-variants when their emotional needs go unfulfilled? Do they fall back on their secondary variant? Or do they seek to bond with anyone they can, no matter who they are?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Uh, start working on the third instinct?

Sx/Sp/So. By default, I'm heavily Sx/Sp/__. If I'm not focused on Sx, I'm onto __/Sp/So.

I read in a random Enneagram Monthly article that perhaps the Sx instinct "disintegrates" to So instinct, since if someone has no one to bond with, turning the attention towards the social crowd would increase the chances of finding someone to bond with. Like, want to have sex and have no one to do it with? Use Tinder!

No, I do not just seek to bond with anyone I can, no matter who they are. That's just stupidly common sense-defying, incredibly desperate, and just opens you up to be exploited and used by anyone. Com'on, have some dignity.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I look for anything that sparks me and fires up my intensity. Lack of a relationship, be it friends or more, never stopped me from being incredibly obsessed with something else.
More often than not, it was music and other forms of self-expression. I'm sure many others will find other activities to pour their life into.
I also never quit working on my desirability. It's always in the back of my mind. Though I'm sure me being an image type might play into that.

The point is, Sexual seeks to merge its life form with the object of desire. Preferably, this happens in a relationship, but that obviously isn't there 'always'. Often when they're not in a relationship, there will be a strong drive to find an avenue where they can substitute this need.

Sx dominant means that, at least on some level, not looking for an 'object' to obsess about is impossible.
It's incredibly difficult for me not to focus on my Sexual instinct needs. To a fault, they're the priority. And nothing else in my life feels right without meeting these needs.

I don't find myself relying on other instincts in order to 'replace' my Sx, instead, they will be used to strengthen the Sx connection, or obsession, with 'the other'.

-

Something else; I can't remember a period in my life where I wasn't somehow obsessed with a person. It fucks me up big time, but I can't not-obsess.
Years of obsession for just one person that I never even dated. Go figure...

·
Registered
919 Posts
Just to be clear, I think what @Sun Daeva wrote is also correct. However, I'm of the sx/sp "co-dominant" instinct variety, whereas what Sun Daeva wrote sounds more like purely sx variety.

Susan Rhodes said:
Determining your Subtype Arena

In the Riso-Hudson approach to the enneagram, there's an effort made to determine the "stacking order" of the subtypes, that is, which arena is most dominant, second most dominant, and least dominant. This adds another layer of refinement to the typing process.

I've used this idea as the basis for developing six subtype profiles that are used independent of type:

• self-preservation subtype
  • sexual subtype
  • social subtype
  • self-preservation/sexual subtype
  • self-preservation/social subtype
  • sexual/social subtype
Again, using Type 9 as an example, we could have six kinds of Nines: three with one dominant subtype arenas (SP, SX, or SOC) and three others with two dominant arenas (SP-SX, SP-SOC, or SX-SOC).

It's theoretically possible to go further and determine which of the two dominant arenas is most dominant. In this case, we'd have one profile for Nines whose subtype is SP-SX and another profile for Nines whose subtype is SX-SP, based on the order of dominance. But such a breakdown is probably too fine-grained to be useful.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
I look for anything that sparks me and fires up my intensity. Lack of a relationship, be it friends or more, never stopped me from being incredibly obsessed with something else.
More often than not, it was music and other forms of self-expression. I'm sure many others will find other activities to pour their life into.
I also never quit working on my desirability. It's always in the back of my mind. Though I'm sure me being an image type might play into that.

The point is, Sexual seeks to merge its life form with the object of desire. Preferably, this happens in a relationship, but that obviously isn't there 'always'. Often when they're not in a relationship, there will be a strong drive to find an avenue where they can substitute this need.

Sx dominant means that, at least on some level, not looking for an 'object' to obsess about is impossible.
It's incredibly difficult for me not to focus on my Sexual instinct needs. To a fault, they're the priority. And nothing else in my life feels right without meeting these needs.

I don't find myself relying on other instincts in order to 'replace' my Sx, instead, they will be used to strengthen the Sx connection, or obsession, with 'the other'.

-

Something else; I can't remember a period in my life where I wasn't somehow obsessed with a person. It fucks me up big time, but I can't not-obsess.
Years of obsession for just one person that I never even dated. Go figure...
I can relate to this on so many levels.

sx is obsession, for a person, the lack of a person, music, movies, art, your cause, your political stance, it is the obsession itself, not the object that makes you an sx.

no matter who they are? haha, that is just out of question for sx/sp, for me at least. It is ridiculous how lonely I feel even at times I am surrounded by people, even when I am asked out and I feel no spark so I just avoid them. Hold on to an ideal or someone you never had the chance to bond with or your stars not aligning. Another just won't do. It is the longing itself what I am left with but it is just there, I can't switch it on and off.

It is in the subtlest hint the sparks in your eyes and the words run to your mind when someone talks about a movie you like and you get to tell about it. You are just never without.

But really, lack of that deep connection is bitter.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

Very well said! I also have a similar experience.

I would add that "Do you have a passion for something?" is a good SX-dom question to ask someone, because it addresses their obsession. The question avoids small talk and speaks about the individual. If the person has a passion, I would say that they are in the 'obsession phase' (to a mate/lifestyle/icon), but if they don't have one yet, they are in the 'seeking phase' (experimenting/feel lacking/imagining). The feeling of personal lack and inadequacy is what motivates SX-doms to obtain the object of their obsessions, as well as intensifying feelings of jealousy when someone else has something they don't.

One of the distinct characteristics of the Sexual instinct is the extremes. In comparison to SP and SO, the SX is the more 'crazy' and 'emotionally fueled' type, because the lengths which SX-doms are willing to pursue their object of obsession in order to 'merge' with it at a spiritual level is extreme, impulsive, and reckless. It contributes to addictive lifestyles which on the other hand, generates the most memorable moments. SX shines in adolescence.

One expression of SX is when people believe immovable objects as a living being or a part of themselves (e.g. their beloved sword, car, bike, pet). It is about creating an intense connection that goes beyond physical boundaries and death (To fall love with someone to the extent that death does not matter).

SX: I will die with you
SO: I will die for my country/family/cause
SP: I am not dying

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Uh, start working on the third instinct?

Sx/Sp/So. By default, I'm heavily Sx/Sp/__. If I'm not focused on Sx, I'm onto __/Sp/So.

I read in a random Enneagram Monthly article that perhaps the Sx instinct "disintegrates" to So instinct, since if someone has no one to bond with, turning the attention towards the social crowd would increase the chances of finding someone to bond with. Like, want to have sex and have no one to do it with? Use Tinder!

No, I do not just seek to bond with anyone I can, no matter who they are. That's just stupidly common sense-defying, incredibly desperate, and just opens you up to be exploited and used by anyone. Com'on, have some dignity.

Oh, I wasn't saying I did it; I was just asking if it was a hypothetical reaction that I could gauge myself by. As for sexuality -- It's more of a desire for intense connection, rather than physical sex specifically. I don't know if this is the SX instinct, or just normal Enneagram 9 behavior.
@Sun Daeva , thanks. I'm wondering if the problems I've been going through as of late are caused by not having the intensity I need in relationships and hobbies and whatnot. Lately I've been trying to fall back on food and music and stimulation in a SP-like way, but if anything it just makes me feel even more empty inside. My driving motivator seems to be intensity in people, subjects, and situations, more than anything else.
@Quang , I have repeated fantasies about either dying with (an imaginary) somebody else, or for their sake. Lol, the SX example you gave seems quite accurate.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Oh, I wasn't saying I did it; I was just asking if it was a hypothetical reaction that I could gauge myself by.
I guess I was mostly responding to this part: "I've been questioning my preference for Sx or Sp. ... Do they fall back on their secondary variant?"

If there's no clear winner, then there may be a possibility that you could have both instincts be co-dominant. That's how it is for me. Even if I feel fulfilled in the sx area of life, if my sp needs aren't met, then the shadow of that instinct takes over... Generally forcing me to decide between the person "fulfilling" my sx needs and my own personal survival and happiness. But if it gets to that point, then I'd realize eventually that the person monopolizing my attention and energy was acting more like a leech, and all this person provides is just a temporary escape fantasy. It feels like a deep connection, but feelings can be deceptive, and when I snap back to reality, I find that there wasn't really anything. Nothing substantial left over. Unless you count that painful feeling analogous to a cocaine withdrawal that lasts for months.

From past experiences, not being aware of how my sx needs manifest themselves lead to me giving into those feelings, which took me to some pretty shitty places. It's also incredibly tiring to give into all the time, because I didn't always feel like I had a choice in the matter. I'm also susceptible to the sx needs of others, and other people are not always safe to be around one-on-one, so I have to drag these interactions out of sx and into so. While it might be painful and it sucks to be "incomplete" without "my other half", it's definitely preferable over being in a shitty and toxic relationship with someone who can fulfill those sx needs.

Sometimes the sx needs are unfulfilled by choice, because the options it presents are all incredibly threatening to the other areas of my life. That intense longing for a deep connection is there, but it's not the end of the world, and it also goes away. And comes back again, and goes away again. And comes back again, and goes away again. Forever and ever. That's right. There may be people in this world who could "fulfill" my sx needs, and I'd still rather die alone than to be with them. I clearly don't have as positive of a regard to that instinct than most other people who replied on this thread. While yes, there's that bitter feeling of "what the fuck is wrong with me that I'm alone", it does not compare to my bitter rage to those who could ruin that part of me. Must... protect... inner idealism...

Above all instincts, I seek to have balance in my life. I just know that sx is in the top part because it takes so little to disproportionately throw the rest of my in chaos. Problems related to sx-area even literally makes my stomach hurt and causes GI tract problems. Thank fucking god the sp in my stack is co-dominant; it feels so responsible in comparison.

As for sexuality -- It's more of a desire for intense connection, rather than physical sex specifically. I don't know if this is the SX instinct, or just normal Enneagram 9 behavior.
Yeah, I know, I was being facetious. And because that's the most classic definition of lust. *Fry's squinty face* "Can't tell if having sex or making love..."

·
Registered
919 Posts
I finally figured out why it is that I'm bothered. This definitely won't be a popular opinion, but I think it needs to be said.

Seven is in the ideal-seeking triad and their virtue is sobriety.

Didn't the Fauvres compare the sx instinct to point four? This thing about longing for a deep connection and fantasizing about the ideal partner. The thing about ideals is that no human can live up to your idealized/idolized image/expectations/standards of human perfection. This obsession is just fixation to Holy Perfection in another form. People are already complete wholes. What's the point of obsessing for the "perfect" partner, precisely imagined to fill in a hole you think/feel you have, who cannot possibly exist outside of your mind/heart? Prepare to be constantly disappointed. "Frustration" is another name for the "Ideal-seeking" triad, right?

The thing about ideals is that, within a seven, there's always this doubt at the back of their mind, "is this it?" And after trying a little bit of something, the voice in the back of the seven's head goes "this isn't it". There's one aspect of sobriety that goes "this isn't what you're really looking for", and there's another aspect that goes "what you've been truly looking for has been with you the entire time".

Sevens are "fear forgotten", which is both descriptive and a warning. The longer and harder you ignore that voice in your head, the more you try to mute the voice of point one's superego, the one that goes "this isn't it", the harder and more painful the withdrawal. And sevens fear being in pain, especially deep, soul-crushing pain stemming from being forcibly ripped from their escape fantasy.

And when you're suffering from withdrawal symptoms, emotional pain and physical pain are experienced "as one". Sx-doms seek a merging connection, so how's that? When your brain is depleted from dopamine, serotonin, and endorphins (the "feel good" chemicals), it feels like life is so painfully barren, empty, and not worth living for. And this realization cannot be escaped because the physical pain you'll suffer will always be a reminder. As long as you're alive, you're suffering.

An sx-dom who cannot stop being obsessed, who cannot accept and make peace with that imagined hole, who absolutely refuses to stop trying to fill in that hole in order to feel "complete", and is absolutely willing to sacrifice everything else in their life in order to attempt to fill in that perceived hole...

In other words, by continuing to be willingly fixated to the sexual instinct, and by continuing to willingly ignore your blind spots (the ACTUAL holes in your life), you're no better than a opiate junkie looking for their next fix. "Deep" has a connotation of "more and more". Like an actual addict, you can't be satisfied by anything less. Why is "just the tip" dangerous?

Why is it considered a bad thing to be a person who, once they found an intimate relationship, completely forgets about the rest of their lives, completely ignoring their friends and family and other obligations? Because inevitably, when the relationship ends, that person will have no one else to turn to for help and support. Friends can try to be supportive and understanding, but if you keep dropping them in favor of a potential lover, then those friends will eventually feel like they're being used. Like things to be discarded once something better comes along.

So when your one sx-relationship crashes and burns under the weight of its instability, you'll have no one to turn to. You'll truly be suffering alone. Not just emotionally, but also physically.

However, just because the ideal of perfection is impossible to attain, doesn't mean we shouldn't try. Because while attempting to attain that goal, we improve ourselves and better the condition of the world around us.

But here? Think about this: sx-doms are idealizing/idolizing a perfect soulmate in order to have a deep, intimate emotional connection beyond all boundaries. They're seeking connection to something everlasting, beyond the boundaries of life and death. Looking for a perfect someone else to provide them a portal to the realm of the eternal. People are just mere mortals, and in order to reach "beyond death", one must actually cross and experience the boundaries of death. But people will just try to cheat death and still expect to be rewarded. There are just so many ways to become disappointed, and so few ways to become satisfied. What kind of life is that?

And when they do come across someone that matches their internal image, do you know what it is that they do? They ignore all of the very real flaws, faults, incompatibility, and even the very real humanity from their match. They elevate their match as their "soulmate", "the one" they've spent their entire life seeking. When they snap out of that fantasy, the flaws become more apparent and glaring. This person is no longer "perfect". The search for "the one" continues. So much for that "deep connection".

It's incredibly objectifying and dehumanizing. Thinking, believing, and treating someone as less than human is dehumanizing, but so is thinking of someone as more than human. These people aren't gods, and as mere mortals, they cannot truly and permanently grant you bliss like that. If you cannot be happy by yourself, if you cannot find happiness in the presence of loneliness, then you will definitely not be happy in a relationship. And you'll just continue to cycle through objects of obsessions until you die.

For no other reason, than because you're putting all of the responsibility of fulfilling this desire entirely on the other person. If all you're doing is just enjoying this connection and doing nothing on your own to make that connection truly lasting on planet earth, then what makes you think that if such a perfect ideal partner existed, that they'd settle for you?

Be grateful for the experiences that you have now, while you're reading this in the present, because you'll never know when "beyond death" becomes literal. For when you think you've found "the one", something happens and they're literally dead. Now you're alone again. If this was "one in a million", then what are the odds that you'll find another available one, and how long will that take? For how long will you suffer until you find your next fix?

Sevens, especially sx-sevens, seek unity with light or essence of being. What we've been seeking for has been within us the entire time. Everyone has essence and everyone has light. No wonder sevens have a reputation for "narcissism". How can you love others if you don't love yourself? How would you even know what "love" is unless you feel that way about yourself?

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
@cir nailed it on the head, damn

Reactions: methanexxskies

·
Registered
INTP sp/so 9w1 6w5 4w5
5,530 Posts
sx is obsession, for a person, the lack of a person, music, movies, art, your cause, your political stance, it is the obsession itself, not the object that makes you an sx.
Thank you for posting that. It's a frustration of mine to see the SX instinct so often framed only in terms of relationships or sex drive, often accompanied by the implication that the other instincts don't want relationships or that they lack sex drive.

SX: I will die with you
SO: I will die for my country/family/cause
SP: I am not dying
I don't know whether you meant to be humorous or not, but that last one had me dying laughing. :) (Yes, pun intended.)

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I've been questioning my preference for Sx or Sp. My confusion lies in the fact that I have no one to 'bond' with, in any way -- I intensely dislike most of the people I interact with. My question is, what happens to Sx-variants when their emotional needs go unfulfilled? Do they fall back on their secondary variant? Or do they seek to bond with anyone they can, no matter who they are?
The Sexual instinct is about a spark between two people. It's about chemistry and merging. People with a strong sx instinct would not take it from anybody who shows intrest. That's like trying to choke down a plate of disgusting food.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
I feel like I i am in a hurry to be somewhere I don't know where exactly, which really prevents me from enjoying my life or building step by step goals towards a long term vision. Always longing for something, feeling too much but with no outlet. I have felt this immense connection two times in my lives and although, they were the ones to initiate and say things that are similar, that they do not feel this way with other, it just is not the same, they feel familiar as if they have known me blah blah the relationship ended abruptly and wildly stupidly. I just hate being an sx, I wish I could let this all out through work or some passion but I don't have it.

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 531 sx/sp
1,438 Posts
I can relate...

I don't think it matters though having another outlet- I'm passionate about my work but the sx person drive is still there. I'll tell myself that I don't need it, I am perfectly happy being alone, and I am- but sx is there going, "you know what would be cool? let's intensely talk to this person over here."

·
Registered
INFP, 4w5 sx/sp ♂
1,448 Posts
If I can’t find and form mutual bonds with people (and I can’t, I never can), I throw myself into activities and dreams I’m passionate about instead. Fantasizing about love all the while. Without this, I implode. Even so, it isn’t enough.

It’s like being lost in the desert, dying of thirst, and finding a pool of salt water. It keeps you going for a while longer, but the thirst will not go away.

In other words, I have to direct the SX energy elsewhere, or else it’s like a cannon fire being shot in random directions, and it will end up hurting someone.

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 531 sx/sp
1,438 Posts
Reactions: ImminentThunder

·
Registered
INFP, 4w5 sx/sp ♂
1,448 Posts
Ah sorry, I was probably being a little too over the top there.

Social anxiety, mostly! And just weak social skills in general (I don’t know if it’s the ADHD, or what). I’ve made a lot of progress, I can meet people and carry on conversations, but I still can’t seem to find the person I’m searching for, and I have been looking for so, so long. Ever since I was a little kid, I always dreamed of finding and falling for the right person, but it hasn’t happened and I’m in my late 20s now. I probably need to meet more people outside of work / the same 4 groups I spend time with. But for some reason, I don’t. I think it is fear of rejection, maybe. Probably that, combined with over-idealization of how things should be.

I can make friendly connections now, after a lot of hard work, but I cannot seem to go any deeper than that even though it is what I most desire.

I can find those who are interested in me, and those who I am interested in. But, there is almost never any overlap.

A lot of it is 4 jealousy, too (why does everyone else get this so easily when it is so hard for me) so maybe that’s not SX-specific.

Reactions: WickerDeer
1 - 20 of 57 Posts